How do I use ''setFace'' on specific AI characters? Um, sorry for the nooblet editing question.. but I've google'd the crap outta this and haven't found what I was lookin' for.

Edited by Vostov
Argh..

that was for *all* units to have Facepaint. I want to target a specific individual npc for this.

It's exactly the same, just for a single unit.

setFace

In your unit's init field put the following:

this setFace "face04_camo4";

The Face number is from Face01 to Face107 and the Camo number is from camo1 to camo6.

Edited by kylania
Face counts

I tried that earlier... it didn't seem to work.. I'll try it again. (btw, thanks!)

It's exactly the same, just for a single unit.

setFace

In your unit's init field put the following:

this setFace "face04_camo4";

The Face number is from Face01 to Face107 and the Camo number is from camo1 to camo6.

this command line: this setFace "face04_camo4";

Does not work. Does anyone know a command line for a single NPC that allows me to customize thier face?

I assure you it works, when used properly. Where exactly are you putting this "command line"? The code goes in the unit's Initialization field.

Here are two Riflemen. The one the left has no Init field. The one on the right has this setFace "face04_camo4"; as it's Init field. When used correctly, this does work.

setFace.jpg

Note that this will not work for the "Force Recon" named units such as Cooper, Miles, O'hara, and the others but will for the generic Force Recon faces.

Edited by kylania
Custom Units

I have the same problem - Only the player is effected by the setFace command, whilst all other units do not change face.

The command kylania gave is the right command. You just have to make sure the face you trying to add has the right name. What face name are you trying to add?

List of faces: http://www.armatechsquad.com/ArmA2Class/A2/Faces/#document

'this setFace "Face10_EP1"', but it seems any face I use doesn't work (except for the player). I just don't know why :confused:

I haven't tried it in OA but it worked fine for other AI units in singleplayer on Arma2. Note that the latest beta patch has some issues regarding "early init stuff" such as setIdentity.

Edit: Make that second latest beta patch. Apparently a new one out today :)

I haven't tried it in OA but it worked fine for other AI units in singleplayer on Arma2. Note that the latest beta patch has some issues regarding "early init stuff" such as setIdentity.

Edit: Make that second latest beta patch. Apparently a new one out today :)

cool, I'll assume that's it. All I wanted is an old man in the British army :D

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

the patch worked! I can now use setFace :yay:

oldman.png

cool, I'll assume that's it. All I wanted is an old man in the British army :D

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

the patch worked! I can now use setFace :yay:

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/4760/oldman.png (604 kB)

When I apply the exact same line as vinc3nt I don't get the same face. I only get the facial hair from the desired face with a random face. For example this Assistant gets this face below using

this setFace "face10_EP1";

arma2oa2013012716363070.jpg

when it should be like this guys (notice the same facial hair).

face01ep1.jpg

I have the same issue with other AI's and never seems to work right. Just random faces that won't change much but the facial hair does.

Iv tried editing with my arma2oa.exe and the arma2oa.exe that's in the expansion/beta folder. I have the latest patch ARMA2_OA_Build_101245 and running no mods. How can I fix this issue? I'm guessing these maybe some of these lines don't work with some units? So far i have issues with some of the Civilians like the Functionary (black suit).

Edited by esham

setFace isn't working for me in OA either.

I have the latest patch. Tried it in normal OA and Beta patch.

OA faces like that old man use custom head models and cannot be used properly on default Arma 2 units.

I know this is old, but I'm attempting to resurrect it for some help (this was the most helpful thread I've found on custom NPC faces).  I took a template and made a custom face, converted it 14 times to get a .paa file small enough (that was a bit of a nightmare and the best I could do was starting with a 256 X 256 file to get about a 45kb .paa).  Now, where do I put the .paa file?  I assumed I could put it in my mission folder then type the command (this setFace "facename") in the unit's initialization field.  That isn't working for me; however,  So I'm assuming I need to put the face somewhere else.  I'm going to put it in an addons folder next but thought I'd go ahead and ask the question.  Thanks in advance!

http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=31174

All i could google and seemed helpfull (I speedread all of them (except t the video, it is hard to read video :-), to make sure they are not waste of time)

Thanks.  The link I left in the quote is the only one that seems to be talking about what I'm after that I haven't found already.  Yet it seems incomplete.  I don't want to set a custom face for my profile but I want to set NPCs in single player missions to custom faces that I've created.  The link above seems to be talking about doing just that but is it saying I need to build an addon or mod with my custom faces in it before I can put them in a mission?  Then I have to do it by setting identities of the NPCs?  I'm guessing that's what it means but it's just not really clear.  Thanks again.

Thats arma tutorials for you. They all expect you to be expert coder.

Thats arma tutorials for you. They all expect you to be expert coder.

LOL.  I've been away for awhile.  I was happy to see that a lot of the commands followed the OFP rules so I had high hopes for being able to do some of this stuff quickly.  Most of the time I find the tutorials helpful but they are rarely complete.  Thanks again.