Sign in to follow this  
Mandalorian

Error creating Direct3D 9 Graphical Engine

Hi there,

after trying out everything i think i can do, i post this new Thread. Here´s my problem:

I have Vista 64 Bit Sp1, after installing Arma 2 i downloaded the newest Patch for it and installed the same. Everything worked fine i played the game for about 2 Hours. Then i Did the Windows Update and installed the new SP2 release for Windows Vista 64 Bit.

Now everytime i try to start Arma2 an Error Message occure : Error Creating Direct3D 9 Graphical Engine.

Allready installed the newest Nvidia Drivers and the DirectX Version from the Arma2 DVD but nothing seems to help. The game dont want to start anymore, allways showing up the same Error Message after a short Black Screen. I really dont understand why this can happen, i mean the game allready worked fine. If someone could aid me with this problem would be really fine, please, thx a lot.....

Edited by Mandalorian
Topic allready exists, added some more details in the New Thread

Off course, I Did, reinstall the game severall times and installed the patch too, again....

But it dont help....

Yesterday i tried out to deinstall the service pack 2 and installed the game and the patch again, but it dont want to run, the same Problem happens again and again.....

System:

Vista 64 Bit SP2

Intel Dual Core E6850 3,0 Ghz

Nvidia GTX 280

4GB Ram

Here is the detailed Error Message found in the arma2.RPT:

=====================================================================

== C:\Spiele\Armed Assault 2\arma2.exe

== "C:\Spiele\Armed Assault 2\arma2.exe"

=====================================================================

Exe timestamp: 2009/06/07 21:00:31

Current time: 2009/06/07 21:30:25

ErrorMessage: Error creating Direct3D 9 Graphical engine

SmallMemAlloc not free when destructed - SmallMemAlloc::ReleaseAll skipped.

Elem. size 24

Edited by Mandalorian

Those sort of errors are normaly to do with a bad install of textures etc or say youve done something to the folder structure somewhere.. (not that you have of course) If reinstalling did not fix it thats a pretty annoying situation for you :(

Everything is standard I take it on install no added mod folders or altered files in the main install etc.

Hmm, things gettin really strange....Ok that could be a possible reason for my problem. But the question is:

Arma 2 did run fine until i updated my Vista 64bit Sp1 to Vista 64bit Sp2, what kind of changes did SP2 to my Arma 2 Installation? Because it wont go anymore!

Finally i reinstalled SP2 after the deinstall of SP2. Now i deleted my Nvidia Drivers with Driver Cleaner Pro. Reinstalled DirectX from the Arma2 DVD, and reinstalled some older NvidiaDrivers (Newest allready tested, no changes)

Now i install Arma2 again and the patch...

Lets se what happens :j:

I could not believe it!!!!!!!!

It runs, it go´s it go´s :yay::yay::yay::bounce3:

Things i have done:

1: Reinstalled SP"

2: Cleaned Nvidia Driver with Driver Cleaner Pro

3: Used a special uninstaller Tool to really remove everything from the Arma2 installation

4: installed the DirectX Version from the Arma2 DVD

5:Installed the 182.08 Driver from Nvidia

6:Reinstalled Arma2 and the patch (And i never ever touched the PC in anyway during the Installation :D)

7: Happy about the finally runnig Arma 2 game.....

God, what a mess.....

Never touch a running System.....

Thx for help this far guys.....

Yeah i was reluctant to wipe my vista install for trying win7 out cause for a change i had it running like a dream was behaving etc, still im glad i did win7 is really pretty much fine regarding its still early for it..

I had the exactly the same issues on winxp 32 arma2 would not run got the same error, arma1 was installed and worked perfectly.

on the same drive I have win7 64 arma2 installed first time and runs well.

To get the issue fixed i had to re-install winxp 32 (only way for it to work for me) now everything is fine again.

Arma2 actually runs faster under win7 64 for me.

Southy

i've had lots of crash problems with arma2 and similarly before it with fallout3. i tried messing with ingame settings, reinstalling my nvidia drivers and using older drivers with no effect. then i read a post somewhere saying to go on my nvidia control panel and turn off v-sync and turn texture quality to highest performance. my crashes have dropped off dramatically, i still get 1 every few hours but it's a LOT better than it was =] i'm still using older 182.08 drivers though, i'm not sure if i want to chance putting them back to the latest in case it breaks it again =P

i was getting the same error..

im running Vista 64Bit

8800GTS 512

Nvidia driver v186.18

matrox triplehead 2 go with powerdesk v2.05.00.020

my desktop resolution was at 4320x900

i started the game and i get this "Error creating Direct3D 9 Graphical Engine"

messsage.

i changed my resolution to 1680x1050, and i was able to start...

im just worried that when i change to triplehead inside the game settings that i will again get this message...this happened to me in the demo, but i didnt recover...

i will assume to delete the USERNAME.ArmA2Profile file if this happens again, and to start the game again in a different desktop resolution...

WISH ME LUCK..THE GAME LOOKS ( i say again) LOOKS AWESOME

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 PM ----------

DAYMN IT...this Arma2 thing dosent like me setting it to 4320x900... WTF

i can run arma2 at 1680x1050, with out getting this daymn error...its popping up when i do triplehead..

HELP!

I have exactly the same problem after i Reverted back to an older Nvida driver.Now after countless uninstalls installs still no joy.Even after using driver cleaner and putting back on the current Nvidia drivers.Sigh this game is getting to be more trouble than it's worth methinks:(

Ok this worked for me.I didn't have to follow all of the previous suggested steps like messing with a reinstall of vista etc.All i did was to get rid of Nhancer and problem solved.

:headscratch:i couldn't run demo on my pc. same problem here.

i tired uninstall nhancer , vga driver and demo then reinstall them but doesn't work.i have been waiting for a long time to have this game.i was thinking about to buy this week :(

i was getting the same error..

im running Vista 64Bit

8800GTS 512

Nvidia driver v186.18

matrox triplehead 2 go with powerdesk v2.05.00.020

my desktop resolution was at 4320x900

i started the game and i get this "Error creating Direct3D 9 Graphical Engine"

messsage.

i changed my resolution to 1680x1050, and i was able to start...

im just worried that when i change to triplehead inside the game settings that i will again get this message...this happened to me in the demo, but i didnt recover...

i will assume to delete the USERNAME.ArmA2Profile file if this happens again, and to start the game again in a different desktop resolution...

WISH ME LUCK..THE GAME LOOKS ( i say again) LOOKS AWESOME

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 PM ----------

DAYMN IT...this Arma2 thing dosent like me setting it to 4320x900... WTF

i can run arma2 at 1680x1050, with out getting this daymn error...its popping up when i do triplehead..

HELP!

Edit the ArmA2.cfg file at C:\Users\Home\Documents\ArmA 2 to launch the game using 3840x1024 as resolution (i changed it to "read only" after doing it) and change in the game menu, video options, to run at 5040x1050 or 4320x900 - then play (as long as you keep the .cfg file as read only all you have to do is remember to set the res to 5040x1050 or 4320x900 each time you load up Arma 2).

Resolution_W=3840;
Resolution_H=1024;