Sign in to follow this  
kocrachon

Couple of things about Piracy and this game...

So I was reading on this forum as well as gamefaqs and steam forums, and there seems to be an issue with Piracy. Not that the piracy is running rampart, but i dont think people out there know about the FADE system or what it even does.

I have seen people who pirated the German version and use the english patch, and they are complaining about the game being horrible and having terrible ballistics and so forth and it being unstable. While I understand the FADE system is meant to be a deterrent system, what I see it more of doing is causing people to go onto other forums and trash talk the game, making people already second guess getting it, and go with OFP2 instead (which is a bad idea, console based game = cut content, but thats another topic dont spam that here).

Anyways, I feel like maybe the fade system is doing more harm than good to the reputation of ArmA.

I am also a little concerned with the HUGE difference in release dates for the game. I think this article explains my reason best.

A LOT of consumers right now, people on these forums, are pirating this game, as we speak, because they see everyone on here talking about it. We cant buy it, so whats the next best option? Pirate it and download the English patch. People dont want to wait another 30 days to download a game that people are all raving and talking about here.

Anyone else think that maybe a world wide launch may have been a bit... smoother?

Yeah I don't understand why the fade system doesn't just hmmm... I dunno, make the game impossible to play?

I agree. I guess if the game was bug free and solid this wouldnt be a problem. As it happens its going to be hard for people to see the wood for the trees.

I agree. I guess if the game was bug free and solid this wouldnt be a problem. As it happens its going to be hard for people to see the wood for the trees.

Or perhaps a giant message as you are starting up the game.. 'your copy of ArmA 2 has initialized FADE, your game will be screwed up in many ways! Either fix your legit copy of ArmA 2, or actually buy a legitimate copy!' That way people would at least know that their game is suppose to be screwed up.

I think that the original splash screen for OFP that mentioned FADE technology was good. Putting something like that in would allow those scurrilous dogs to at least know what is happening.

Would be a nice solution if BIS could add in some big text coming on your screen explaining this. "You dont have a legit copy and therefor your game will behave bad". Instead of just degrading where people will think the game is bad.

EDIT: Nuclear beat me to it. :)

Alex

72;1297483']Would be a nice solution if BIS could add in some big text coming on your screen explaining this. "You dont have a legit copy and therefor your game will behave bad". Instead of just degrading where people will think the game is bad.

EDIT: Nuclear beat me to it. :)

Alex

Haha beat both you and max to it, but we all had the same idea around the same time! Amazing! Great minds think alike, no?

Either way, there has to be some way to let people know that there game is screwed up purposely, rather than them just playing a buggy game.

You can't buy it? How did I buy it then? Pretty lame excuse there buddy.

Also, plenty of bugs without FADE trust me :)

With FADE, it is embedded into the game code, making it harder to deactivate without messing up the entire rest of the game. Not a lot of people are having problems with it, just about 10-20 people out of hundreds who bought the game, is not a lot. FADE, just makes a person not want to play the game. It starts off normally, then the game just FADE's away. Like the player dying randomly and turning into a bird, and unbelievably bad weapon spray. With any other game protection, it's not usually embedded into the games code, making it easier to crack and bypass. With ArmA 2, once FADE starts to really get bad, people just get sick of it and either stop player, or actually buy the game. I also can understand though, when people download a pirated version, only to test it and see if they would like it, before wasting away 50 dollars, the demo never shows the full potential of a game, because it's only a demo. Pirates might actually HELP a game company, people really like this game they pirated, "But, oh man! I can't play online! And I really like this game!" So they go out and buy it.

That's what I think about pirating games. You can look at it in many different ways that will actually help a company.

We know how the FADE works mate. Its just that people pirating this game also come on these boards plus all other boards/youtube and you name it saying the game sucks when in fact its their cracked copy that sucks, and not the game itself.

And that ...sucks.

Alex

72;1297496']We know how the FADE works mate. Its just that people pirating this game also come on these boards plus all other boards/youtube and you name it saying the game sucks when in fact its their cracked copy that sucks' date=' and not the game itself.

And that ...sucks.

Alex[/quote']

Yeah.. true to that... BIS should put a watermark whenever they play saying "You've been FADEd" plus what Nucluear and others already said to let them know that they have unlegit copy and should buy it

But less not forget a couple of the reasons for piracy.

1) To try it before you buy it.

2) Because they want it and cant get it.

A lot of people dont WANT to buy a german version and use an un-official patch to make it english, Vice Versa, they still want to play the game as earlier as possible so will go with said method until the english version is out.

I have 2 clan members who almost wont buy the game unless they get to play it first. They dont pirate, but they are disappointed at the lack of a demo this time around for ArmA 2.

Not only would it be nice for a world wide release, but a demo would have been nice for a few sceptics. My fellow clan members are skeptical at the AI command feature and a few of the bugs and would like to demo it first. Why no Demo this time around?

Ok, then just add a big red text in there screen that says "Warning: This Game May Not Be A Legitimate Copy, Please Contact Support. Until You Get A Legitimate Copy, The Game Will Be Altered In Unplayable Ways". Also like what Max Power had to say about mentioning it in a splash screen at startup. "This Game Is Protected By Anti-Pirate Software FADE"

Not only would it be nice for a world wide release, but a demo would have been nice for a few sceptics. My fellow clan members are skeptical at the AI command feature and a few of the bugs and would like to demo it first. Why no Demo this time around?

A demo does take time to make, it would delay the release further. I am sure they will put it in a demo at a later date.

Some times a demo is worth the time and money though. It helps generate revenue of skeptics and helps build up hype of people who never knew it existed. A demo is a great way to get the games name out, because people see the demo and be like "I never heard of this game, but hey, a demo is almost a free game!"

I think he makes a vaild point, it would be to the benefit of BI if there was some kind of indication that 'YOU STOLE THE GAME FELLA, GUESS WHAT?! S'NOT GONNA WORK!' so they know that the gaming experience they have on a warez copy of the game is not what they'd get if they bought it...

Either that or BI needs more of a PR effort to make it known that FADE is part of the ArmA II DRM plan making anyone criminally impatient and curious about the game aware that their bad experience with warze is part of the DRM -- bad PR is bad PR even if it comes from Pirates.

:butbut:

Ok, then just add a big red text in there screen that says "Warning: This Game May Not Be A Legitimate Copy, Please Contact Support. Until You Get A Legitimate Copy, The Game Will Be Altered In Unplayable Ways". Also like what Max Power had to say about mentioning it in a splash screen at startup. "This Game Is Protected By Anti-Pirate Software FADE"

Unfortunately telling the user if it's FADEd or not would make it too easy to crack.

fade is in the game code itself, its not a simple patch like most games that use DRM. FADE is a part of the engine itself. It would be such a burden to try to pirate it would almost not be worth it. It would take good hackers weeks to do it. And to be honest, the casual hacker wont take that much time for a game like ArmA, its not a part of the casual audience.

Unfortunately telling the user if it's FADEd or not would make it too easy to crack.

It's not like it tells them where it's at in the game code LOL. Just a simple text telling them there copy is not legitimate. It's not like tellign them "ok your copy is not legitimate, we'll make it easier for you to crack it, heres how:"

Also if you read my post earlier:

With FADE, it is embedded into the game code, making it harder to deactivate without messing up the entire rest of the game.

And this is from Codemasters themselves(The people who made FADE)

Codemasters' effective anti-piracy initiatives receive an additional push with the introduction of FADE a unique PC-based piracy protection system that can degrade gameplay if a counterfeit copy of the game is identified as being played.

Created for the early September launch of the mighty military simulator Operation Flashpoint, one of the most anticipated PC games of the year, Codemasters has equipped Operation Flashpoint with embedded coding that can recognise the difference between counterfeit and real copies of the game's CD.

If a pirate CD is identified, the game automatically disables key gaming features and instigates a number of subtle changes that adversely effect gameplay.

Anyone attempting to play an illegal copy of Operation Flashpoint will begin with a game that looks and plays just like the real thing. However, over a period of time, the game gradually self-modifies and degrades elements of play to a point where the game is no longer playable.

This system of anti-piracy not only puts off the pirates from duplicating the game CD but is also preventative in putting off people who would purchase a pirate copy from doing so. Indeed, no matter what a pirate may say, anyone considering getting an illegal version will not be convinced they'll get the fully-playable game.

The use of FADE will be displayed during game installation, saying "Original discs don't FADE, in order that players who experience problems will be aware that their CD is potentially an illegal copy.

The FADE system used in Operation Flashpoint is created using a combination of Codemasters' own technology and commercial products. The game will additionally be protected with secondary copy protection technology and use FADE as an additional tactic against counterfeiting. The concept of FADE is adapted from a similar system employed by Codemasters' PlayStation game LMA Manager 2001, which reduced the amount of pirated CDs in circulation and enhanced sales performance.

Comments John Hemingway, Codemasters' Development Director: "We continue to act against the trade of counterfeiting software with new and innovative systems. In addition to protection that attempts to prevent illegal duplication, we are building Operation Flashpoint to include FADE as a second level deterrent and I am confident we shall see this effort reflected in the additional sales performance of the game."

Codemasters launches the hotly-tipped Operation Flashpoint on PC CD-ROM in early September in North America.

I wonder if it still says that in ArmA 2 installation?

Edited by Nicholas

I think you misunderstood. That's not saying that FADE is doing its magic, it's just a note that FADE is present.

And this is from Codemasters themselves(The people who made FADE)

Placebo said, somewhere cant remember where, that regarding FADE:

Codemasters own the name and BI own the technology. Sounds familiar?

edit:

found it: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=73422&page=7

Quote from Placebo

CM own the name, Bohemia invented the technology, hmm sounds familiar that

Edited by Mr_Centipede

To be honest, I was almost going to torrent the German version + English patch so I can play early, and then buy a legit copy of the game later this month when it comes out. But right now there's no way I'm gonna do that and have a ruined experience.

Edited by Amuro

It's not like it tells them where it's at in the game code LOL. Just a simple text telling them there copy is not legitimate. It's not like tellign them "ok your copy is not legitimate, we'll make it easier for you to crack it, heres how:"

One point of FADE is that the person who cracks it will launch the game for a test, see its working and then release the crack - without noticing the effects of FADE until it's too late.

If there was a message, they would know they have some work to do before releasing the crack.

Although actually removing FADE would possibly introduce other problems like crashes.

Placebo said, somewhere cant remember where, that regarding FADE:

Codemasters own the name and BI own the technology. Sounds familiar?

Yup, BIS made it. They probably just call it something else now. Maybe Pohasínat. :D

(online translation FTW)

So I was reading on this forum as well as gamefaqs and steam forums, and there seems to be an issue with Piracy. Not that the piracy is running rampart, but i dont think people out there know about the FADE system or what it even does.

I have seen people who pirated the German version and use the english patch, and they are complaining about the game being horrible and having terrible ballistics and so forth and it being unstable. While I understand the FADE system is meant to be a deterrent system, what I see it more of doing is causing people to go onto other forums and trash talk the game, making people already second guess getting it, and go with OFP2 instead (which is a bad idea, console based game = cut content, but thats another topic dont spam that here).

Anyways, I feel like maybe the fade system is doing more harm than good to the reputation of ArmA.

I am also a little concerned with the HUGE difference in release dates for the game. I think this article explains my reason best.

A LOT of consumers right now, people on these forums, are pirating this game, as we speak, because they see everyone on here talking about it. We cant buy it, so whats the next best option? Pirate it and download the English patch. People dont want to wait another 30 days to download a game that people are all raving and talking about here.

Anyone else think that maybe a world wide launch may have been a bit... smoother?

Spot on imo, as is the article you linked, but for Arma II, the damage has been done. I want this game to take off, but I find myself on the back foot so to speak when I talk about it on any forums, thats all the proof I need that they screwed the launch. Oh wells. At least it's creeping up the best sellers list on steam.