Right this is a walkthrough which has taken me many attempts to do. Due to bugs you won't always get to complete it, so it may take a couple of times to do this. It is also possible to complete this mission without firing a single shot from your own weapons and return to base fully armed.
I will give you map co ordinates in this guide but to use them you have to zoom all the way out in the map and use the numbers on the outside of the map and you do it like this go along the bottom then up for example 10, 03 you need to find the number 10 at the bottom of the map then go up til you find 03 on the left hand side and your location will be in the box where the 2 numbers meet up.
1. Get out the osprey and speak to the Sentry guard
2. Optional you can take the humvee to the top of the hill just to get there quicker but this was the only time I actually used it.
3. Speak to the officer
4. Optional go round the back of where the officer is based and get to the side of the UAV terminal (it looks like a trailer with an ariel on top) you should see an open panel it wont give you the option but if you are close enough and press ] you should get UAV appear in your actions tab. You will want to move the UAV to a safe height by pressing pg up or whatever your vehicle control is for gain altitude is. Press m to go into the map view and click on one of the waypoints to change where the UAV flies. Now what you are mainly looking for are white dots or heat signatures in any forest areas you fly over, if you see any, press your zoom button just to get a closer look then put your target over the centre of it and press B This will highlight on the map the position of a possible sentry camp. If any hostile vehicles are detected press space to change to hellfire missiles and press tab to lock onto it. You can only fire if the target is directly in front of you.
5. When satisfied move all your men into an apc which is under a camo net by the entrance. I prefer to be the driver and let 4. be the gunner, he is usually more accurate especially when moving. You can try to be the gunner if you like but its very hard to target enemy when moving or even see where the enemy are, AI do a great job at killing enemy for you. Now move up to krastnostav. You only need to be the one to get out. Now run all the way to the top of the town and speak to the doctor, he will give you a tip about an enemy base. You will more than likely bump into the girl you need to arrest (providing its before 11am) if not wait outside the church. Now run back down to the apc and you may also bump into a female friend of the doctor, she turns up in a red car at exactly 11am and will give you a tip on the smugglers. Board the apc and your prisoner will join you.
6. Move to the LZ position on your map when you get to about 500 metres SAVE! As soon as cooper radios in that you are at the LZ make sure all your men stay inside the APC. There is an 80% chance you will get ambushed by armed UAZ's get 4 to shoot them. This incident does not always happen but this scene has many different outcomes. The chopper will turn up and its down to luck if it lands safely. if so get out and the woman will board, if it gets shot down now then too bad you have completed your objective you will get 1 of the 2 evidence tasks completed if she at least boards the chopper. If it gets shot down before extracting you will just have to shoot her otherwise its a task that wont complete (When the game ends you get a green tick for arresting her so its a competed objective anyway.)
7. Now most of the time Cooper will detect the main enemy base its map co ordinates are usually 08, 05 Which is just south west of the orange text saying "area of operation" if you do not get this then the other location of the enemy base is due north near the Pobrdo Dam map co'ords 10, 02 When you have the orange locator for the base on the map now is the best time to make use of your artillery before the bug kicks in and deletes it from your support menu. Zoom right in close on the map and press 0,8,1, artillery barrage then select option 7 HE Fire for effect and click the camp on the map right on the centre of where the base is. (sometimes there is a bug that will knock out the transport option too when selecting your artillery target. if this happens reload and try again.) If its by the LZ you can wait around and watch with your binoculars the base getting bombed. Do not bother attacking the base yet we will let boomerang and artillery pretty much handle the bulk for the moment, I just like to use the artillery option while i still have it this early on.
From this point on you may detect sentry bases throughout your travels its always best to take them out as soon as they are detected rather than come back to them later simply because the enemy may flee the bases and you wont get a confirmation that the enemy base has been cleared. Just stay in your apc and let your gunner do the work, select targets for him and run over any enemy that you see. Its easy to drive through the woods in your apc and possible to dodge trees, but knocking them down is fun too. Always try to get AT soldiers first cos they can destroy your apc.
8. Now we are going after the gunrunners now drive right into Gvozdno its random on where you will bump into them there is no set place. But they will always be down a long road by wherever the enemy main base is usually on a western road to the bases position. i usually bump into them at ref: 08, 05 stay in the apc and let your gunner take them out. When dead run over to them and search the body. You will be given a new orange task on the map to check the safe house. Drive there and again let your gunner take out all the enemy gun runners. Run them over to get this done quicker when all are dead, climb out and go up to the front door and search the house. You have now collected both evidence tasks (depending on if you had to assassinate the female prisoner) You will be asked to return to base with the documents, but on the way we may as well complete another task we actually have to drive past.
9. Find the weapons cache. Drive into Gorka get out by yourself and run straight for the church and check behind it. Its usually always best to let the priest keep his weapons not sure what happens if you report it but from future levels you get more help from the locals if you let him keep them. He will tell you about some workers over at Novy Sobor, you can go there and meet them, but to be honest its pretty much a waste of time because they will only tell you where the enemy base is which we already found.
10. Being as you have been so kind to let him keep the weapons you may as well rearm and even take an RPG with rockets you may need it later.
11. Go back to base and give the officer the documents. You can check the UAV but its more than likely been shot down by now. Get back in the APC and now we wll go to arrest the other person.
12. Drive towards Khelm, when you get close enough a bomb will go off. Sometimes coop will say there was a man but he died in the explosion but most of the time Coop will say he ran off. If you see anyone running drive after them. Let your gunner take them out its not actually needed to do this but who cares we are american soldiers right???.
13. Rescue downed Pilots. Now this is a task that VERY rarely pops up in the mission, i have no idea what triggers it but i have played this level about 10 times and only had this come up twice. You will get a radio call about downed pilots at the airstip by olsha, drive there and you will also detect an emeny camp at the end of the road in the red oval shaded bit on the map. Take out the base and rescue the pilots.
14. From this point on its sentry camps if you have bumped into any on the way then great. Basically just drive through the woods in your apc and run over any enemy or let your gunner take them out for you until you get the all clear then move on to the next one. I have completed this mission by only taking out 5 camps There is talk that there are 6 in total but i have only ever found 5 and ended the mission, it could be random every time you load it but if not let me tell you where the ones i found where.
1. right dead in the centre of the middle red oval shade (10, 03)
2. at the top of the centre red oval shade (in a castle ruins 10,03)
3. In the Top right red shaded oval in Olsha right at the end of the road (13, 02)
4. Ostrey exactly over the text on the map (10,02)
5. In the woods just north east of Gorka. If you zoom in the map you should see a very small clearing with a building right in the centre of the woods (09,06)
15. When you have confirmation that you have cleared all enemy camps Head towards the main enemy base. SAVE when you get 300 metres from it. Hopefully the artillery barrage and boomerang pretty much cleared out the camp, but you still need to be very careful as there is probably still live soldiers and a few tanks roaming. Drive in and let your gunner take out any stray survivors run over the rest and if there is any live tanks you can try to let your gunner take them out with the grenade launcher but Its always better to do it properly (remember the RPG I told you to take from the weapons cache?) Use the RPG to remove any remaining tanks if any. If the insurgent commander is dead you will be told the base is cleared. You can check all the bodies yourself if you wish but if you want to find his exact body then tell one of your men to disembark select him and press 6 you should have an option saying "search body" You man will run directly to the correct body and find the documents. If not he is still wandering about, find him and kill him then take the papers yourself.
16. You could drive all the way back to base but if you still have the option for transport then find yourself a clearing and call in the helicopter to pick you up and drop you back off at manhatten.
17. When you arrive talk to the officer and its A full completed mission.
As i said due to bugs and such the game may not always complete properly you just need to keep playing untl you do.
Here is where I am in Manhatten and I am stuck. I have 3 objective left:
1. #8 above Gunrunners (Weapons Smugglers) - I cannot find this white covered pickup I have driven through and around Gvozdno even heading south along the road towards the Base Camp.
2. #15 above Find Evidence - The main base/camp has been destroyed. Everytime I try to assign a squad member to search bodies there is no "search body" it is just "HIDE BODY". That's it. How do I search bodies myself?
3. Insurgent Leader - I looked all over Kransnostav with no luck.
I played the first part of this mission twice and completed the tasks in the order of the mission list. Each time I went to Gvozdno the gunrunners and their white ute were around a corner as I entered the town. I just killed them. Not sure what triggers them to be there.
HIDE BODY comes up if the person is not of interest.
With the sequence I played the game the Insurgent Leader was one of the infantry I killed in the woods near the main enemy HQ. When you walk up to the body a flag pops up to search him and it is revealed who he is and you report that back.
As i said at the beginning there are a lot of bugs with this mission so it may take you multiple tries to complete it even if you do follow my route. I have successfully completed this mission 3 times by doing it in the order i described but this has also taken about 20 attempts in total trying all kinds of different routes. I also do the guide in this particular order to try and get around some of the bugs which cause it to be un endable for instance being able to use the artillery etc... I have also read from some people that the gunrunners occasionally vanish from the map completely after a certain amount of time so getting the previous objectives done quickly is important.
Below is the map you have posted I have edited it for you. The yellow line shows the full route in which you will run into the gunrunners if the nemy base is located where it is on the map.
The red line shows the gunrunners route if the enemy base is located by the dam. So it all depnds on where the base is will depend on where you find them. Now because i cant see the dam location on this map I cannot be definate for sure the red route is the road that follows along side the base if its next to the dam, but you will obviously know which road it is when you get that scenario but i think the red marked road is probably accurate.
by following my guide you get to complete all the objectives, and alough people seem to be confused about the 6 sentry camps i have now completed this level 5 times and done it with the main base in different locations and to be honest i think its only 5 sentry camps and 1 main enemy base which counts up the 6 you need to destroy.
I restarted the entire mission and I am in the process of completing it step by step as you posted above.
Something strange happened when I dropped off the female informant at the LZ. Right after I destroyed the 2 armed UAZ's I got the message that the Weapon Smugglers (gunrunners) were taken out and I completed this task as well.
Side note: Those 2 UAZ's come from a camp just east of the LZ right along the forest line.
I'm lying down behind a tree about 200m from the Chedaki base (it's at the dam). I'm waiting for the backup. I waited for the backup before, he even radio'd in, but he never actually showed up. I don't have artillery support either.