Sign in to follow this  
sanis

3rd person view

I've watched some gameplay videos and I've seen that it's possible to play with 3rd person view. If this is supposed to be "realistic" game, how come it's possible to look over walls or around the corner even though your eyes and the whole body is behind that wall? The enemies can't see you but you can see them very clearly.

My suggestion is that the 3rd person view should be disabled, at least when you're not in a vehicle.

I agree with one point here, and that is it´s unfair in Multiplayer.

Otherwise I think it´s pretty cool and nice to be able to change the view for a while.

I dont know, up to BI mate! :)

Yea I was talking about MP. In SP you can "cheat" if you want, but in MP it's not fair for the other players.

It can be disabled server side.

Alot of clans do aswell as no cross-hairs etc

3rd person can already easily be disabled.

Too quick CK! :rolleyes:

imo, 3rd person view is good for mission editing.

I want it for that purpose. So theres no sense to remove it.

Also the servers can set 3rd person view of.

Theres no reason to moan about 3rd person view.

It can be disabled server side.

Alot of clans do aswell as no cross-hairs etc

OK then there's no problem :yay:

I sometimes wonder if people even bother looking at the difficulty settings menu, pretty much anything that helps you in any way can be turned off in it.

I sometimes wonder if people even bother looking at the difficulty settings menu, pretty much anything that helps you in any way can be turned off in it.

I sometimes wonder if people even realize that the game hasn't yet been released in every country. So it's kinda hard to look at the difficulty settings menu...

I think OFP DR actually got this right. I'd like 3rd person in mission editor and maybe even campaign. But too many public servers are actually allowing 3rd person. I say it should be disabled by force for multiplayer, especially for infantry. I wouldn't mind a limited 3rd person view for vehicles though, but not so that a tank can get full situational awareness without a commander like it can today. Only enough to obtain a little ekstra spatial awareness for good parking etc.

How does turning off crosshairs work in Arma2? It sucked in Arma1 since it also removed lock indicators. Personally I'd like to have this forced off as well, for personal weapons and launchers at least. People using floating zone could get som kind of aid, but not as accurate as it currently is. No aid for us without a floating zone (approximate center of screen should be accurate enough for 'from the hip' shooting). Maybe console players could get better aids, due to lack of speedy controls?

I use 3rd person because

1. It looks cool

2. Because I can

3. Driving - vehicle field of view is way to small

Besides, like ArmA1, you can turn it off along with the cross hair.

I sometimes wonder if people even realize that the game hasn't yet been released in every country. So it's kinda hard to look at the difficulty settings menu...

arma 1 has a difficulty settings menu and so does OFP.

I use 3rd person because

1. It looks cool

2. Because I can

3. Driving - vehicle field of view is way to small

Besides, like ArmA1, you can turn it off along with the cross hair.

You're missing the point.

1. Hardly an argument for a game that claims to be realistic.

2. It ruins if for me. If I'm behind you and see you look straight into a wall, I know you are in 3rd person mode looking above the wall which you shouldn't be able to do. So find it is clear and sprint in. I can now do the same. Ruins my experience.

3. If FOV is a problem the configs are to blame. I have no problem with FOV. Twisting your head should be good enough for regular driving. I'm using 3rd person as well sometimes in vehicles, but never for just getting from point A to point B. When it's active on a server, and I'm forced to drive a tank, I'm using 3rd person because I can, and I now also have better overview over the situation than the vehicle commander. I feel like such a cheat. Would be better if it was off by default for all infantry, and very limited in use for drivers. For better (but still limited) view than even this 3rd person mode, you should have to use the 'turn out' feature.

Unless something changed in Arma2, server acts as a decider, not as a limiter. And it's frustrating like hell being forced to play with crosshairs.

Join a server running on harder settings? They're usually not that populated.

Ever tried reversing a vehicle properly in 1st person without rear view mirrors? Thats why we have 3rd person.

EDIT: And to look at stuff for fun during long, boring drives/flights. ;)

I agree fully. I'd like a top down, just slightly forward looking direction that doesn't reveal anything as a 3rd person driver thing. Something that doesn't allow you to see enemy shooters more than 10 meters away from teh vehicle. A 3rd person mode that you can't alt-look with. So that spatial awareness is increased, but not situational awareness.

1. Hardly an argument for a game that claims to be realistic.

2. It ruins if for me. If I'm behind you and see you look straight into a wall, I know you are in 3rd person mode looking above the wall which you shouldn't be able to do. So find it is clear and sprint in. I can now do the same. Ruins my experience.

3. If FOV is a problem the configs are to blame. I have no problem with FOV. Twisting your head should be good enough for regular driving. I'm using 3rd person as well sometimes in vehicles, but never for just getting from point A to point B. When it's active on a server, and I'm forced to drive a tank, I'm using 3rd person because I can, and I now also have better overview over the situation than the vehicle commander. I feel like such a cheat. Would be better if it was off by default for all infantry, and very limited in use for drivers. For better (but still limited) view than even this 3rd person mode, you should have to use the 'turn out' feature.

TURN IT OFF

you can take of all your HUD and interface in OFP and ARMA so its most likely that you can in this, it's a personal preference thing for hardcore gamers, if you watch the interviews with ARMA 2 dev team there saying that this is aimed at the Hardcore "i like dieing when shot in the head" gamers but there trying to make it more accesible to new gamers like COD fanboys. IMO i think its a great addition if im idely running to an objective then i put 3rd person on and have a look around, but if im crawling up a ridge overlooking an enemy town i put it in 1st person so I can shoot just over the ridge and not have my whole body exposed.

It's personal preference :)

edit: also who the hell is reversing??? why?

Edited by benjellio

For those who want it disabled, I only say: DON'T USE IT. Stop asking to remove other people fun.

I like it a lot, it's nice, its ussefull, I can take screenshots etc. The advantage of using it its minimal, noone gain so much more by looking after the corner. You can do the same leaning.

I bet that some modders'll come up with an advanced 3rd person camera configuration, so you'll be able to change when it is possible to activate it and where it is not. For example you would be able only to use it in a vehicle (it wouldn't be as good as it is now) but not while on foot. Frankly that would fix many problems. :p

For a game that is praised for being extremely customizable, I don't understand why people here want this removed from the game. If you are concerned that someone is "cheating" by using their 3rd person view then find a server that has it disabled and play there. It's really that simple.

There are alot of other issues for the devs to devote their time to than trying to please the ultra hardcore players that feel the game should only be played one way.

also who the hell is reversing??? why?

In tight spaces, especially when driving trucks with large turn radius.

In any vehicle, when you didn't manage the turn and stopped in front of a rock or tree.

In a tank, if retreating, to keep main armor towards the enemy.

Complaining about the game for its wide spectrum of alternatives is kind of redundant, seeing as if there is something you personally do not like, you can simply turn it off. If you have such a problem with the 3rd person view, play on servers that have it turned off. If you don't like this and that... and you find out you are probably the only one with that select choice-set in settings... make your own server. :shoot:

What about a 3rd person view with "Fog of War" included : you could see the landscape fine, but all the "units" that you should not be able to see directly remain invisible (like on the map) ?

Ever tried reversing a vehicle properly in 1st person without rear view mirrors? Thats why we have 3rd person.

EDIT: And to look at stuff for fun during long, boring drives/flights. ;)

There was a mod that made you able to turn very far as the driver viewpoint. Just press Num_1/3 and you can see plenty fine to back up. Aircraft don't back up and I don't think heavy armor (M1A1 or similar) have mirrors.

That's why people can vote for Veteran or Expert difficulty.