Sign in to follow this  
thenewsman

AI Can see too well.

Hello there

A friend and I had set up a mission, quite simple really. A little stretch of road surrounded by buildings within a forrest, being patroled by a squad of guards. Our objective was to plan c4 on a ammo truck deep within. It was pitch black, and the guards didn't have night vision. We snuck along, only moving when the enemy weren't near us as they patroled. We hid in the grass, in the shadows with our guille suits (sp?), and for the most part they didn't see us. We both had silenced weapons, my friend had a silenced sniper rifle and I had a silenced G36C. He stayed on a hill to shoot the lights out, whilst i moved slowly with the c4 to the truck.

He said they were coming back, so i thought no problem, I'll hide in this shadow in this tall grass. Unfortunately, they saw me and opened fire instantly. (they didn't see me get into position, as I was around a corner.) They didn't come very close at all really, but somehow they saw me. I generally couldn't see myself in the grass, nor could my friend.

We tried again but more or less the same thing happened.

Is there a way to modify or are there any mods that make it so the AI don't see me so easily when I'm in grass? I wasn't moving an inch, not even my head. It's really frustrating and so far this is the only gripe I have with the game.

Anyone who knows how please inform?

I was quite far away, about 7 metres away. I wasn't moving or making a sound. It works in open fields, the AI actually don't see me at all and even attempt to move out of my way slightly, but when ever I'm in a town they see me even at night. I'm in tall grass hiding being a fence in a shadow in a guille suit, but they're patrolling, suddenly they run around and thens hoot me.

grass doesn't block AI view...only shrubs and trees do (very little at that). Once you give up your position either by shooting or moving the AI seem to pick up on it instantly. I think there's a rumor that BIS will try to implement some view-block for grass; but don't hold your breath. There might be some mods that will come out that will try to do it; but I'm not a coder so I don't even know if it's possible

Well, it's being known that the A.I cheats once in a while, my team mates even see enemy's behind buildings... And yes, the sniper with the ghillie suit gets detected much to fast...

i have tried this, sniped a target from serious distance away whilst hiding in a bush in ghillie suit... instant headshot from his friend who located and killed me in a fraction of a second.

What army is this simulating? I'd like to ensure we NEVER go to war with them in rl.

i have tried this, sniped a target from serious distance away whilst hiding in a bush in ghillie suit... instant headshot from his friend who located and killed me in a fraction of a second.

What army is this simulating? I'd like to ensure we NEVER go to war with them in rl.

what hardness you play on?

Normally when I'm sniping AI, they ignore my first shot alltogether (if its no hit) and start taking cover on the second shot. Then they also got a general direction in which the keep looking. Sometimes they suppres an area few metres away from me. The more shots I fire, the more accurate suppressing fire from AI gets.

Playing on second hardness level (cadet?)

Killing AI gives instand knowledge about your position to all enemies in the area. So dont even bother to hide.

Even with satchels.

Will be fixed soon.

I too find the AI have super-human vision, that goes for both team mates and enemy A.I

I've often found myself running through woods or at night and the A.I starts reporting enemies. Most of the time, I'm dead before I figure out where the hell they are. Other times they will spot enemies through trees and foliage. If I zoom in, I might catch a glimpse of some guys shin in between a gap in the trees, maybe 500 meters away.

That's one of my biggest problems with the game.

I'm all for realism and hardcore gameplay, but seriously, the AI can see too well and it puts us humans at a disadvantage.

once you set the difficulty down the AI can barely see at all :)

try the difficulty slider when placing AI, see if it makes a difference

(this probably already mentioned)

Yeh, I've noticed that the AI have X-Ray vision. Seen it on SP lots where they spot guys through hills 1500m away. Made a mission and the AI (all skilled as corporal 0.4) detected a squad which had absolutely zero line of sight (in a valley, in trees, prone)!:confused:

To be honest, I'm surprised there's complaints about your OWN AI seeing too well.

The CPU AI is ridiculous, plain and simple. If I fire at them and hide in the trees they still track and shoot me from outside the forest, even though I can't see THEM. Fire at them, run behind a house for cover, and they know when you peek your head out, even if its on the other side of the building - you can watch the turret track you in 3rd person. It's completely stupid.

They can see through smoke screens (and fire 100% accurately from WITHIN a smoke screen), see through bushes, walls, trees, etc. The AI raycasting is a joke.

doesn't the lower difficulty settings enable targeting halos over enemy? just a thought for those having trouble.

yes, we know. this has been talked about since OFP. You're just beating a dead horse; although it is slightly improved with Arma 2

No wonder everyone plays without grass in MP Coop games, AI has advantage over you.

It looks like an aged game without the grass but it puts you on the same level as the AI.

Too bad though, especialy for snipers. I always keep my distance though (go wide n flank) so luckely AI doesnt see me until they get close.

yes, soldiers reported me man who was behind building, they started to fire before he left corner of building (they fired at the wall)