Sign in to follow this  
Vampire1994

Arma 2 - Female Characters?

A friend got me interested in this game a few months back (Arma1), but there were no female characters. Will there be female characters for female players in the second installment?

Yes, I'm a girl.

Will there be female characters for female players in the second installment?

Nope. It won't.

Nope. It won't.

Are they sexist or something? What's up with that? They don't want women playing the game or something?

Most all modern games have the availability for all players to comfortably get behind the controls. This is the first game in a while, that I know of, that hasn't given the choice.

Alright; refined question then. Will there soon be a way to add a female character into the game as an addon - and if there already is, maybe someone can help me find it?

it's unclear if there will be any female charaters for one of 4 factions by default ...

atm. only civilian female characters are available for mission makers / modders http://www.armatechsquad.com/ArmA2Class/Units/Civilian_Women/

so usermade COOP/MP sessions are already possible to contain playable female model(s) ...

and i'm sure addon makers will follow soon too ...

Most all modern games have the availability for all players to comfortably get behind the controls. This is the first game in a while, that I know of, that hasn't given the choice.

You really don't play all that many games, do you? :confused:

Sure, I think it's about time for BI to add female soldiers. But just for the record, I would like to add that if you can't possibly feel comfortable playing the game unless the main character is the same gender as yourself, it does say a thing or two about you as well...

But, hey. It's a principle. I get it.

Edited by St!gar

There aren't any female models ingame except for the civillian females. And they cannot even pick up a weapon! And I guarantee that if BIS doesn't implement females into the game, then the modding community will, they made female soldiers for ArmA 1.

it's unclear if there will be any female charaters for one of 4 factions by default ...

atm. only civilian female characters are available for mission makers / modders http://www.armatechsquad.com/ArmA2Class/Units/Civilian_Women/

so usermade COOP/MP sessions are already possible to contain playable female model(s) ...

and i'm sure addon makers will follow soon too ...

Thank you so much for providing a nice, kind answer to a simple question. One of the rude guys in here made a condescending statement concerning how often I play games like this in the form of a question.

The answer is no, I haven't played games like this much.

One of the things I've learned already is that places based on games can be filled with very rude people like sk3pt, and st!ger.

Finding nice people like you, Dwarden, must be like finding a needle in a haystack. Is it always like this?

I played as a hooker last night, a couple USMC marines asked me about the weather, there was no scrolling option to respond to their cheesy pick up lines.

The Russian army payed me a lot of money, not to have sex with me but to tell them where the USMC are at, it was the easiest $150 I've ever made.

Are they sexist or something? What's up with that? They don't want women playing the game or something?
The reason why BIS doesn't make an option to play as a female Marine in Force Recon is the same as the reason that they don't paint M1s blue and make them quack when they fire--like it or not, it doesn't happen. The US military, like most militaries (with a few exceptions,) generally does not place women in dedicated combat roles. Some branches/countries allow women to be combat pilots, but not many put them on the ground as actual infantry.

What exactly qualifies as a "combat role" is open to debate in modern combat, but the "rules" are that enlisted women are barred from roles as infantry, most spec op programs, artillery, armor, sub crewmen and maybe a few other roles. This isn't entirely sexist as there are some (seemingly) legitimate arguments in favor of this policy. There are, however, legitimate arguments for removing it.

But that is not for BIS to decide. BIS' job is to simulate reality, and that is what they're doing.

There are female civilians. But all the soldiers are male.

Really, looking at real combat footage, I don't see many female soldiers in combat. It's mostly men.

It would be cool to see female soldiers added to the game, but to be realistic they should be a minority.

But maybe I'm wrong. Someone who has actually served in an army/marines would know better.

It is possible to mod in female soldiers, BIS games are very 'mod friendly'. Nobody seems to have done it yet, but the game hasn't been out for long.

I'm not sure if animations allow the female civilians to pick up weapons. Maybe they could be used with the insurgents if that works.

You probably won't see female soldiers by default. Its against the Geneva convention to use women and children on the battlefield as soldiers. Doing so would be considered a war crime.

Lies.

Thar r no gurlz on teh intrawebz.

I spat water at this.

OT: Yes, there are a "few" arses on these forums Vampire, but honestly, which forums don't?

I can Guarantee you though, that a modder will definately mod female soldiers in somewhere down the line.

Women make up about 20% of the US military. They are almost exclusively in support roles, not frontline or special forces combat roles. An exception would be that there are a small handful of female fighter pilots--I know there are some in the Navy but I don't know if there are any female Marine combat pilots.

Regardless, there are females in the military, they are deployed in warzones, and even in support roles they occasionally wind up in combat. Of course guerrillas all over the world often use female fighters, and have for a long time--we have two guerrilla factions in the game. So there's every reason to have them ingame. I think the only reason they're not is because the developers simply didn't have the time to make separate weapon and combat animations for the females. And honestly, they've got more fundamental things to fix before adding all those female animations, if they ever do.

Years ago, the female civilians in OPF Resistance could use weapons. I'm sure, one way or another there will eventually be a mod or an official update that will allow armed females.

Alright; refined question then. Will there soon be a way to add a female character into the game as an addon - and if there already is, maybe someone can help me find it?

Ok first off I find that first line of text questioning whether they are sexist or not is very off key, just because there are no female soldiers available to play as does not make the creators sexist nor does it say that they don't want women to play the game.

If you're really keen on playing as a female I suggest that you go play the free games War Rock and Combat arms.

For THREE Reasons ONE You Get To Play As A Female And Two You're Not Going To Be Playing A Game Whose Creators you Question To Be Sexist And Thirdly It's Free.

YOU WIN THREE TIMES OVER

I'm not being rude I'm saying this in all honesty that I'm Being straight with you.

@Vampire

In my US Army unit addon I may add a female model in there when BIS releases the tools needed for editing. At the moment I cannot make the addon because of sections etc.

its not sexist, most gamers are male, especially action games, and making female animations and modeling takes to long and bis doesnt have enough time for it, im sure that modders will make something and actually most games have no playable female characters

Okay, I just fooled around in the editor to see what vehicles and weapons the female civies could use. (The first weird thing is when you control female character, she has a male voice.) Apparently, they can't drive any vehicle. They can sit in a passenger position in many vehicles, but they're positioned too low in the seat and their feet stick out the bottom, like in a Flintstones car.

They can't use any weapon, not even grenades, satchels, or mines. They can carry a small amount of ammo, just 2 magazines or one satchel.

What's weird is they can fire in the gunner seat in some vehicles, like the Humvees and LAV-25. Doesn't seem to work with every vehicle. To use a gunner position, the driver seat has to be empty first, then the female has to sit in a passenger slot, then she can move to the gunner slot. She can switch to a commander position too. A male can then be ordered into the driver position. The females' arms are straight down at their sides when they're gunning.

So their voices, animations and placements in vehicles are incomplete. Still, I'm just glad they're in the game at all, even if they're not completely functional yet. Sahrani was a very unnatural place with no women present.

If it makes you feel better, it is almost impossible to distinguish males and females when in full battle rattle

Choose a female voice, or put the pitch high, and bam, away you go

Yeah, I can't honestly say I support it unless it was done in a realistic manner, for example, if there would be female soldiers then sure, if not then not. But I think it would ruin atmosphere/authenticity and a serious "feel" if BI added female characters just to be politically correct. I love the addition of female civilians though: Sahrani's "sausage-fest" (if you'll excuse the vomit-inducing term lol) was disturbing, and Marian was shot.

I don't think they're in the [frontline] military though, so I wouldn't support it ... however ... I do plan to make some granny-SF missions =D

They had a female face in the original OFP(right?), a female voice in ArmA 1, I hoped ArmA 2 would have both. >.< Ah well.

I share your pain Vampy. =)

Kimmeh

Well, I just tried one single MP mission, but I remember a female voice in the OPFOR Russian camp for all HQ related radio messages? :rolleyes:

(I just remember because I was driving a jeep and tried to immagine the nice russian girl in uniform with that nice voice and.... BOOOM a tank shot my jeep :eek:)

But I agree with the thread starter. I'm living in Switzerland (but I'm german), and I know two (2!) girls who seriously want to join the swiss army in active duty in 2010 ^^, both are playing airsoft games with us guys and one of them showed interest in trying to play a PC game... maybe now that ArmA2 is out? ... xD. So yes, we need female soldiers in ArmA2, even if it's in MP only, and even if it's just for human players. :bounce3:

PS: people doubting players telling them that they are female should just stop believing in anything a person tells them over the net (immagine a girl not saying, you think it's a guy... do you cry "FAKE!!!!!" too?), and even if it's wrong, what the frack!? :cool:

Edited by soldier9945

If you put in a search on youtube you'll find lots of instances of women doing frontline duties. e.g:

I like the thought of girls being able to have girl characters :)