Sign in to follow this  
Bravo46

ARMA2 joystick tweaking?

Yesterday I configured my HOTAS and Pedals for ARMA2 flight, but was disapointed to find that even when using flight gear the aircraft still behaves like im pushing buttons and flying by keyboard. Thrust is rubbish as well.

Is there a way to tweak axis joystick input?

When I purchased this game I was under the impression that it was a combat simulation, and not arcade crap. Please tell me its not true :(

Hey and whats with the crosshairs? why have them?

errr, what?

I don't have all the hotas gear but it seemed ok to me on the force 3d pro. I certainly wouldn't say it feels like you're flying with the keyboard. I installed the f16 addon and was in fact laughing out loud at how good the whole experience was, right up to the point where I misjudged the sink factor while flying down a valley and crashed into a tree.

Can you turn down the sensitivity in control panel?

Can you turn down the sensitivity in control panel?

Ok thanks Techno, i'll try that option and see how it goes.

I took another look at this game and did some more experimenting with the joystick setup. I made some headway so I thought I'd share.

It looks like the default joystick setup flies in a similar way to keyboard flying with an overly large deadzone in cyclic and collective input as stated in my first post. Fly by mouse though has no deadzone, so this would account for some people that are not using flight gear commenting that it flies quite well.

So in the end the solution for people using flightsticks was quite simple. In my case I use Saitek HOTAS and pedals, so I used the SST software to assign the "mouse axis" to "X" and "Y" of the flightstick and save it into an ARMA2 profile. All done flies quite nice using a joystick.

1. Open SST editor

2. If your using X52 you will need to "unprogramme" the ministick X and Y axis to release the mouse.

3. Assign the mouse axis X and Y to your flihtstick X and Y

4. Save your profile

5. Go into ARMA2 controller options and remove default "joystick" setting from "pitch" and "bank"

6. Assign "mouse left" and "mouse right" to "bank left" and "bank right"

7. Click OK

8. All done, now just load your profile before playing. Sensitivity can be tweaked via the SST software.

enjoy :)

Edited by Bravo46