Sign in to follow this  
POTS

leafy trees, huge fps killer, especialy orange one's

Pine trees, entire forests of them, grass, all those things have nice and high frames when looking at them. Hell, even towns can get better frames then 3 leafy trees (even though towns are much worse then arma on fps and need lots of work). But for some reason those leafy trees (specialy the orange) kill your frames. When looking at a cluster of 3 leafy trees, your frames can get cut in half (50% loss). That doesn't make any sense, as they dont even look that much better than arma's. I think BIS should take a look into why. Setting grass from normal to very high only eats like 5-8 frames, but looking at a stupid leafy tree eats 50% of your framerate. It probably has to do with rendering leaves behind other leaves, but still, fix them!

Other than that (besides lod issues and bizzare AA), arma2 runs and looks great! I'm sure that once the leafy trees are fixed up more, I'll feel better about turning on my AA knowing those trees wont kill me in combat.

tree (and plant) are a fail of bohemia since arma1. with arma2 , it sucks scene complexity at a point where engine has no more time to render well crucial thing. like vehicle , soldier , house.

i vote for a TOTAL erase of actual vegetation stuff.

Edited by GLeek

tree (and plant) are a fail of bohemia since arma1. with arma2 , it sucks scene complexity at a point where engine has no more time to render well crucial thing. like vehicle , soldier , house.

Nah, that would be terrible, wreck gameplay. If you dont like it, go back to ofp and download all the gameplay mods.

I dont think that would add to the milsim tag...more like playing on the Moon!

Pine trees, entire forests of them, grass, all those things have nice and high frames when looking at them. Hell, even towns can get better frames then 3 leafy trees (even though towns are much worse then arma on fps and need lots of work). But for some reason those leafy trees (specialy the orange) kill your frames. When looking at a cluster of 3 leafy trees, your frames can get cut in half (50% loss). That doesn't make any sense, as they dont even look that much better than arma's. I think BIS should take a look into why. Setting grass from normal to very high only eats like 5-8 frames, but looking at a stupid leafy tree eats 50% of your framerate. It probably has to do with rendering leaves behind other leaves, but still, fix them!

Other than that (besides lod issues and bizzare AA), arma2 runs and looks great! I'm sure that once the leafy trees are fixed up more, I'll feel better about turning on my AA knowing those trees wont kill me in combat.

Yep its a killer. I guess your running FRAPS? Do you notice it more when you "zoom" at plants/trees? Does it happen over time, or is it like it as soon as you start playing?

Also you may have mentioned before, but what are your GFX settings and Specs?

Sorry for all the questions :)

cheers

HD 4870 512mb

E8400 3.2ghz

Texture detail: Veryhigh

Memory: Veryhigh

Anisotropic Filtering: Veryhigh

AA: Disabled

Terrain Detail: Normal

Object Detail: High

Shadows: High

Post Process: Disabled

Fillrate: 100%

Only leafy trees and towns that hurt me (towns are not as bad only 45-low 50's). Everywhere else, even forests, have great frames (55-60+). Leafy trees give me 35-45, sometimes dropping below 30. If my frames were consistently in the 30's or 40's It wouldn't be a problem, but when I'm doing so well with every other scene and I get a huge drop from looking at a single one of those trees its very noticable.

AA is a strange beast in ArmA2. It does help with the jaggies a little, but eats a lot of frames compared to arma. I would feel more comfortable enabling it if those leafy trees didn't kill performance. It would be very unreliable for multiplayer.

I dont think that would add to the milsim tag...more like playing on the Moon!

i meant replace them ! by something simpler

---------- Post added at 01:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 AM ----------

we all agree: basically, bohemia failed.

I run with AA on normal and I dont get any noticeable performance issues.

One thing I did notice is that switching object and terrain detail to "high" as opposed to "very high" yielded about +20 FPS. Terrain detail seems to be the bigger offender.

Eth

I agree, these trees could definitely be optimized, even if it meant using lower-poly models. It doesn't make sense for certain objects to have such a disproportionate impact on performance. Zooming in on them is also a nightmare. I usually don't suffer from mouse lag except when zooming in on these trees or looking at them close up. The frame counter says 30 or so fps but it feels like I'm dragging the mouse through molasses. This really kills the gameplay whenever you're trying to track targets who happen to be walking or running in front of these trees. I really hope this is addressed in the next patch. It's also true that the evergreen trees don't cause this problem, only the orange and the thicker/shorter lighter green forests.

@ethne,

We don't all have core i7s and triple sli systems you know...;) It is definitely a performance issue that should be looked into, maybe on your hardware it isn't as noticeable.

For some reason the orange trees and bushes only drop my performance if AA is turned on. All the other foliage is fine.

HD4870X2, 4Go DDR8500 and E8500@3.8Ghz and I have not problem with lag in forest. I have a lot of lag in town yhen you respan by MHQ or when you are coming by plane. In Forest, No problem, but I turn off grass because it's a problem to see the enemy, not for a lag problem. And all my setting are on High or Very High.

Try something, The setting in the middle (think it's texture model and another...) If you turn it medium - High or Very High or less...there are no problem yith lag, the game stay the same. You have just a better graphic game. But the problem is the setting on left (first and second) who cut FPS by 30%. Sry My english is not very good ^^

dude, go play something else or OFP then, that would mean, that those with higher graphic settings are in a disadvantage.

Orange trees do work my 4870 pretty hard, when I look at them the fan on the gpu runs pretty fast.

I've got the same problem. It was a problem since Arma1 for me, but in Arma1 they fixed it (even though it came very late). I don't understand, why this issue keeps coming back. Everything in Arma2 is running fine except for those orange bushes & trees. I've even a very good framerate in towns, it doesn't drop so much. It's a shame they focus only on that town issue in the next patch which is meant to be a "perfomance patch", cause it's not the towns that suck performance (for me at least).

It doesn't matter which settings I have set, the performance drop is always there.

I really hope we don't have to wait one year again like it was for Arma1 until this issue gets fixed.

Well, for me most of the tree/leaf lag disappeared after applying patch 1.03.

Patch 1.03 made it even worse for me when looking on those orange trees & bushes. But it improved using binoculars, they don't drop performance at all for me now, no matter what I'm looking at.

Edited by LeadCommando65

HD 4870 512mb

E8400 3.2ghz

Texture detail: Veryhigh

Memory: Veryhigh

Anisotropic Filtering: Veryhigh

AA: Disabled

Terrain Detail: Normal

Object Detail: High

Shadows: High

Post Process: Disabled

Fillrate: 100%

funny how you are complaining about tree performance and yet you have texture detail on very high.

Terrain Detail/Objects Detail

The Terrain Detail option controls the density and distance of landscape objects such as trees, grass, and shrubbery. Lower this option if your video card is challenged for shader power. The Objects Detail setting is related, but controls the level of detail of objects such as corpses, vehicles, soldiers, and weapons. This option is also dependent on shader performance.

I think video memory - very high, is reserved for cards with 1gb or more of memory. try turning that down to high.

I am using a gtx 275, I get more performance drops from towns than foliage, all high settings, 1280x1024, post low/off depending on the mission.

texture detail is not that big of a killer.

Object detail IS. Very much so .

Hell no just look the other way man :rolleyes:

a single tree @ maxlod has proabably more polycount than 2 or 3 house @max lod.

make count. i prefer basic tree , with geometry complexity at its maximum.

i dislike see wall spawns as i'm approaching...

...Patch 1.03 made it even worse for me when looking on those orange trees & bushes. But it improved using binoculars, they don't drop performance at all for me now, no matter what I'm looking at.

That's strange!

E.g.

In 1.02 running 3rd test "Tank Walk" of the arma2mark benchmark, I had a huge freeze while "flying" through that large orange tree in the middle of the field.

In 1.03 I have no freeze at all.