Sign in to follow this  
aussieterry84

Will my system handle a GTX 285 ok or will it bottleneck?

my specs atm

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.1ghz

2 gig ram

8800gt 512mb

Im thinking of upgrading of course 2 4 gig of ram but i also wanna upgrade my GPU to the GTX 285.

But will my system handle it ok or will it bottleneck?

my specs atm

2 gig ram

8800gt 512mb

Im thinking of upgrading of course 2 4 gig of ram but i also wanna upgrade my GPU to the GTX 285.

Be fine with that.

Absolutely your system will be fine.

But you'll probably get The Random Lockup issue, just like almost everybody else with a GeForce

I run a GTX285 and i haven't had a single crash. And get pretty good performance :) Both in Vista x64 and win7 x64

About goddamn time i lucked out though, Arma 1 STILL has some crazy low res texture problems for me sometimes. And OFP runs like arse.

Edited by D_O_A

GTX 275 here and no random lockups either. Not in Vista 64, Windows 7 64, and XP 32.

my specs atm

2 gig ram

8800gt 512mb

Get yourself that card, and while your at it, look into over clocking the E8500, you should be able to run very comfortably at 4.0gig with air cooling. The bottleneck your system has at the moment is the ram by the way. I'd get another 2 gig.

ArmA2 is very CPU heavy, but how much CPU you need really depends on what framerate you want. Can you lower the graphics settings and get the framerate you want with your current GPU? If so, then a faster card will allow you to get the same framerate at higher settings. However, if you aren't pleased with the way the game runs at even the lowest settings, then you should look into getting a faster CPU too.

But you'll probably get The Random Lockup issue, just like almost everybody else with a GeForce

I got a GTX 285 and never had any problems..

Alan.rio;1367607']Get yourself that card' date=' and while your at it, look into over clocking the E8500, you should be able to run very comfortably at 4.0gig with air cooling. The bottleneck your system has at the moment is the ram by the way. I'd get another 2 gig.[/quote']

My old E8400 ran 3.7ghz stable with stock cooler, a very OC friendly CPU ;)

Edited by JW Custom

Alan.rio;1367607']Get yourself that card' date=' and while your at it, look into over clocking the E8500, you should be able to run very comfortably at 4.0gig with air cooling. The bottleneck your system has at the moment is the ram by the way. I'd get another 2 gig.[/quote']

I dont know how to overclock and dont intend to :( lol

sweet that this will work with my system ^_^

im just hoping that my case will fit it in :(, its a mid sized case i think not sure i dont know much about hardware :D its a black case with grey front and says ATX on the receipt.

Here's my checklist of what i need:

GTX 285

4 gigs of fast ram

600watt PSU

spammer, and troll... hmm anyways get the card Terry!

On the PSU, get a high 12v Amperage, no less than 60amps on a single rail.

The GTX285 will be about 80% faster than the 8800GT, and in some cases even more as it has extra 512mb of VRAM and faster bus!

The E8500 @ 3.1ghz will be enough to handle the GTX285 without bottlenecking in most games. However in ARMA2 in my opinion the CPU is more important unless you run very high settings.

I would do some research into overclocking as its VERY EASY and you can easily hit 4ghz if your motherboard is ok. You will see more improvement from the overclock than from the video card in ARMA2 I think.

Yapa

Would a 265/275/285 be ok with my Pentium Dual core 2.8ghz? if not,what is the best card that would'nt bottleneck at my Cpu?

The most important part about asking if your system will handle the GTX 285 would be make sure you have the empty slot for it. As the GTX285 takes two physical slots. Next you will also need to make sure you PSU can handle the card. Minimum would be a 575w PSU that has atleast a 12v 42a rating.

my specs atm

2 gig ram

8800gt 512mb

It's a great combo actually.

Also overclocking is really only a matter of changing one setting in BIOS if you want it to be. You won't hit 4 ghz with just raising FSB , but you will get a respectable overclock very easily without knowing anythig about overclokcing by doing just that and only that. Don't worry about it.

Edited by Game__On

You recommend more ram but dont know his OS. If he uses a 32bit OS more Ram will be of no use to him cos it can only assign 2gb max to a programm.

i think GTX 285 is currently the best GPU for ArmA2. however it needs fast CPU. i think 2,6 - 2,8 GHz is minimum for this card. here you can see some A2 performance tests: http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ARMAII_gpu_performance/page3.asp
you cant use that lame example of how cards preform, in the Demo "benchmark". And how they did it? If you play user missions, and or Dom./Evo ect you wont be having that limit that they got. More card is good, more CPU is good. There hasn't been a good performance review yet of the total game.

On the note of drivers, seems allot of 295 reviews use "ForceWare 186.18",

Edited by kklownboy

GTX275 here and the only crashing i had was a mission bug which was repeatable( 3 times!), and some repeatable CTD when i turned my shadows DOWN (work that one out? lol) Turned the shadows back up and never had a problem since!

last week i think i spent about 12 hours straight playing multiplayer with no crashes, so i think things are running pretty well :D