Sign in to follow this  
Gugus

Auto-restart standaloneserver when hang-up

Hi!

I have a standalone server (1.49 beta).

How to configure it for auto-restart when it crash.

Exemple: some player upload MPmissions that required special add-on, and when they try to play with on my server : it crash.

I'm looking for an extra tools or standalone server config for do a auto-restart.

How could I do that ?

Thanks

do a server.bat like this:

:start

start /W ofp_server.exe

goto start

and run it. It will run the server on an infinite loop, every time it crashes it goes to back to start and re runs it. Also, dont run the server in Win9x, instead use WinNT based OS (w2k,xp) and disable the "program has generated errors blaa blaa" dialog from dr watson to make that work correctly.

It's works ! Without extra utility...

Thansk a lot !

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Espectro @ Mar. 16 2002,18:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Wouldnt that start multiple server exes?

or is that what the /W prevents?<span id='postcolor'>

/W = WAIT: Start application and wait for it to terminate

Get FireDaemon... which will allow you to set as a Service. Then you can even specify priority of OFP on the system.

Running Basic Batch files went out with DOS!  tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BigQEd @ Mar. 16 2002,20:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Get FireDaemon... which will allow you to set as a Service. Then you can even specify priority of OFP on the system.

Running Basic Batch files went out with DOS!  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Bad thing in running the server as service is that you cannot see the console window anymore... And you can set priorities with start too (start /high ofpserver.exe etc.)

Nothing wrong in batch files tounge.gif

Sure... however I know for a fact running them in the FOREGround is not as effecient as running them in the BACKGround.

Now... if you would stop and think about what server runs the fastest with the most players maybe you would understand that maybe running OFP as a Service isn't such a bad idea. smile.gif

Also who needs CONSOLE when running as a Dedicated Server? Do you sit and monitor a Dedicated server via PCA/VNC/RA? Or maybe you have the Dedicated Server running on your home system which in that case what would it matter...

BigQed,

Can you explain for us what happens when the dedicated server program abends or is shutdown from inside the application if it is run as a service with FireDaemon? When I shut down the server with #shutdown, my service still shows started. No OFP server restarts for me automagically either.

Isnt the actual program that is defined to be run the FireDaemon shell, and isnt it (the shell) only it that can benefit from the recovery options available in 2000/XP?

What is missing?

No. Try this set your service to automatically reset in the properties of that service. Then shut it down and it will restart on it's own. If it doesn't you didn't do something right.

BTW, all settings for services can be found in the following Registry key (you can go in and manually set these settings):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BigQEd @ Mar. 17 2002,18:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sure... however I know for a fact running them in the FOREGround is not as effecient as running them in the BACKGround.

Now... if you would stop and think about what server runs the fastest with the most players maybe you would understand that maybe running OFP as a Service isn't such a bad idea. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Oh man, does the phrase "blowing your own horn" mean anything to you?

I think your concerns at the moment would be why your server has such a bad reputation in the OFP community, not how fast / how many players it can hold.

nuff said.

Also, running ofp as a higher than normal priority can create issues. Instead of editing the registry like a cowboy, I suggest doing what Kegetys posted.

LOL @ Lt_Damage

I think maybe someone is a bit jealous  wow.gif

It's cool man. I know where we stand. I know we have 1000's that play on our OFP servers daily. So our rep must not be to shabby smile.gif

As far as Editing the Reg... it's not to hard and it is nothing extreme or cowboyish. Runing programs as Services is the way W2K and XP Pro should be operated.

I mean when was the last time you saw Mail, Web and FTP Servers run on the desktop? Hmmm... they are Servers and run as Services.

Yes.. I am very jealous................ confused.gif

I thought i'd show a few of the players some Fraghaus maps for some variety.. and I was almost laughed off the server... I had to promise I'd remove them and never play them again. sad.gif

But this is quite beneath me, lets quit now.

In regards to the server issue, I simply advise the user to follow Kegetys's method as

1) It does not require any third party software running.

2) It does not require editing the registry

2) It works and is simple.

Increasing the priority of a process can create issues, do this with caution.

Regards,

Lt_Damage... what missions?? And are they up to date??

FragHaus has some awesome newer missions... (some are meant to be funny)

Where else can you fly Squadrons of Cessnas with 30mm Machine Guns (CTF Plane Frenzy) or be a Redneck from Deliverance (CTF Deliverance) civilians with shotguns on Tractors? heh smile.gif

We also have Serious COOP and CTF Missions. Such as Rescue Col Randolph, Ultimate Extraction, CTF Hunt, CTF AllOutWar and many more...

Truly hard to believe people wouldn't like them since we are packed almost 24/7 and people rave about our missions. (Current Favorites are Plane Frenzy and CTF Hunt 2) They will actually play Plane Frenzy like 5 times in a row... and still beg for more.

They sound very fun, the ones we tried were AllOutWar (crashes with 1.49, working on a fix) and Jeeps (crashes with 1.49)

And BigWar with 64players i think.. and also "High Noon" which we never played again...

Congratulations on creating fresh mp gaming maps for the ofp community, regards,

ALLOUTWAR has no problem with 1.49. We switched to 1.49 on the server as soon as it was released. We play ALLOUTWAR daily... and have yet to have a crash.

Well im sure "my way" of doing it doesnt suit everyone. Running as service is fine too, though you cannot see the console (I'd rather watch the console than a blank windows desktop). The advantage of running as a service is that you dont have to logon to the system.

Btw. you can change the process priority from the batch file too by adding /LOW, /NORMAL, /HIGH or /REALTIME parameter to the start command. I wouldnt suggest using realtime though as it doesnt leave any cpu cycles to any other process if the server eats 100% cpu.

You are correct Keg...

I am sure those that log on to their servers might like the Batch file idea. smile.gif I simply prefer to run as a Service because all our Servers are in our NOC and not systems we utilize as Desktop systems.

Yes using RealTime is a very bad... do NOT do not use RealTime. If you utilize the system for anything other than OFP I wouldn't even use HIGH... unless you are running a server with less than 10 slots. If you do you will find your system unusable.

hey BigQEd - exactly why is it more effecient to run them in the background?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (uteboy @ April 04 2002,17:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hey BigQEd - exactly why is it more effecient to run them in the background?<span id='postcolor'>

1) Anything you can run/operate that doesn't utilize a UI is more efficient.

2) You can specify in W2K and XP to prefer Background Applications... thus making the 1st even more important.

Furrycat shows how to set up the Battlecom dedicated server to run as a service here: http://swat3.furrycat.net/battlecom.html

If you look at the instructions and the reg entries it seems pretty easy to adapt it to the OFP dedicated server. Just put OFP instead of Battlecom in all the text strings and change the paths and filenames to the approriate ones for OFP.

The only things I'm not sure about are the ErrorControl and FailureActions registry entries. I asked Furrycat about this but no reply yet. Any NT/2000 registry gurus care to comment?

ErrorControl and FailureActions have to do with allowing/making the service automatically restart when service crashes/exits.

I have setup a tutorial for OFP Server based on the afore-mentioned tutorial. I made a REG file for OFP to make easier for the OFP community. I also place the needed files on our FTP server.

This is a bit more difficult than FireDaemon... BUT if you wish to run a server properly then this seems the best way to do so.

Visit http://www.fraghaus.com/runasservice.htm

Also Sir, I wonder if you have any input on this question:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am using the dedicated server (which is working great on P3@933/512MB/384k SDSL )

But I can't get any details to show up on ASE.

The server shows up, but only as "Dedicated Server on 192.168.1.45:2234".

I'd like it to show up with the name of my organization.

Also it shows only requiredversion and version keys. But some other people have it showing a whole list of stuff like gamemode, gamename, gametype, gamever, groupid, etc etc., as well as a list of players on the server.

Anybody know how to get this info to show up on ASE? <span id='postcolor'>

Thx