Sign in to follow this  
BLSmith2112

Long Distance Use of Cover MP.

If only I had two PCs to do some screenshot testing from two angles... Some of these scenarios I really believe the person who should be at an advantage is put at a lower advantage. Some people have high graphics settings, some have low... how does the game compensate?

Scenario One: There is a small hill in the middle of a flat landed area. On this hill is a few trees and bushes. You find yourself kneeling & hiding behind one of these bushes and a player spots you at a range of 150-200m.

Question: The resolution of the bush is lower at longer distances, does that resolution affect the quality of concealment for the one hiding?

--Point I want to make on this question is that, while you may be completely behind a bush, you may be able to lean and see through a few pieces of shrubbery. While you can see through a few pixels of shrubs, can the other player see your entire head? Or none of you at all?

Scenario Two: You are in the same location as senario one, but instead of hiding behind a bush you are laying in the grass.

Question 1: Since grass no longer appears 20m or so out of your player, and you are laying on a hill - it seems as though (while you think your in cover), your a prime target for everyone with bullets. Are you really in cover?

--Point I want to make here is that I remember reading that ether your player or the terrain lowers/raises to compensate for your use of grass as cover. Does this work if the person in cover is laying on a hill angled towards the one doing the shooting?

Question 2: You are in this grass, but as you lay down and crawl - the grass is flattened. Since it is flattened slightly around you and you are on a small hill looking down - this has opened a small opportunity for you to see between a few pieces of grass and see your target. How does this "terrain leveling" come into play?

Scenario Three: You are in a forest, on a large hill. Someone sees you running on this hill at about 200-250m out in some flatlanded area. Trees appear to lose significant resolution as you get further away from them. So while the guy that is looking at you at a long distance is seeing trees with lower resolution, you are the guy in the forest everything at higher resolution.

Question: When the trees lose some quality at longer distances, doesn't this make the job a lot easier for the guy looking into the forest? Doesn't the complexity of the leafs and branches provide that essential concealment while your in there? What about the guy looking out of the forest who is seeing all the branches and leafs while the other guy doesn't have to?

Grass is tied to terrain detail, wich is a server side setting along with visibility.

I believe object detail does remove some bushes and objects when set to very low though, it also changes the detail of the grass significantly but not the density or radius.

Scenario 1: Not a problem.

Scenario 2: A problem, although i think PVP missions should have the grass turned off.

Scenario 3: I think it works well since the low detail tree lods are.. big.

You can easily test this further by placing two playable (not grouped) units in the editor, and switch betwean them ( default T), then compare what you see with diferent graphics settings.

Edited by Heatseeker

You can easily test this further by placing two playable (not grouped) units in the editor, and switch betwean them ( default T), then compare what you see with diferent graphics settings.

I hadn't thought about teamswitch, I suppose I can try that.

Question: When the trees lose some quality at longer distances, doesn't this make the job a lot easier for the guy looking into the forest? Doesn't the complexity of the leafs and branches provide that essential concealment while your in there? What about the guy looking out of the forest who is seeing all the branches and leafs while the other guy doesn't have to?

The trees the shooter sees are not the collision model trees that will block and deflect bullets.

Grass and bushes are not cover.

Well I'm sorry for not being perfect in my choice of words. Grass and bushes are a place for.... hiding. Happy?

Technically some are for cover because I swear a few bushes are bulletproof. :D