Sign in to follow this  
diveplane

ultra realistic mode

i would like to see all options in game icons turned off even when entering planes tanks cars etc.

the HUD display in the middle top is a joke , tells you where enemy is.

i would like to see a option even in mp set by host all this turned off.

no icons . real battlefield its you and the weapons thats it .

no health meters enemy over there huds lol :eek:

Too hardcore for me, especially given the AI will have plenty of unfair aids.

But..... Enemy health meters? Are you kidding?

For MP there will be addons that remove absolutely everything eventually. Just set your server to equal mod. Not a good thing to allow different mods as they also can use different unfair abilities. Even sounds can be a giveaway in certain circumstances.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

I don't think the IR "radar" display belongs in most of the vehicles, except for radar-equipped jets like the F-35 (and then only forward cone.) With M1A2's and LAV-25s and AH-1s, it's all Mk. I Eyeball work.

Too hardcore for me, especially given the AI will have plenty of unfair aids.

But..... Enemy health meters? Are you kidding?

For MP there will be addons that remove absolutely everything eventually. Just set your server to equal mod. Not a good thing to allow different mods as they also can use different unfair abilities. Even sounds can be a giveaway in certain circumstances.

mainly for mp this request =human v human, dont give a crap really about the ai.

health meters when you get in tanks yep. =remove em

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

I don't think the IR "radar" display belongs in most of the vehicles, except for radar-equipped jets like the F-35 (and then only forward cone.) With M1A2's and LAV-25s and AH-1s, it's all Mk. I Eyeball work.

middle upper hud is there dude , red dots =am over here , come shot me.

that crap has to be removed imo.

health meters when you get in tanks yep. =remove em

And how exactly will you tell a tank is damaged before it's too late?

theres a audio cue alarm system in the tank , also by looking at the damage.

=time to evac

Realism = FUN

Over-realism != FUN

And what is being talked about here is over-realism, in my opinion. It's a game, and there's a point where you cross the line between a game and real-life. If this was to ever be introduced, then it'll more-than-likely be options that the player controls. The non-visual damage aids of ArmA II don't work very well, and I bet you would hear the alarm go off in your vehicle and then have it blow up without giving you any time to get out of there. There's only so much a game can simulate. And CarlGustaffa makes a good point, these measures are in there to give you the same edge that the AI have, otherwise they will be overpowering.

For example, the DR "Hardcore" mode sounds far too restricting. The game seems to have either the extreme left ("Arcade" mode) and the extreme right ("Hardcore" mode). There's no middle ground, which is ridiculous.

Hey if you like the idea of your human helicopter opponent tab-fire-tab-fire-tab-fire-tab-fire, oh your whole tank platoon is dead, that's the "fun of non-realism."

Hey if you like the idea of your human helicopter opponent tab-fire-tab-fire-tab-fire-tab-fire, oh your whole tank platoon is dead, that's the "fun of non-realism."

Yeah :D I like it very much :yay:

I personally am a fan of subtle audio/visual feedback instead of GUIs, though obviously it makes a game much harder to learn. For example, I like fact that there is no body display in the HUD that shows the player if and where he is injured. Instead you know only by the fact that you have been hit and are occasionally groaning in pain (even complaining "ow, my leg" etc.), or not being able to walk or aim properly. Also, you can visually inspect your body to assess which parts are hurt.

The question is: how could such a system be implemented for tanks? Without the GUI showing you where the tank is damaged, there is no way of knowing at the moment. How do real-life tank crews assess damage done to their vehicle?

Yeah :D I like it very much :yay:

Ok, you be the tank platoon and I'll be the A-10.

The same can be said when your in a tank hiding behind buildings and wait for the chopper to fly over and put a sabot round into it :D I've seen and done this myself many times even from long range

Without the GUI showing you where the tank is damaged, there is no way of knowing at the moment. How do real-life tank crews assess damage done to their vehicle?

As far as I know, there are no hit indicators on real tanks.

During combats, if some subsystems in the tank stop working, the tank crew will assume they have taken a damaging hit (and if some people inside the tank are wounded or killed, they will assume that the armor has been penetrated!) . After combats, tank crews will examine their tank and often they will realize that their tank has taken hits that they were not aware of.

Tank crews inside a tank have a limited field of view and they are almost deaf, so they have a bad situational awareness. This is why the tank crew must spot the shooter at the precise moment he takes a shot at them in order to know where he is (on the left ? right ? etc..) or, even better, they must spot him before he can shoot :p.

By the way, I like the idea of this ultra realistic mode.

Edited by MQ-9 Reaper

Ok, you be the tank platoon and I'll be the A-10.

Ok, no problem with it :)

audio alarm in the tanks thats it and a fire suppression system .

if you see smoke and flame =bail out

and no possibility to use the ingame map to spot enemys..

Some systems in some tanks turn on some kind of a light when they're damaged. But overall you just know. Hits that did not penetrate, though, generally don't matter. Unlike Arma 2, IRL a hit that didn't cause any damage (or even one that did cause damage but didn't blow the tank up and didn't start a fire) doesn't reduce your HP to 1/2 making the next shot blow the tank up no matter what.

Stuff that you can feel, though, like getting shot, should be on the HUD! Stuff like number of rounds left in the magazine or whatever, should definitely not be there, since you can't really feel that.

I would be very much in favour of striping out HUD elements that provide information you wouldn't have in real life. Surely this could be modded by the community?

Anyone actually know how much time and work it takes an attack Choppers gunner to lock and launch? Speculation there... abounding :confused:

I think that the quest for realism should never stop as the fun of the game comes in for me in that.... when the bullet smashes through your avatars head or your vehicle errupts into flames you dan't actually die...

:D

I would be very much in favour of striping out HUD elements that provide information you wouldn't have in real life. Surely this could be modded by the community?

yep this is the worst thing in the sim. this has to be removed.

Launch rates vary by missile and platform. Be advised that the AGM-114K Hellfire II (and in fact all variants aside from the L) missile requires separate laser guidance until target impact. This means that without special tactics, you can only have one missile in the air at a time. Even with special tactics, 5 targets in 60 seconds is best case scenario. In the manner typically employed by ArmA users, more like 3 targets in 60 seconds. This assumes all targets are known, visible, and close together. Discovering and targeting suitable uncooperative targets during a mission could take significantly longer.

The real AH-1 (as well as non-Longbow AH-64s) relies solely on the TV/IR sensors in the nose to manually identify targets and allow the gunner to point the laser for a Hellfire missile engagement. There is no locking, no magic radar, no fire-and-forget, and no magic diamonds. It works much more like the HMMWV_TOW than anything else.

Given communication for laser code values, it should be very possible and in fact desired for ground forces to use a SOFLAM (i.e. LaserDesignator) to guide air-launched Hellfires to the local target.

But do modern helicopters and jetfighters not usually have some form of sophisticated HUD? As opposed to the unrelistic HUD elements for lets say an infantry rifleman that the game allows ? Removing HUDs from modern fighter aircrafts would be a step back in realism, not forward... if the purpose is to make the game as true to life as possible.

Given communication for laser code values, it should be very possible and in fact desired for ground forces to use a SOFLAM (i.e. LaserDesignator) to guide air-launched Hellfires to the local target.

Except IRL most infantrymen don't carry and/or aren't trained in using such devices.