Sign in to follow this  
BigRed

Climb over Animation

Isn't there a way to make the animation faster because as it is now this won't be used as much as it should be in PvP. I love it just needs to be faster.

Coop guys no need to reply.

If there is another thread sorry I didn't look I am at work and no time too.

Why does it need to be faster? I don't want to get a fence stake shoved up my rear because the avatar decided to go faster. It is an animation though and someone could probably make a shift+v combo that runs a faster but sloppier anim.

i think the speed is fine, but i'd like it to step up aswell.. like i could climb on top of waist height sandbags or on the hood of a car or a barrel

just feels silly that i'm glued to the ground

not game breaking, but something that would be nice

I guess the way think about it is if you were running hurdles would you slow down and step over it or jump it in one motion? Don't make it so fast to where it's like a bunny hopping game but make it to where it flows like it goes with the speed that you get to the fence. I know if my ass is getting shot at I am getting over the fence as soon as I can :).

You try hoping over a picket fence with 80 pounds of gear. Suck it up and plan your movements, whether in coop or PvP, morons need not apply.

Have you also ever tried jumping over a pointed fence, or any fence of that matter and not quite cleared it? :D Not such great times, especially if you halt mid jump..and it's a picket fence....ow.

Like Frederf said, the problem is weight of equipment the soldiers carry, much like the whole swimming thing, for civilians this might could work but then someone would want to apply it to soldiers and poof.

The animation is not based on weight because it's the same not matter what your load out is so I will quote yourself "morons need not apply".

Realism is great but making a animation smoother doesn't kill the game. You guys act like I wanted the guy jumping the fence like a jack rabbit I just wanted it to flow better.

Thanks for reminding me why I hate to post here. BIS team is great but the members that think there gods gift to the game kill it here.

You are pretty thick aren't you? ArmA doesn't and never has taken combat weight into consideration when dealing with anything. The animations are made for the average soldier load and that average soldier load is rather heavy and cumbersome.

The animation is plenty smooth for an engine that basically has to force move the player and then reengage collision detection after. I remind you that your double-speak and backpedaling don't work too well on a forum where everything you type is written down. Your words are Isn't there a way to make the animation faster.

It's possible to express a differing opinion without the need for vitriol.

I agree with BigRed that the sudden stop when entering the "step over" animation from a sprint looks weird. But I also agree that making it faster isn't the answer, especially not fences. It would be nice to have an alternate animation for shorter obstacles that you could step on as you pass it (the benches in Vyshnoye for example), but they're not common enough to make it much of a priority.

A better solution might be to make it so hitting V to step over things while running full tilt causes the character to trip over? That way people would slow down on their own before trying to climb over a fence, neatly preserving both flow and realism. :)

I think there's room for a low jump for smaller obstacles where it is unnatural and odd to come to a full stop and straddle as-is. I'm thinking akin to the jump in TeaCup's ArmA 1

I'd simply like them to make the animation only work in the proper context. Looks kind of silly for me to be jumping over an invisible picket fence again and again.

You are pretty thick aren't you? ArmA doesn't and never has taken combat weight into consideration when dealing with anything. The animations are made for the average soldier load and that average soldier load is rather heavy and cumbersome.

Dude you brought the weight stuff into this not me.

BigRed I will release an addon for it soon.

The current step over system is just horrible. It's the same animation at the same speed no matter what your movement speed is and doesn't matter what the obstacle is. It can be just a low stone wall and it'll be just as hard and take just as long and have the same animation as climbing a wall of max climbable height.

Having weight actually factored in here would obviously be a great addition (just like having it factored everywhere else in the game would be great), but it's not very related to the topic, as the topic is about having the animation unnatural and unrealistic, which it is, no matter what weight you're carrying.

I'de like to see an animation for jumping over walls. Walls that are no higher than just what the player can reach. He would just jump up and grab the top of the fence and then pull his body up over. Just like in real life.

And how often would you be able to do this? Jump over wall after wall after wall or timed to every 5-10-30 minutes?

Remember this is trying to be more realistic than CoD, BF2 where you can jump around like a fucking bunny.

And how often would you be able to do this? Jump over wall after wall after wall or timed to every 5-10-30 minutes?

Remember this is trying to be more realistic than CoD, BF2 where you can jump around like a fucking bunny.

As often as needed. No one is seriously going to risk been shot or waste there time doing it nonstop as u use the walls for cover.

Make it impossible for soldiers with heavy loads unless they drop there AA/AT launchers etc

Surely ur average real life soldier can climb a wall or fence just above their own height. I can jump/climb my own fence with ease.

I'm trying to be realistic, soldiers do climb fences and small walls

soldiers getting tired would come in handy too

Edited by vasmkd

From a gameplay POV, an obstacle is an obstacle. The low fences should be a hindrance to movement (which it is) not an impedance like taller fences and walls. I think it's fine the way it is because of that.

If you allow players to hurdle the low fences without hindrance by making it faster, there's no tactical consideration to planning paths through such obstruction ladened areas. The old design choice was either make an area impassable or make an area freely travelled. Now we have an intermediate step, make an area cumbersome.

fast jumping over obstackles would remind me wayy too much of CoD series.

I think the speed you can now climb over fences is just good. ;)

It really depends on the obstacles' height. Some obstacles right now that can't be walked over are low enough for you to be able to cross them much faster than you can in game, while some are at a height where the current speed is fine. Also, many are too high to be crossable in game but low enough to be crossable IRL.

America's Army 3 had taken a good step in the right direction, though these things can always use more work.

COD4 climbing animations were actually pretty realistc. It's the jumping (as well as the rest of the game) that was unrealistic, and you could actually jump unrealistically over climbable obstacles and in this way gain an unrealistic advantage.

From what I've seen so far, the current climb over animation works fine. I haven't seen the entire game yet, so I might change my mind later, but for now, I don't see much of a need for change.

A faster animation from sprint could be a one handed 'vault'.

When running, the avatar places right hand on the obstacle and swings his legs, (right foot first) over from the left hand side, plants and continues running.

Or infact, now that there's this context sensitive system for static objects, different anims could be assigned to objects dependent on their height practical crossability.

Edited by Electricleash

I sympathize with the people that want a smoother animation, but this is ArmA. ArmA's engine has made fluid motion practically impossible for over a decade. When you're around it long enough to get a deep familiarity with the engine you start to recognize what's never going to change without some fantasy-scale overhaul.

Try walking off a 50cm high ledge onto a lower surface while keeping your stride. It's impossible. The second you become unglued from the terrain in the normal sense you make absolutely necessary the phase where you become "reglued" which requires the engine halt you, figure out if you live or die, and then give you control again.

It feels the same as the parachute to walking transition from good ol' BF1942. There's a harsh transition.