Sign in to follow this  
max power

WIP: Stuff you are working on 2!

Hey boys look what i have here

[imghttp://www.suckysuckylongtime.com/arma2/stuff/vwbug1.jpg[/img]

[imghttp://www.suckysuckylongtime.com/arma2/stuff/vwbug2.jpg[/img]

Where are the white women at?

I like it. There are a couple of things I can suggest, too.

You have much different detail levels between the headlights and the tail lights. This, I presume, is because the headlights are built into the body mesh and have to follow the flow. Attaching the headlights to the bug's body isn't really necessary since they are seperate pieces and will be hard shaded at the defining edge anyways. This will allow you to make the head lights more round. You could also probably reduce the tail lights a bit.

I still think you should bevel the bottom lip of the headlight inset. On the real car, that is a very soft edge. On your model it's infinitely hard. Remember, there will be 2 vertices for every point on that edge anyways because it's hard shaded. If you throw in a 2 stage bevel, it's not going to be adding much in terms of vertices.

I like the meshflow on the body quite a lot. I think on the nose you should make an edge that defines the point at which the hood intersects with the front fender, though. I find that it makes the point where geo crashes through other geo a bit nicer.

Edited by Max Power

Hy

I made some fantasy models, and this is not my first model but not perfect.

(and sorry for my English)

12fgfretrt44553_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

t35t55z5z5z_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Wireframe please.

Here it is.

fdgdfgfdgf233_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

fdgdfgfdgf_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Or you think the full wireframe?

Edited by Domesz

Sufficient enough for now. Standby for sitrep.

Hi all,

Very much work in progress render:

jjcwarrior.jpg

First attempt at an addon for arma - from what i've read on the forums etc hard work's not even started yet (model's still in blender at the moment) - but thought i'd post a quick render anyway -

Also, I know there's some great guys out there who know a hell of a lot about UK kit - (unlike me + google) would be very grateful for nudge about anything that looks utterly rubbish...

looking good :) although it doesnt quite make sence y one wheel has more polies than the others :P

thanks man -

on the wheels - yeah that's a bit of WIP - modelled a quick wheel early on and copied it through to get a sense of the meat of the thing - saw the poly count was looking ok so went back and worked up the front one but haven't got rid of the earlies..

Edited by -----jayjayc-----

Hi all,

Very much work in progress render:

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/8954/jjcwarrior.jpg

First attempt at an addon for arma - from what i've read on the forums etc hard work's not even started yet (model's still in blender at the moment) - but thought i'd post a quick render anyway -

Also, I know there's some great guys out there who know a hell of a lot about UK kit - (unlike me + google) would be very grateful for nudge about anything that looks utterly rubbish...

http://www.primeportal.net/home.htm

http://www.primeportal.net/apc/dan_hay/warrior/

The Dan Hay walkaround is the best resource i have come across for the FV510

Your model looks spot on as far as shape and scale

apart from the wheels.. the drivers hatch could use a little more detail , its quite a complicated shape ...

lots of reference stuff in those primeportal links for you

Here it is.

[imghttp://kepfeltoltes.hu/090623/fdgdfgfdgf233_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg[/img]

[imghttp://kepfeltoltes.hu/090623/fdgdfgfdgf_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg[/img]

Or you think the full wireframe?

Great start.

Remember that you don't want to have any edges that are not necessary to contribute to the shape of the model. For instance, those extra edge loops on the driving surface of the wheels aren't really doing any work for you.

Also, for pieces like the plate in the middle of the front windshield, I would connect all of those edges to their closest corners. I mean, connect the vertex in the top right corner of the plate that seperates the two windshield panes, and connect it with an edge to the vertex of the top right corner of the front of the vehicle. This will give you two quads directly above that middle plate and then two triangles to either side.

When in doubt, triangulate, and when you are triangulating, try to define the shortest edge possible unless it makes your model look like it has hail damage or something.

jayjayc, very nice Warrior model mate. The shape of the hull and turret is pretty spot-on from what I can see, which is the most important part.

I think sticking a bit more detail on the RARDEN would make an improvement: Make it rounder etc and include the cutting in the top of the barrel sleeve:

http://data3.primeportal.net/apc/dan_hay/warrior/images/warrior_048_of_390.jpg

There should be a stowage bin on the left side of the vehicle, and a basket on the back of the turret too, but I assume you just haven't got around to modelling them yet. I think the rear idler might be a little too small in diameter as well.

Could you post a few more angles of the driver's hatch? Like Orson said, the improved visibility hatch with the three vision-blocks is a pretty complicated shape. The more common one (with a single periscope) is a bit simpler.

I thought the UKF guys are made out of pure evil and spite?

The more modders the better! Don't put them off now and they'll be making great stuff in no time.

And why you are making fun of Domesz, it's not like your first 3d model was amazing :D

just to give you a small idea of what my first real 3d model looked like (i made this back in 2005 or early 2006):

Untitled-3.jpg

its completly UV mapped but i never got myself to actually texture it. However wants it can have it...

let the c**k-waving begin :)

i dont have a c**k. I am just a small asian boi. KTHXBYE

Last I checked this wasn't the "who's the most immature moron" thread, I suggest some of you grow the hell up before you find yourself unable to post.

just to give you a small idea of what my first real 3d model looked like (i made this back in 2005 or early 2006):

You said it.

Uhh the berreta 9000 tutorial! that's a very useful one, it introduced me into 3ds max from Milkshape 3d, very good tut!

Or was it another one?

orson thanks for the pointers,

helped me give the the driver's hatch some attention:

jjcwarrior2.jpg

jjcwarrior3.jpg

da12thmonkey - hows that? was a bit shoddy before anyway - and you're right about the cannon, i'll give some attention to that too, i'm just keen to crack on with UVs and get stuck into 02 etc - this is a bit of a learning off-shoot for me - i'm in a relative comfort zone at the minute as i do some 3d work in real life but haven't done much game content -

yeah i mean to add the other bits and peices - chobham armour as well - think i'll save slat armour etc for another day (month, year) though

anyone got any good references of up to date 'temperate' uk camo (with a view to chernarus, most recent photos on the net are from desert/arid environments for obvious reasons - would orsons links be indicative?)

thanks guys