Sign in to follow this  
Phaedrus

3D Vision

Nvidia's 3D vision works in game with the latest drivers. Since there currently is no profile for ARMA 2, you must adjust the settings in order to make the most of the hardware. This includes convergence, which will not work unless you click the advanced in-game settings under the keyboard shortcuts form located in the Nvidia control panel. Adjust the debth and convergence until the two parallel lines in an AH1 canopy overhead show as single rather than double vision. The debth is more a matter of choice. You will notice your gun and weapon's site should appear correctly in game after you have completed this. Once you have the right profile, save it using Ctrl+F7. You're stuck with the way the cloulds will appear as long as you maintain some 3D affect, however, if you are editing your mission, you can change the weather to clear conditions for current and forecast mission time.

Wow! 3d..!

What kind of advantages does it give you in ARMA 2 ?

Can you tell me the hardware and software required to get 3d ?

Links please ?

Thank you very much ! :D

Thanks for the link Easty ! :bounce3:

Hmm, but what benefits do you get with 3d in ARMA 2 ?

Thanks for the link Easty ! :bounce3:

Hmm, but what benefits do you get with 3d in ARMA 2 ?

Things fly past your head.. added immersion. the female characters become much more interesting.. :cool:

Things fly past your head.. added immersion. the female characters become much more interesting.. :cool:

Hmm, sounds interesting enough.. (lifelike boobs ? :D )

Unfortunately, I don't see how the 3D Vision glasses can fit over my existing spectacles. I don't like wearing contact lenses :p

From a test I've read, things don't get "out of the screen" but you have depth "behind" the screen, like looking through a window.

If the 2D elements like the UI (or clouds as stated in the OP, and probably smoke effects ?) don't spoil the effect, it should just be a spectacular effect and an incredible addition to immersion, from my experience of stereoscopy. It should also help to get a better estimation of distances.

Doh, I want it !

PS : And from what the tester said, the glasses should fit over spectacles

Edited by Demiun

From a test I've read, things don't get "out of the screen" but you have depth "behind" the screen, like looking through a window.

If the 2D elements like the UI (or clouds as stated in the OP, and probably smoke effects ?) don't spoil the effect, it should just be a spectacular effect and an incredible addition to immersion, from my experience of stereoscopy. It should also help to get a better estimation of distances.

Doh, I want it !

PS : And from what the tester said, the glasses should fit over spectacles

Just don't forget the refresh requirements on your screen.. the higher res you go the lower the refresh rate will be. To achieve what is a low 60hz refresh for both colors you need a monitor capable of 120hz at your chosen resolution.

Well i've took the leap and bought the 3d Vision kit with the Samsung 3d ready monitor. And i've got to say it rocks my world. Together with the TrackIR, it really feels like your in the cockpit :) The guys at BIS should pick one up aswell because after playing it 3d you don't want to go back. Ever.

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit, with a GTX 285. It runs pretty good; you will get a fps hit when enabling S3D but i still manage to keep the fps well above 25 fps with 5k visibility.

Because there is no S3D profile, and ARMA2 is not optimized for S3D there are some problems which limit the S3D depth. When trying to enhance the depth over 20% the aiming will be off and forget about sniping. I hope BIS will eventually patch the S3D bugs so that the sniper scope is only displayed for one eye; like in the real world. Also 2d hud icons that use depth are rendered incorrectly which gives me a headache.(the depth the icons are rendered is reversed)

I hope Nvidia/BIS will fix these problems... Because the more depth the better!

I have the Samsung 2233ZX 120 hz monitor, and opted NOT to get the nVidia Glasses. Why? Cause after I put them on, the game world lost tons of detail and got dark as all getout. Oh the 3D effect was there for sure. But the tradeoff for the 3D was not worth it imho. Not for me anyways.

And your sure you were on 120HZ? Becuase allot of complains about loss of detail are to blame that people are using 60HZ, at 120HZ S3D looks actually better than 2d at the same resolution. Because each eye get's it's own image the S3D technique already introduces a form of anti-aliasing which makes it look more realistic.

The glasses do make everything in the room darker; but not the screen. That way i find it beeing more immersive becuase the only thing you see is your screen.

I just discovered you have to put the shadows on Normal. If you set it to anything higher, the shadows only get drawn correctly for the left eye. Gives a weird image.

I'm glad I came across this thread.

I was thinking about getting the 3d setup but I will wait a bit for it to improve.

Maybe when something like this gets better resolution...

http://www.vuzix.com/iwear/products_vr920.html

Head tracking + stereo glasses = total immersion

(Unlike TrackIR, when you turn your head you don't have to keep your eyes on the screen)

EDIT: I have a TrackIR5 and love it but proper 3d goggles will be soooo much better (when the res improves)

Each lcd in the VR920 is 640x480 but they interlace the two views so you get what looks like 1024x960

Edited by EDcase

But don't count on a proper res HMD soon ;) ARMA2 at 640x480 isn't an option either :)

I've looked at different S3D solutions, but the LCD monitor/shutterglasses (Or polarized, if you use IZ3d) are the best bet for now.

Trackir boosts your head movements so you can turn your virtual head all the way, while rotating your reallife head only a little bit. That way you always see the screen. It takes a little bit to get used to it, but after that it feels normal and you aren't botherd with it.

Interesting thread. I never gave a second look at anything concerning 3d until today. Now I am pretty interested.

Hell, my wife thinks I'm a big enough nerd as it is with my trackir and flight sticks. Why not throw some 3d glasses in the mix?

Only issue is my monitor is 60 hz so it's a no go for me atm.

I went to newegg and checked out monitors for S&Giggles but I don't see any monitors that are 120. Am I missing something?

There are only 2 at the moment one by Viewsonic (not sure of the model number) and the Samsung 2233RZ. I already have a 2233rz (bought it for the 120hz 'cause I cant stand the ghosting of 60hz, it's also much smoother mouse input, even on the windows Desktop).

I was considering the 3d vision kit, but the fact you have to turn off things like shadows etc seems like it would kinda ruin it imo. I mean, the people who are going to buy this stuff are enthusiasts, so most of them are not going to want to turn off gfx details that spoil immersion in other areas. Its interesting technology though.

The best review I have read :

http://techreport.com/articles.x/16313

Nvidia's 3D vision support forum (customer's experience) :

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showforum=40

Edited by -=seany=-

It's an exceptional 2d monitor becuase of 120hz, tests shows it has a more stable image. Also you get the added benefit of using 3d ;)

I use the Samsung too. It's the best gaming LCD i've had till date. Be sure to post in the Arma2 topic at the NVidia forum; maybe that wat we'll get our 3d profile quicker.

I was considering the 3d vision kit, but the fact you have to turn off things like shadows etc seems like it would kinda ruin it imo. I mean, the people who are going to buy this stuff are enthusiasts, so most of them are not going to want to turn off gfx details that spoil immersion in other areas. Its interesting technology though.

Not true; there are only certain games for which you need to disable stuff. It usually is a problem created by developers. They don't use a z-buffer(depth coordinates) for the special effects like smoke/shadows etc. This problem only exhibits only in specific games. Try Batman or Resident Evil 5; you won't have to disable anything there. Arma2 only needs to put the shadows back to normal, and post processing to low; all the other settings are freely adjustable.

What about the 2d sprites? Like the virtual gun sight, or the optics in vehicles, like tank sights. How do they behave? I guess I could live with Normal shadows, but they do look quite crappy compared to High.

After reading the reviews it sounds like a cool concept that is a little too young to truly take advantage of.

I'll keep my eye on it and when they get all the kinks ironed out I may give it a go.

What about the 2d sprites? Like the virtual gun sight, or the optics in vehicles, like tank sights. How do they behave? I guess I could live with Normal shadows, but they do look quite crappy compared to High.

The 2d sprites are actually placed in the 3d space but there rendered at the reverse depth which make them appear double at a lot of depth. If you use low depth(10%-20%) you won't have that problem, and the effect is still good enough.

Both the shadows and the sprites can be fixed by either an Nvidia profile, or an patch for arma 2. But that would depend on Nvidia and BIS.

I think S3d is not some feature to just forget about, especially for the BIS developers. The army would love to use an professional 3d HMD together with VBS ;)