datter

Mouse Lag 2 - Return of the Mouse Lag

Do you experience mouse lag?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Do you experience mouse lag?

• Yes, it's particularly bad
    • Yes,a little bit but I cope
    • No, not at all

That first mouse lag poll left out an option for people who do not experience mouse lag at all. This poll includes such an option. Vote.

I think you should change -- yes a little bit but i cope -- to just a little bit

I get a little bit of mouse lag but it still annoying

Slow PC here and I'm getting reasonable mouse speed.

I was playing with the settings and watching the FPS and found that I could turn up the graphics a fair bit and the FPS hardly changed, however when I tried to play the game I could really feel the mouse lag for the first time.

It seems as if the graphics are getting priority over the mouse probably reducing how often it's being updated.

I get tons of mouse lag, and I can't cope with it. Holding my buy until they fix it. IF they fix it. Damn BIS!

According to BI's latest Community Update, they're already working on it for v1.04 patch:

http://www.bistudio.com/community-blog/arma-ii-community-update-3_en.html

A couple of prioritised areas we're hoping to address for 1.04 are "mouse lag" (this is something we've not been able to reproduce locally but we believe there are a couple of things we can do to help the situation for those users who do seem to suffer from it), the second area we're prioritising is improving performance, especially in urban areas, of course there will be other things addressed in 1.04 but it's too early to go into details about those just yet.

When you guys say "mouse lag", do you mean the mouse seems to lag behind your actual input, or that even though your getting decent fps (30+) when panning left and right it stutters like the FPS is lower? I get the second one some times with my mouse, but it always seems there with TrackIR (eg stuttery, non smooth movement unless I'm in the middle of nowhere in the editor).

Edited by -=seany=-

When you guys say "mouse lag", do you mean the mouse seems to lag behind your actual input, or that even though your getting decent fps (30+) when panning left and right it stutters like the FPS is lower? I get the second one some times with my mouse, but it always seems there with TrackIR (eg stuttery, non smooth movement unless I'm in the middle of nowhere in the editor).

What you have is not mouse lag its pure lag. The game is not smooth cause of other reasons, for example crappy pc. I think alot of people dont get this and they all call it mouse lag.

What you have is not mouse lag its pure lag. The game is not smooth cause of other reasons, for example crappy pc. I think alot of people dont get this and they all call it mouse lag.
I think the same thing whenever I hear the term "mouse lag" thrown around.

I've never experienced "mouse lag" in any game. I have experienced total-ass frame rates though.

If you're getting 55fps in Arma II and your mouse is unresponsive, that sounds like a problem. But if you're getting 12fps, that's not "mouse lag" - that's just crappy performance that will make it feel like your mouse is lagging.

Can someone experiencing the problem do a Fraps benchmark run and post their frame rates?

Actually, even the term "lag" is misleading because that's really a "networking" term.

Edited by DesertJedi

I really notice a mouse lag while i am in editor building missions.

While moving around the map, placing units i notice a different speed (slow) in editor.

For those who have this significant speed change and build missions is bad and annoying.

My mouse is fine in the actual game but sometimes in menus it lags and jitters.

for me its like the ingame pointer simply draged through the screen by the mouse movement instead of being unlike the linear movement back in the old OFP days

I wonder if this might be 3rd party mouse software? Though I currently use and have used many Logitech mice, I don't load their software anymore because it has in the past caused problems. Just a thought.

I'd call it mouse delay more than lag, doesn't seem to be any glitchiness, just around a quarter second delay with movements. Also noting it disappears when aiming toward the sky (or when playing at 640x480 :P), my FPS rarely drops below 40 though.

Either way, it isn't a problem for me.

New beta out:

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

[58830] Mouse smoothing can be disabled in user profile file using line mouseSmoothing=0;

[58815] Fixed: Enemy kills made by player using stolen enemy vehicle are no longer considered as friendly kills.

The removal of mouse smoothing greatly solved my mouse lag problems. Let's see how it works for the rest of the people...

There's been mixed responses. For those that had the issues it seems to have fixed them, for some who didn't have issues it seems to have created new ones, so the new beta patch put in a way to enable or disable it.

I just tried it with acceleration disabled, and it's hard to get used to but I think it'll be a little better once I get used to it. It never bugged me before, so I'll play around with it some more and see which I like better. but at least it's optional so it pleases both crowds

I have a bit of mouse lag on the menu, but that's it. Ingame &editor are fine.

As far as the menu, it seems like it's more of a translation problem between the XY of the mouse and where the cursor is generated. Not really lag, but more like it's having to be forced into position.

VIDEO ON MY SYSTEM: http://www.xfire.com/video/11824d/

System Specs:

EVGA Mobo w/ nVidia 750i chipset (using onboard sound & LAN)

Intel Q9550 Quad Core CPU

4GB DDR2-1066 G. GKillz memory

Antec Truepower 550W PSU

Cooler Master Centurion 590 case w/ 4 Antec Tri Cool fans

MSI 8800GTS 640MB OC Edition GPU

Matrox Triplehead2go Digital Edition

Logitech MX518 Mouse with latest Setpoint drivers

TrackIR 4 Pro w/ ProClip

Saitek Eclipse Keyboard

Saitek X52 Flight System Joystick

I have a bit of mouse lag on the menu, but that's it. Ingame &editor are fine.

As far as the menu, it seems like it's more of a translation problem between the XY of the mouse and where the cursor is generated. Not really lag, but more like it's having to be forced into position.

VIDEO ON MY SYSTEM: http://www.xfire.com/video/11824d/

System Specs:

EVGA Mobo w/ nVidia 750i chipset (using onboard sound & LAN)

Intel Q9550 Quad Core CPU

4GB DDR2-1066 G. GKillz memory

Antec Truepower 550W PSU

Cooler Master Centurion 590 case w/ 4 Antec Tri Cool fans

MSI 8800GTS 640MB OC Edition GPU

Matrox Triplehead2go Digital Edition

Logitech MX518 Mouse with latest Setpoint drivers

TrackIR 4 Pro w/ ProClip

Saitek Eclipse Keyboard

Saitek X52 Flight System Joystick

People who have mouse lag don't have it in menu, and people who don't have mouse lag have it in menu?

Hey Leopardi, did the removal of mouse smoothing help you with the mouse lag? It did with mine.

if you have a laser mouse download the software that comes with the mouse and let the software not your OS manages your mouse. Play with acceleration and sensitivity. I have the G9 Laser Mouse - Logitech.com, i had issues with arma1, contacted Logitech support and they guided me through tweaking my mouse through their software. Never had an issue since.

if you have a laser mouse download the software that comes with the mouse and let the software not your OS manages your mouse. ...

Yes, in particular, uncheck the SetPoint option 'Use OS native drivers for pointer speed and acceleration'. That fixes horrible mouse performance in most games.

Hello Community.

well i didn't hope to have ro post here, because in arma 2 patch 1.03 ( not the beta one )

mouse control was just fine.

Now in the beta build, with "mouse smoothing disabled" it feel like i cant aim correctly anymore.

it was explained in another thread by another user as well.

The mouse seems to skip pixels.

i don`t know how else to explain it.

i will defiantly play with "mouse smoothing enabled" if there is an option for it.

anyone else with similar experiences?