Sign in to follow this  
marocojenkins

Improve performance.

I am looking for more information on what to change in the config file to improve performance on my Arma 2 server. I would like to find out if you can allocate more memory to the server i have 4gb and it seems to use no more than 1gb. Is there anything anyone can suggest to improve performance my current settings are as follows.

"C:\Games\arma 2\ArmA2Server.exe" -name=H2K House of Love -config=server.cfg -cfg=arma2.cfg -profiles=default.arma2profile

server.cfg =

passwordAdmin = "****";

hostname="H2K House of Love";

voteThreshold=0.25;

voteMissionPlayers=1;

maxPlayers=32;

reportingIP="arma2pc.master.gamespy.com";

logfile="myserver.log";

kickduplicate=0;

equalModRequired=0;

disableVoN=1;

timeStampFormat=full;

NetStats=1;

DeathMessages=1;

persistent=1;

verifySignatures=1;

regularcheck="{}";

arma2.cfg =

language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=93750;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

I am also running server 2008

you need some bandwidth profiles into your arma2.cfg file

[KH]Jman produced a good guide, find it here clicky

then its a matter of tweaking the performance to suit the style of game you play, PvP COOP etc etc

i would imagine in the near future BIS will pull their finger outta their ass and release a properly updated server executable with working netlog switches and bring back in the -maxmem switch. However the Maxmem switch was initially bought in to set an upper limit of RAM usage and not a bottom limit.

despite the rumour mill working over time pre-release about servers needing dual core minimum and higher specs it appears that multi core is not nescessarily needed and the server exe is similar in its use of CPU/Ram to both arma1 and ofp.

you need to lock the exe to one core (or two if you insist) removing the app from the control of the OS, if left in control of the OS it will shuffle the process round to various cores causing CPU lag on each move.

those in te know have been using firedaemon to run the app as a service and have the ability to lock the affinity of the process/service and have the other extra functionality that comes with FD.

marcojenkins, you really need to get the arma2.cfg setup correctly, it makes a huge difference in A2.

-- The NetStats=1; and DeathMessages=1; are switches that are used in the .ArmA2Profile, so they aren't taking effect in the server.cfg, and they default to "1" or on, anyway.

-- the -name switch isn't needed in the command line.

-- As to memory, you don't actually need to assign it RAM that it wouldn't use, your OS will handle that fine on its own.

-- I'm sorry, but I must disagree with Escobar on the locking the EXE down, not in A2 anyway, while it seems like the process is utilizing one core at a time, once it reaches about 80 or 85% it seems to start the next core, we see no problems on our servers running with affinity set to 4 cores, priority at 24.

We can (and do) run a PvP map with 50 or 60 at FPS=50, no desync. We can run a stable server at 80+ with active admin monitoring. @ 80 players, CPU for the server EXE is about 31%, FPS is 12-15, bandwidth is average at 12-15 Mb/s and JiP spikes are down to about 30 to as high as 40 Mb/s.

I hope this helps. Regards.

Edited by Mojo

your fine to disagree, but most people won't get anything like 80 players on their servers, thus they will never need more than one core and therefore your point is moot and actually locking it one core WILL improve performance.

the properties of the CF server are similar to the IC arma server in the way you run your missions and everything else and while i know your optimisations work on your server with the kinda loads you get that doesn't mean they will work on every server.

Hi.

@Mojo

Thanks for your config files. I just copy and past and chanced some of the data.

For some reason my server wont get public :mad:

I'm running ArmA2 Steam version on my Game computer. I just copy the hole arma 2 folder from my steam folder to my second computer(Game server) and i use the ArmA2Server.exe(beta. file version 1.2.0.58055).

I can only find my server in Network Games on LAN (port 2302) in the Multiplayer. My friends have to use remote connection with my IP + port to find my server.

Anyone know the reason why this happens? Is this because i use the Steam version + Dedicated Server(ArmA2Server_1_02BETA)?

What should i do? Install Steam on my Game server and use the steam ArmA2.exe file with -server parameter.

This is my startup parameters for my server:

D:\ArmA2\ArmA2Server.exe -name=ArmA2Server -config=ArmA2Server\ArmA2.cfg -cfg=ArmA2Server\ArmA2Server.cfg -profiles=ArmA2Server

Thanks in advanced :)

sounds like a NAT issue, makes sure you have opened the ports in your router to allow your friends to see it.

@Escobar, while you are absolutely correct for IC and arma1, arma2 works differently, please verify your findings, if you would like, please speak with me via PM or email, or TS. I'll happily share my findings. The more stable A2 servers the better for the community.

Folks,

Thank you for the above posts, they have helped greatly with my server setup. I was wondering what you thought of the following config for my server. It is running on an old-ish laptop (Pmobile 1.7, 2GB) but is limited to only 6 players for coop missions over internet so I thought it might be OK for that. Tested internet speeds are about 4.5 Mbps down and 750kbps up (bits not Bytes).

the server is live, called "VAAF.net Rup Dedicated Beta" if you need to hit that.

Config as follows:

//Data TX/RX configuration
MaxMsgSend=128;
MinErrorToSend=0.01;
MaxSizeGuaranteed=512;
MaxSizeNonguaranteed=256;

// Bandwidth Settings
MinBandwidth=256000;
MaxBandwidth=750000;

// no custom faces, sounds
MaxCustomFileSize=0;		

language="English";
adapter=-1;
3D_Performance=15389.000000;
Resolution_W=800;
Resolution_H=600;
Resolution_Bpp=32;

Many thanks

Edited by vaaf_rup

Thanks everyone for your comments i am going to test out the config files today. After i posted the initial post i began looking into overclocking and now have my server running at 4.0GHZ with 8GB of 1033mhz memory. I am still getting desync with my current config files when people attempt to join the server so i am going to begin trying the config settings listed above to see if it makes improvements. I will post my results.

My bandwidth for the server is 15Mbps down / 2Mbps up.

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------

Is there any changes i should make to server 2008 to improve the performance of the server other than the CPU locking suggestions?

@Mojo : is the VoN disabling making a huge difference in performance?

Yes, VON is using cycles and bandwidth, we see a performance drop of about 2-5 FPS when loaded with players.