Sign in to follow this  
Aculaud

Night vision

what does everyone think of the night vision in OFP? Personally, i find it very dis orienting, and dont use it very often, even in pitch black. I also wish to ask, if anyone knows, is the night vision in OFP realisticly portrayed?

Yes it is pretty accurate.My dad drove tanks and he used them.There is also the thermal night vision which tank crews use, mainly the gunner(i.e. to see other tanks cause tanks emitt really high tempeturs , the m1A1 got up to 1500 degrees so that would easilly be seen,its cause the turbofan engine(which is closely realated to a jet turbo fan engine)produces high heat.)It is black and white and it uses heat (cause almost every thing gives off heat).In the game the night vision uses invisiable light and displays it kinda greenish.Same with real ones.Hope this helps! smile.gif

I used to have 2nd gen. russian night vision goggles and have looked thru 3rd gen usa goggles as well. Both goggles are much more clearer than what is depicted in the game. It was never that grainy, but wtih 1985 technology, I can understand it being less clear. Most night vision devices work supurb on nights with moonlight. All the devices intensify the ambient light. But if you are in a pitch black room, with no light what-so-ever, you will need an infra-red illumniator. when you turn the ir on as you look thru your night vision, it looks just as if you are shining a flashlight. BUt like a flashlight, it can only be projected so far, and past a certain distance, you will not be able to see.

To answer your question, I would think that even back in 1985, the night vision was better than what we have in OFP. Night vision is depicted well in Rogue Spear, if you have ever played that game....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SKULLS_Viper @ Mar. 14 2002,06:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yes it is pretty accurate.My dad drove tanks and he used them.There is also the thermal night vision which tank crews use, mainly the gunner(i.e. to see other tanks cause tanks emitt really high tempeturs , the m1A1 got up to 1500 degrees so that would easilly be seen,its cause the turbofan engine(which is closely realated to a jet turbo fan engine)produces high heat.)It is black and white and it uses heat (cause almost every thing gives off heat).In the game the night vision uses invisiable light and displays it kinda greenish.Same with real ones.Hope this helps! smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

As you know thermal imaging, and infrared are different than Night vision. Thermal uses heat, infrared uses colors in the light spectrum that we cannot see, and night vision uses ambient light souce..

yeah, rogue spear had much better nhight vision. So does Ghost Recon

Guest Scooby

How even good night vision optics work depends alot from how dark it is outside. Works fairly well when its not completly pitch black and there is some source of light for example moon but when its pitch black and you are in deep forest where no light can enter they dont work nearly as well as they do in OFP.

I've used military goggles with zoom from 90's? and prototype of year military scope manufactured at 2000.

I like the fact that they reduce your field of view, which they do in real life. Really adds to the realism. I like flying the A-10 with em in darkness. Except when you see normal car lights or street lights, shouldn't they blind you, since they supposed to magnify the available light around you?

The only thing missing is that you don't get blinded when look at lights, fires etc. I really miss that.

I would really like to see the nightvision you got in Team Apache. When you see a big explosion, your goggles dim down to black and gradually dim up back again. Very neat indeed smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shadow @ Mar. 14 2002,11:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The only thing missing is that you don't get blinded when look at lights, fires etc. I really miss that.

I would really like to see the nightvision you got in Team Apache. When you see a big explosion, your goggles dim down to black and gradually dim up back again. Very neat indeed smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Thats right - modern goggles compensate for sudden flashes and/or lightsources. This is supposed to be "old stuff".

I´ve used some of the "old stuff", things that are equal to the ´85 OFP design and I accidently looked right at a streetlamp. I did get severly blinded and popped a bloodvessel in one of my eyes (the whole eye got dark red, I could see but everything was kinda light redish...).

Howerver, I didnt sustain any permanent eyedamage (luckily), but I wont do it again... smile.gif

The "old stuff" equipment isnt supposed to be used i combat (not the ones I tried anyway). U cant even look through the sights of our weapon with this things on and if u get exposed to a sudden flash then u loose all vision for a time.

I use the NV goggles even when it's dusk or dawn in the game. The enemy soldiers stand out against the background a lot clearer when you look at them through your NV goggles.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aculaud @ Mar. 14 2002,08:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">yeah, rogue spear had much better nhight vision. So does Ghost Recon<span id='postcolor'>

But in Ghost Recon the soldiers will glow like they were radioactive even in a room with no light what so ever.

lol, radioactive. smile.gif You sure it wasn't thermal imaging or something?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (overkill @ Mar. 14 2002,08:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As you know thermal imaging, and infrared are different than Night vision. Thermal uses heat, infrared uses colors in the light spectrum that we cannot see, and night vision uses ambient light souce..<span id='postcolor'>

Ermmm....thermal imaging is infra-red. They're the same thing. Heat emmited from an object is infra-red radiation.

All I can add is that I servered from 80-83 and use the PVS/4 (standard issue at the time) on a regular basis. IMHO the in game nv is a faily accurate depiction of what I was seeing using the pvs/4... NODA! LoL!

It's not something you just pick, put on, turn on, and BAM! starlight-starbright you see everything... At least thats not how the older stuff works. Everytime you go to use it you need about 30seconds to get a good veiw... 1)you eye is freaking out because of the sudden burst of light and 2) Every veiw is different depending on the amount of incoming light so adjustments must be made to get the best view.

SandMan... I hear ya, I was watching my buddy enter a treeline once and he set off a ground level trip flare.... PooF!

Ohya I cried "Havoc" all right!smile.gif

I just remembered something else anout these old NVG´s...

There was different "modes" u could use. One regular (just NightVision) and one other mode who warned you if someone was looking at U with thermal imaging (like a thermal sight on a tank or apc...). If someone in a tank was looking in his thermal sight and he looked in your direction (general direction) U could hear a *hum* from the equipment.

Wouldnt it be cool if BIS could implement this into the game (shouldnt be that hard...)??