Sign in to follow this  
maturin

How to use artillery in editor

You can place 81mm mortars in the editor, but all you have is a crosshair pointing up at the sky. Fire it, and you'll never see it land.

How do you use it effectively as gunner, or better yet, how do you set it up as a remote or virtual support option?

I've also seen people calling in a fuel air bomb strike. Was that something that required scripting/addons?

Someone has to have figured it out by now.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Artillery_Module

this is the most useless excuse for documentation

I am fed up - I cant get artillery to work, nor CAS etc - for artillery It says in the "action menu"

what fricken action menu ?

I am p*ssed off - how about step by step instructions with screen shots explaining each step

Instead we have this forum with its vague instructions and assumptions - sucks.

QUOTE:

"The Artillery Firing Interface

If you just want to play around with the Artillery as a player, you can do so by doing the following. Set up a static Artillery vehicle (empty). Put an Artillery GameLogic on the map. Syncronize the Artillery GameLogic with the static weapon you placed. If this is not done, the Artillery module features may not run properly in a multiplayer mission. Finally, start the game and get into the Artillery.

***You will see an option to target the artillery in your action menu. Clicking this brings up the artillery firing interface map. Each fall line on the map shows the fall altitude of your shell (or mortar round) at a given elevation and azimuth.

****Note that you will need to be using ARTY ammo for this to work. Load an ARTY Magazine in your vehicle if you do not have one loaded already."

*** all fine up to here - what action menu ?

**** what vehicle ?

Vague and useless instructions that don't help the people that actually need them.

Edited by gareththomasnz

Action menu can be accessed via your mousewheel, you probably use it all the time.

I think the reference to 'vehicle' means an Artillery Vehicle. Presumably an inconsistency in the instructions as obviously artillery can be vehicle mounted or otherwise. Just read is as 'Artillery Piece' and you should be good to go.

DOWNLOAD THE EXAMPLE MISSIONS IN THIS BIKI PAGE!

You can figure out by yourself how it works or just copy it into your missions.

1. Wrong place to post this.

2. Un-descriptive thread title, you didn't even use a question mark!

3. Use the search function, I believe there's even a stickied guide on how to do this in the editing section.

yeah the example missions are the most helpfull thing

What bistudio needs to do is put together a proper printed manual on scripting, editing and modding.

From beginner level to advanced - with screen shots and step by step instructions.

Everybody would appreciate that.

What bistudio needs to do is put together a proper printed manual on scripting, editing and modding.

From beginner level to advanced - with screen shots and step by step instructions.

I'd love this too and I'm sure they're working on something like this slowly (the biki pages), but they also heads down releasing beta patches every few days.

Maybe we'll see more documentation after 1.5 is released.

For scripting ,scenario building etc. look at "Mr Murrays" tutorial. Goes into great detail on scripting , setting up scenarios and how to use the editor, menu actions etc. DL and print. Much more useful as a reference than the endless links and lack of solid working examples etc. on those damn WiKi pages.

It's for ArmA1 but 99.9% of it will work in ArmA2. Once you get a handle on this , then you can delve into the extra's that came with ArmA2.

I've always felt that with the scripting language being so unstructured and so unfamiliar to anyone with any structured programming experience & with the complexity of the game a well written manual , even at an extra cost , would be welcome.

Just wish they'd sticky a link to Dr Murrays guide as this one is IMO far more useful for learning how to play ArmA than Dsylexi's (which is basically just a well written tactics manual) which does havea sticky.

And what we all need is the change of attitude of poeple like you demanding things. I had no problem figuring out the artilleryjust by using the biki. If you want further detail you better ask in mission editing section and ask it without hrowing names all around. Because the way you asked, even when i know the answear, im not gonna help. KTHXBYE

Don't worry about that message above me, search isn't the answer for everything... In fact every time I use the search function I get no solutions. Also, there are huge amounts of information missing in the biki. Not everyone wants the same exact thing, we need to know more then what basics are out there. Also if you know the answer and are not willing to share but instead rant about it... do us a favor and stop posting on this website.

Does anyone know if it is possible to use the artillery interface - the screen-in-screen minimap - from Arma2 in OA and how it is done?