Sign in to follow this  
MareNostrum

Step by Step Helicopter Extraction Guide

Hi, follow these steps if you want to add a helicopter extraction to your mission in the editor.

1. First go to nonplayable, empty, objects, and insert a visible or invisible H (helipad) where you want to the helicopter to land.

2. Place a transport helicopter on the map where you want it to start flying from, I used a MH-60S seahawk. Name it as: Helicopter

3. Type Helicopter flyinheight 85 in the initialization. You can put any height number in.

4. Place a MOVE waypoint next (very close) to the helicopter.

5. Synchronize the first MOVE waypoint to whatever trigger you made (such as destroying an objective) that will cause the extraction to take place.

6. Next connect the MOVE waypoint to a LOAD waypoint placed on the helipad. In the ON ACT for the LOAD waypoint type:

dostop Helicopter;Helicopter land "land"

this forces the Helicopter to land on the helipad and turn off the engine.

7. Now place another MOVE waypoint right next to the LOAD waypoint (place it practically on top of it) In the condition for the MOVE waypoint type:

((!alive unit1) OR (unit1 in helicopter)) AND ((!alive unit2) OR (unit2 in helicopter)) AND ((!alive unit3) OR (unit3 in helicopter)) AND ((!alive unit4) OR unit4 in helicopter) AND ((!alive unit5) OR (unit5 in helicopter)) AND ((!alive unit6) OR (unit6 in helicopter)) AND ((!alive unit7) OR (unit7 in helicopter)) AND ((!alive unit8) OR (unit8 in helicopter))

What this condition does is it asks: Is the unite alive or dead? If he is dead then don't wait for him. If he is alive, is he in the chopper? If not then wait for him. Basically it checks to see if everyone is in the chopper before leaving to the next waypoints. You may need to adjust the condition to fit the number of units in the group for your mission. Also you should go to the group of infantry that you want to transport and individually name each one of them unit1, unit2, etc... so the Helicopter knows who you're referring to.

8. Now place the remaining MOVE waypoints that you want the helicopter to travel through.

9. Put a UNLOAD waypoint where you want the Helicopter to land. And an invisible helipad as well. For the waypoint under On Act type :

to force the helicoper to land at the drop off point.

((!alive unit1) OR (unit1 in helicopter))

Thanks for the tips there mate. But shouldn't this part be ((!alive unit1) AND (unit1 in helicopter)) instead of OR? Otherwise the condition would be met when the unit is generally alive or in the chopper, not necessarily alive in the chopper.

Thanks for the tips there mate. But shouldn't this part be ((!alive unit1) AND (unit1 in helicopter)) instead of OR? Otherwise the condition would be met when the unit is generally alive or in the chopper, not necessarily alive in the chopper.

!alive is the same as NOT alive (note the exclamation mark in front of 'alive'), so it checks if unit1 is not alive/existing, or if it's in the helo.

The !alive actually checks to see if the unit is dead, cause of the ! mark. If they're in the chopper then they've got to be alive. So I believe its checking: "Is he dead or is he in the chopper?" Cause if they're in the chopper they can't be dead. Now my head hurts :confused: Works for me.

Ok thanks for the clearup, I'll give it a go.

EDIT: Quick question, could this work on the reverse? Say for an insertion how can I make the (unit1 in helicopter)) part a negative condition, so when the unit gets out the chopper is free to take off?

Nevermind, I played around and got it. (not (unit1 in helicopter))) is the reverse, used to check if the unit has got out of the chopper.

Edited by SafetyCatch

I made a lot of example mission like heli insertion, extraction, via radio call and som_transport. Take a look!

Learning by doing! ;)

Quick question guys, I've just run this method in an MP mission of mine:

(not (a1 in helicopter))) OR (a1 in chopper)) AND (not (a2 in helicopter))) OR (a2 in chopper)) AND (not (a3 in helicopter))) OR (a3 in chopper)) AND (not (a4 in helicopter))) OR (a4 in chopper))

This is in the condition field of an insertion chopper, with the take off method in the activation. However, when the 4 units have got out the chopper still doesn't take off. It works in SP but not in MP.

Any suggestions?

@safetycatch

I count 2 helicopters in your code "helicopter" and "chopper"... which one are you trying to do the insertion with?

Quick question guys, I've just run this method in an MP mission of mine:

(not (a1 in helicopter))) OR (a1 in chopper)) AND (not (a2 in helicopter))) OR (a2 in chopper)) AND (not (a3 in helicopter))) OR (a3 in chopper)) AND (not (a4 in helicopter))) OR (a4 in chopper))

This is in the condition field of an insertion chopper, with the take off method in the activation. However, when the 4 units have got out the chopper still doesn't take off. It works in SP but not in MP.

Any suggestions?

Is that even a proper if statement?

For the first A OR B part (not (a1 in helicopter))) OR (a1 in chopper)), if A is true or B is true, its the same as just having if B/A. A is false or B is true is impossible (you cant be in two different units at once). A is true or B is false is the same as just having if B/A (he's not in any vehicle). If A is false or B is false, its the same as if B/A (for the third time). What you use depends on whether you check "helicopter" or "chopper", but checking both isnt needed since in this case, he's either in the helo he's being inserted with or he isnt.

Maybe I'm just confused... But this sounds awfully complicated to just check if a group is inside a helo. I thought a simple unload waypoint waited until the whole group has gotten out and then they proceed with the next waypoint?

Edited by Murklor

Sorry about the mixup, I copied and pasted some of the code I posted much earlier in the thread as well as typing some of it out so it was half and half, it actually reads:

(not (a1 in chopper))) OR (a1 in chopper)) AND (not (a2 in chopper))) OR (a2 in chopper)) AND (not (a3 in chopper))) OR (a3 in chopper)) AND (not (a4 in chopper))) OR (a4 in chopper))

So there is only one vehicle, chopper, and four playable units a1, a2, a3 and a4.

The idea is that I don't want to have to use waypoints for the player group at all. This code works for SP but not for MP.

I've tested this a couple of times now, it seems to work on the odd occasion when the player group has AI in it, otherwise it seems the chopper doesn't recognise the group getting out. Considering this is an MP mission where the friendly AI aren't needed I'm not sure what to try.

Any ideas?

Hey thanks for the guide worked great first time! One question how do i make it so the engine doesnt turn off i want it to keep going like a fast extraction style :)

I've tested this a couple of times now, it seems to work on the odd occasion when the player group has AI in it, otherwise it seems the chopper doesn't recognise the group getting out. Considering this is an MP mission where the friendly AI aren't needed I'm not sure what to try.

Any ideas?

To be frank the whole if-statement looks totally messed up. I can't actually even see what you want it to do.

What is the if-statement supposed to achieve, if you put it in words?

Or what if you woulde like the chopper to return to base, and then come back to get you after you successede the misson?

Well I got it to work where we load up at base, he drops us off where I tell him to land, but then he just shuts his engines off and stays there... What do I need to add to the UNLOAD waypoint to make him stay there until all units are unloaded (like how he waits until all units are loaded), before he takes off again and flys back to base?

this is what I have in the unload script.

---------- Post added at 11:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

So after the Land/Unload waypoint I put another move waypoint back at base where I want him to fly after he drops us off, and I put this in that way point...

((!alive unit1) OR (!unit1 in helicopter))

So if unit 1 is dead, or unit1 is not in the helicopter then go there....isnt that right?

guys need little help here

the guys moveincargo in heli, then it move somewhere with UNLOAD WP on alpha triger it land and stop with dostop land, but the guys stay in and never leave, the group are sub command

Hi, follow these steps if you want to add a helicopter extraction to your mission in the editor.

1. First go to nonplayable, empty, objects, and insert a visible or invisible H (helipad) where you want to the helicopter to land.

2. Place a transport helicopter on the map where you want it to start flying from, I used a MH-60S seahawk. Name it as: Helicopter

3. Type Helicopter flyinheight 85 in the initialization. You can put any height number in.

5. Synchronize the first MOVE waypoint to whatever trigger you made (such as destroying an objective) that will cause the extraction to take place.

6. Next connect the MOVE waypoint to a LOAD waypoint placed on the helipad. In the ON ACT for the LOAD waypoint type:

7. Now place another MOVE waypoint right next to the LOAD waypoint (place it practically on top of it) In the condition for the MOVE waypoint type:

((!alive unit1) OR (unit1 in helicopter)) AND ((!alive unit2) OR (unit2 in helicopter)) AND ((!alive unit3) OR (unit3 in helicopter)) AND ((!alive unit4) OR unit4 in helicopter) AND ((!alive unit5) OR (unit5 in helicopter)) AND ((!alive unit6) OR (unit6 in helicopter)) AND ((!alive unit7) OR (unit7 in helicopter)) AND ((!alive unit8) OR (unit8 in helicopter))

What this condition does is it asks: Is the unite alive or dead? If he is dead then don't wait for him. If he is alive, is he in the chopper? If not then wait for him. Basically it checks to see if everyone is in the chopper before leaving to the next waypoints. You may need to adjust the condition to fit the number of units in the group for your mission. Also you should go to the group of infantry that you want to transport and individually name each one of them unit1, unit2, etc... so the Helicopter knows who you're referring to.

8. Now place the remaining MOVE waypoints that you want the helicopter to travel through.

9. Put a UNLOAD waypoint where you want the Helicopter to land. And an invisible helipad as well. For the waypoint under On Act type :

Hi! this is my first post and I just can't seem to get this to work. The problem is is when my group boards the chopper it doesn't check if everyone is aboard. As soon as anyone boards the chopper it starts the engines and takes off.

Chopper is named helo3.

The guys in the group are named uni1, unit2 and so forth.

This is how the MOVE waypoints condition field looks like directly after the LOAD wayoint:

((!alive unit1) OR (unit1 in helo3)) AND ((!alive unit2) OR (unit2 in helo3)) AND ((!alive unit3) OR (unit3 in helo3)) AND ((!alive unit4) OR (unit4 in helo3)) AND ((!alive unit5) OR (unit5 in helo3)) AND ((!alive unit6) OR (unit6 in helo3))

Anyone capable of giving some hints?

So the first time I used this guide it worked perfectly and then I tried to create three helicopters using it and now none of them work. I even deleted them all and made a new one in a attempt to make one working one again.

So I have a Seahawk, as suggested, in the Air above the ocean with

Helicopter flyinheight 85

its initialization.

I then have a move point very close to the helicopter and the next waypoint is a load waypoint on a helipad and the load waypoint has

in its on act.

My next waypoint is a move waypoint very near the helipad and it has this

((!alive B1) OR (B1 in helicopter)) AND ((!alive B2) OR (B2 in helicopter)) AND ((!alive B3) OR (B3 in helicopter)) AND ((!alive B4) OR B4 in helicopter) AND ((!alive B5) OR (B5 in helicopter)) AND ((!alive B6) OR (B6 in helicopter)) AND ((!alive B7) OR (B7 in helicopter)) AND ((!alive B8) OR (B8 in helicopter))  

in its condition box.

Any idea what im doing wrong? The first time I followed it, it worked great. Now I can't figure it out.

This Script either has errors or it does not work, thanx but please put in the rest.

I don't know if it has errors. The first time I did it, it worked perfectly. Once I move the helicopter's intial start point it apparently decided not work anymore..I hate how finicky things are in this game.