Sign in to follow this  
afp

Minimal crosshair

Since "no weapon cursor" is far from being realistic by removing target awarness completely, I created a more discrete crosshair as a higher compromise to realism. Not so visible and useless at long distance, the time you need to aim with it is pretty much the same to a "rough shot".

Download:

MinimalCrosshair v1.04

Changes:

Version 1.04 - server keys added

Version 1.03 - fixed small bug on S8Launcher noted by zGuba;

Version 1.02 - added 2 lines cursors, changed color to white for ArmA 2, separated cursors for ArmA1 and ArmA2;

Version 1.01 - added 4 lines cursors;

Install:

Copy it in an existing mod folder, or create a new one and add it to the command line (ex. create "ArmA2 Folder\Minimal", start arma "arma2.exe -mod=Minimal"). It also works with ArmA 1.

Video (watch it in HD / full screen - click "youtube" text in the right bottom corner):

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/ghCzfpRWV1U&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&hd=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/ghCzfpRWV1U&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&hd=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

Screenshot:

MinimalCrosshair.jpg

Edited by afp

Can you please post some pictures for those who still don't have the game?

Thank you very much.

I think the crosshair is a bit too precise. I don't use it because I AM A MAN but some of my friends get carried away and piss me off. :)

How about removing the vertical thing in the center and increase the space between the reticules.

Now the cross hair looks like this:

]'[

and it's too precise. The middle thing points exactly at the center even when you are shooting in the 100m range.

I was thinking about something like this:

]____ [

that opens up even more when you move around. That way you know where the center of the screen is (to point at crates, open doors, heal mates etc) and at the same time you cannot target anything that isn't very close.

Of course you wouldn't have to read this if the OP had provided some screenshots!

:)

Edited by Master gamawa

It works with ArmA 1 too, so don't worry if you don't have ArmA 2 yet.

(It takes less than 30s to download and install it, the screenshot cannot really reflect the gameplay feeling.)

Edited by afp

Ok, I tried it with ArmA1 and in my opinion i prefer to using No croasshair at all.

From both, Original BIS croasshair and this croasshair addon, the original ArmA2 cross hair is my choice.

Its strange to see 3 small things in the screen like you have. Maybe the Crosshairs should be similar to BIS Original ones but a bit invisible as transparent.

But i bet others might find you addon useful. Keep it up :)

I don't use any crosshairs either but I know a lot of my teamates do, i agree that the transparency is the issue whichever crosshair you choose to use.

If someone knows of a way to reduce the transparency that would be useful.

Edited by Zebb

Thank you afp. This is a great mod. I don't think it is too vague. With this crosshair I expect I could hit 5/10 shots at 25m on a man sized target which seems about right.

Thanks Frederf :)

The more I play, the more I realise I just found the best solution, it doesn't helps you very much but it helps you a bit, just the way it should be.

So your new reticle is the 3 widespread, lt. green pips in the picture? I don't see a 4th one at the top - is there a top one? If not, I think a top pip would be good for when the bottom one is not visible (due to lack of contrast).

I think your idea is excellent...it greatly reduces the effectiveness of reticle shooting but it still tells you where your gun is pointing in case you come upon an OPFOR at very short range - which is a problem if there is no reticle.

When I started Arma, I fell into the bad habit of always reticle-shooting because with the default Arma tracers (every bullet is a tracer), it makes shooting moving targets WAY too easy - even distant ones. I've since moved on to scope-shooting. I waste a ton of bullets on moving targets but you get better with time and I assume it's much more realistic.

I look forward to trying this in Arma. Combine your reticle with Six Sense Tracers (one tracer out of every 5?) and everyone is forced to man up!

i think the crosshair is a bit too precise. I don't use it because i am a man but some of my friends get carried away and piss me off. :)

how about removing the vertical thing in the center and increase the space between the reticules.

Now the cross hair looks like this:

]'[

and it's too precise. The middle thing points exactly at the center even when you are shooting in the 100m range.

]____ [

that opens up even more when you move around. That way you know where the center of the screen is (to point at crates, open doors, heal mates etc) and at the same time you cannot target anything that isn't very close.

:)

agreed!

Since I cannot turn to other types of weapon crosshairs since I'm using it, I have updated the first post with a new version. Now Minimal Crosshair comes in 4 flavours, 3 or 4 reticle lines, stronger or lighter. Have fun :)

]____ [

+1

Like what the machine guns have except wider.

dude, i really like your crosshair.

i usually play without a crosshair but on rare occasions i want to play with 3rd person and i want some kind of aiming indication without feeling like im cheating.

having a crosshair kinda renders the iron sights useless.

your crosshair did the job for me :) thanks

The variation with three lines is just ace - Great job my friend.

afp this is a genius mod that solves the old crosshair on-or-off argument completely, thank you!

however i think 3 lines still gives too much help - could you please add an extra version with just 2 horizontal lines: - -

this would give me just enough help to judge snapshots without letting me aim 'properly'.

afp this is a genius mod that solves the old crosshair on-or-off argument completely, thank you!

however i think 3 lines still gives too much help - could you please add an extra version with just 2 horizontal lines: - -

this would give me just enough help to judge snapshots without letting me aim 'properly'.

Here it is, check the first post. I've also changed the ArmA 2 color to white since it was too hardly visible in green areas.

Edited by afp

Not to knock your work or anything of the sort, and in this community it is very well much appreciated and respected for those that will use it, but why does one need a crosshair anyways, it really isn't realistic at all.

I used to play with Crosshairs back in the OFP days, but after playing Red Orchestra (a WW2 Pc game) where there are no crosshairs on any of the guns, you have nothing but iron sites to fight with. Turning the crosshairs off in OFP while back, i found the game became alot more exciting, somewhat challenging, but alot more immersive, and definatly gave more of a realism sense. I think work should be done to make the sites on the guns more ironsite oriented.

make them clearer, or at least closer to their actual counterparts if such a gun needs, it, there are many guns already with ironsites but some i believe need to be adjusted.

This is what seriously bothered me about Arma when it came out every stupid gun had a scope on it almost, or some red dot site, seriously what happened to the days when men shot rifles with nothing but iron sites and killed a enemy soldier at 400m.

Easier does not make a better soldier, a better soldier is a combination of instinct, training, and training with the guts to get up front and stick a bayonette in the enmyies eye, or catch him at a distance and pick him off with a shot with iron sites.

Turn of the cross hairs, or go back to call of duty and counterstrike.

The reason crosshairs are used is because when u have a game like ArmA 2 where u have a floating point crosshair... you cannot tell where exactly you're aiming at the time.. because you arent physically holding the gun so you dont know by the direction you're holding it.. having this sort of crosshair allows u to know the GENERAL direction you're aiming.. but will stop u getting easy kills from miles away without using the irons!

Very good work.

Turn of the cross hairs, or go back to call of duty and counterstrike.

I do not intend to get in a crosshair / nocrosshair debate I'm just saying that "the way I do things is the best and everybody should do like me" way of thinking is a dead end.

The reason crosshairs are used is because when u have a game like ArmA 2 where u have a floating point crosshair... you cannot tell where exactly you're aiming at the time.. because you arent physically holding the gun so you dont know by the direction you're holding it.. having this sort of crosshair allows u to know the GENERAL direction you're aiming.. but will stop u getting easy kills from miles away without using the irons!

Very good work.

What he said :D

Having no crosshair is also v unrealistic - in reality your muscles give you some information about roughly where you are aiming. That's why afp's mod is such a perfect compromise.

Edited by Mandrake5

Furthermore, there are many ironsights in the game that do not function realistically at all, e.g. M203.

Yes, we need M203 crosshair definetely, cause I can't hit a s**t with this otherwise great addon.