Sign in to follow this  
FraG_AU

In game user interface

I realise that the ingame interface is not a major issue, however its so dated and its probably one of the easiest things to change in the game.. Really sloppy that it has not evolved.

1) Team member icons! Wow, they look like gfx from my Commodore 64. Instead of the really zombie like faces how about just use icons? perhaps icons to let us know what their role is.. Rather then a huge face and a small icon, just have a "nice" looking icon. They can be smaller and less intrusive. Also would be nice to select where on your interface they go? ie along top, along bottom, right, left etc..

2) While we are displaying icons, perhaps some neat small icons that tell you a couple things (depending on diffuculty), such as current formation (line, staggered clmn, etc etc), current movement type (say safe, aware, danger)

3) The in game selection menu. I do like the numbered system and ovbiously as you get better you pretty much remember all these, but why not use a pie select system? Ie hold a button and drag to which thing you would like to do.. I know it sounds consoleish but the system is more intuitive and hence it works!

Say along these lines?

http://tremulous.net/forum/index.php?topic=10269.0

Clean, much faster to access and use when doing so manually? Obviously can be an option as I understand not all people like the same things.

4) The ingame text comments.. I am sure we can make this look smarter.. been like this for 10 years!

generally the UI feels dated, and does need a face lift. Once again I completely understand its a simulator, but surley these things are easy to change and I think would be worth while.

Anyway its a suggestion :)

EDIT: Sorry mod's didnt see the big fat sticky on interface!

Edited by FraG_AU