Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Auto-restart standaloneserver when hang-up

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (uteboy @ April 04 2002,17:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hey BigQEd - exactly why is it more effecient to run them in the background?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    1) Anything you can run/operate that doesn&#39;t utilize a UI is more efficient.
    2) You can specify in W2K and XP to prefer Background Applications... thus making the 1st even more important.
    Visit Our Servers Today&#33;
    Website/Forums = www.fraghaus.com
    OFP Server = ofpserver.fraghaus.com
    ArmA Server = armaserver.fraghaus.com

Private First Class
    Furrycat shows how to set up the Battlecom dedicated server to run as a service here: http://swat3.furrycat.net/battlecom.html

If you look at the instructions and the reg entries it seems pretty easy to adapt it to the OFP dedicated server. Just put OFP instead of Battlecom in all the text strings and change the paths and filenames to the approriate ones for OFP.

The only things I&#39;m not sure about are the ErrorControl and FailureActions registry entries. I asked Furrycat about this but no reply yet. Any NT/2000 registry gurus care to comment?

ErrorControl and FailureActions have to do with allowing/making the service automatically restart when service crashes/exits.

I have setup a tutorial for OFP Server based on the afore-mentioned tutorial. I made a REG file for OFP to make easier for the OFP community. I also place the needed files on our FTP server.

This is a bit more difficult than FireDaemon... BUT if you wish to run a server properly then this seems the best way to do so.

Visit http://www.fraghaus.com/runasservice.htm

Private First Class
    Thx I will give that a whirl.

Private First Class
    Also Sir, I wonder if you have any input on this question:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am using the dedicated server (which is working great on P3@933/512MB/384k SDSL )

But I can&#39;t get any details to show up on ASE.
    The server shows up, but only as "Dedicated Server on 192.168.1.45:2234".
    I&#39;d like it to show up with the name of my organization.

Also it shows only requiredversion and version keys. But some other people have it showing a whole list of stuff like gamemode, gamename, gametype, gamever, groupid, etc etc., as well as a list of players on the server.

Anybody know how to get this info to show up on ASE? [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Thx

They need to setup a server.cfg like are explained in the DS-Admin.rtf file that comes with the stand-along server.

There is option to give the server a name.

Private First Class
    I figured it out and got it to do what I wanted. ***

I had a .cfg from the start, but the command to set the hostname is not documented in the .rtf file. ***I had to learn the hostname command from a third party website.

Also the other part of the problem was that I didn&#39;t have port 2235 open. ***Again I found this from a third party, as it is not documented by BIS.

I hope BIS will rectify these omissions in the documentation.

Thx again. My server is running very nicely now.

related question - how to get rd of dialogue box.

I am hosting two servers on the same PC and to restart after a crash I use the a bat file,
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">
    :start
    start /W ofp_server.exe
    goto start
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

The problem is that sometimes one of the servers hangs rather than crashes. This means that the server will not restart until I can get to it (many miles away).

I have tried using a little prog called shutdown that works but only if one of the server has not hung - otherwise the whole thing hangs with a dialogue box. Suggestions welcome

BTW i have very few ports open
    Bring em on

Make sure that Dr. Watson for Win2K, etc. is disabled. Here&#39;s a link to the Miscrosoft article on how to do that:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US;Q188296&

Dr. Watson will make the server hang while it does whatever in the funk it&#39;s supposed to be doing. About the only thing that I&#39;ve ever known Doc Wat to be good for is hanging processes and programs.

You dont totally need to disable drwatson, just take the visual notification off.

To do that do start/run and type "drwtsn32", and unselect "visual notification". also disabling all crash dumps and such might be a good idea (OFP still makes its own flashpoint.rpt and context.bin in case of a crash)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast