Thread: I dont understand

I dont understand

when i try to join a ofp server, they ban me for having a high ping and it says in the game that i have a ping of 367 but when i ran a speed test from speedtest.net they said i only had a ping of 28 i dont get it help i really wanna play online take a look here http://www.speedtest.net/result/509313827.png

Speedtest gives you info about the latency between you and the specific target machine used during that test, but the latency between you and the MP server you are trying to connect to, can be (and most probably is) completely different.

In other words:
    You have good latency when comunicating with the remote machine used in Speedtest, not the latency between you and the OFP server.

An example:
    When i run Speedtest and choose to run the test against server in Berlin, i get ping about 50ms.
    But my ping when communicating with server in Canada varies around 100-250ms.

If you can make it by car from Berlin to Paris in 8 hours, would you think it takes the same amount of time to travel to Oslo?
    Obviously not, because these are different routes with different speed limits, different traffic, etc.
    Core i7-4820K @ 4.8GHz | 64GB DDR3 | ASUS GTX TITAN Black | OCZ Revo 120GB PCIe SSD | 2x OCZ Vertex 4 120GB |
    Windows 7 64bit Professional | OFP, Arma, Arma 2, Arma 3

Free hug for everybody who reads first, and asks later!

Master Gunnery Sergeant -Martin-'s Avatar
    Basically the farther away the serve ris the more time it takes for thise signal to reach :]

Author of the Thread
    so your saying i should connect to a server close to me like in singapore or china ( i live in the philippines) because they are the closest and the only ones online

What people are saying is the further you are away from a server, the higher the latency and the higher your ping will be. Not all servers have the high ping block feature turned on. If you use OFPWatch it shows the ping to each sever, you can use this as a guide to tell which servers would work better for you.
    System Specs: [Intel i5 655k 3.2ghz unlocked]...[8gb ddr3 1344mhz ram]...[evga GTX660sc 2gb gddr5]...[Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme]
    Worlds largest collection of OFP files known to man.

Master Gunnery Sergeant -Martin-'s Avatar
    Go to this site: http://www.ofpr.info/ and use the search box

EDIT: Sorry this post is ment to be for this thread http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...25#post1347325 and it some how got here, this new forum is damn strange =O
    Last edited by -Martin-; Jul 5 2009 at 13:00. Reason: Wrong thread

Pings below 500 mustn't be a problem ...

... when you are commanding a squad, especially gaming a cti as commander while it is a problem in a person vs person deathmatch (DM) game where a delay of half a second can and often will be deadly.
    Before we were forced to use "just another datacollecting and advertising imposing superfluous 'service' like steam" my signature went like this for many, many years:
    "There was once a dark age when players were herded like cattle down rigid gaming paths - and Bohemia Interactive Studios were the Che Guevara types who set them free." Watch n' listen: Thank you, Bohemia for fascinating games since 2001. Engine: Win8 32-Bit on AMD64 6000 X2 (2 x 3100 MHz) * NVidia 9600 GT 1024 MByte * 1920 x 1080 pixels * 27'' TFT * RAM 3 GByte - it all works very smooth especially because of SSD