gimpymoo

ARMA2 & OA's Steam Thread: All Steam Q's/discussions go here [covered by Dwarden]

Can anyone please confirm if the UK STEAM release date may change from the 30th to the 19th as to match the retail date?

I have pre-ordered yet I am having to wait nearly 2 weeks longer than my friends who have pre-ordered Retail and even longer still for those who have the German version.

Also, any word from BIS if BETA patches etc will be installable over the STEAM version?

Many Thanks

James.

I am desperate to play this game, if you need any BETA testers for the STEAM version, I would be delighted to :)

Edited by Dwarden

That will be $50US. Thats later than the EU/505 version.

Hmm you may be right, I was wondering why it was late on release, regardless Steam is always cheaper than Aussie game retailers.

Right now it converts to $61.70, EB has it up for $100 AUD.

Yes my understanding is that Steam US/UK is June 30th and not before.

For a whole lot of reasons - many posted here on the forums and other unposted - I'd finally decided a week or two ago that I was NOT going to get ArmA2 or even bother with it at all. If it is in fact going to be distributed comprehensively, or at least in the US on Steam, then that's sufficient to make me reconsider that decision, because that demonstrates some beginnings of long-overdue policy changes.

I'm very happy for you :)

Yes my understanding is that Steam US/UK is June 30th and not before.

What is the reason for delaying the UK release as STEAM can do regional specific launches so I see no reason why it cant be launched on STEAM in the UK on the 19th, disappointing I have to wait nearly 2 weeks :(

It is more to do with 505 Games being worried they will loose launch day sales?

Do 505 games have anything to do with the STEAM release?

Thanks.

ARMA 2 is currently on the Steam Top-Sellers list as of June 2nd. :yay:

I didn't really see anyone else talking about this so I thought I would post it.

I see it as a big deal! I will be ordering my pre-order off steam shortly!

Congrats BIS!

Please Delete if this is a stupid n00b repost. :confused:

the problem is that we will get a lot more bitching and moaning if BI fail to fix the game in time(which is very likely)

Why does it still cost 47,99 €? I mean, I don't get any cool box or a manual or anything...Thats disappointing, I thought about buying the game online to save some money but this is even more expensive than the game in stores when you compared the stuff you get. :bored:

well, because it is steam! and steam are always sucking your money as much as possible

On that note... Steam shows MetaCritic reviews for all games on the service. I was afraid that some of the European reviews on metacritic would have lower reviews since they will have the earlier unpatched copies, and this in turn would drive away potential buyers of a (hopefully) patched steam world release version of ARMA2.

Hopefully the UK gaming press is smart enough to realize the awesomeness of arma2.

Hi all

Wow an unreleased game is number 7 in the Steam Top Sellers Chart.

http://store.steampowered.com/

Well spotted Bergotronic.

Kind Regards walker

well Killing Floor was top1 ... so there is still higher place to reach :)

Why does it still cost 47,99 €? I mean, I don't get any cool box or a manual or anything...Thats disappointing, I thought about buying the game online to save some money but this is even more expensive than the game in stores when you compared the stuff you get. :bored:

Yes its a shame really. Couple months ago Steam made Dollars into Euros 1:1 so any advantage was lost. Why buy a game on Steam if you can buy it retail at €39,99? I thought originally idea of Steam was to make games cheaper due lack of publisher... :j: maybe i'm wrong.

I reckon it's the whole $=€ prank Valve is pulling, ArmA2 is $49.99/47.99€ depending on where you're located, pretty gross.

Yes its a shame really. Couple months ago Steam made Dollars into Euros 1:1 so any advantage was lost. Why buy a game on Steam if you can buy it retail at €39,99? I thought originally idea of Steam was to make games cheaper due lack of publisher... :j: maybe i'm wrong.

Agreed, less is more doesn't apply to games imho.

well, because it is steam! and steam are always sucking your money as much as possible

Steam stated many times, they do not decide the price, the publisher does. So if you encounter the 1:1 ration with euro/dollar, it's not steam's fault, it's the publishers that decided it was a good idea. Though whenever I travel to europe, I tend to see games that are 1:1 ratio same price in game stores versus game stores here.

The "stuff you get" is a box. :butbut:

As for a manual, you can already get those online, so no loss there.

And you may be forgetting shipping cost, so while the price may not be lower than the UK version, it's certainly not out of the question to high ether & in some cases when you factor in shipping cost, it's cheaper.

Steam gives you some other things as well, check out this post by Hoak;

Steam offers a built in integrated CRC checker that lets you check the integrity of your entire game installation (Properties >>> Local Files >>> Verify the integrity of game cache) that also solves a lot of headaches before they happen (corrupt, missing or infected file) which can resolve a lot of issues, or at least take one more step out of any trouble-shooting scenario.

In my steam it says £29.99 thats normal Shop price in the UK for a good PC game lol.

Yeup, apparently the price has just been lowered on steam! Good news!

No, it hasn't, UK and US get the cheap deal, while rest of the EU get the ripoff price.

US: $49,99 (35,10€)

UK: £29.99 (34,60€)

Europe: 47.99€ (£40,60 / $66,90)

:j:

As mentioned above, Steam does not dictate the selling price. That is the decision of the publisher. Publishers also have to keep in mind their retail outlets (best buy, walmart, gamestop, etc.) as they don't want to undercut the prices to them and piss them off. So they just match what the brick and mortor stores selling price. I am waiting to see if there will be a retail (hardcopy) version released in the US, if not then I will be pre-ordering it on Steam in the next couple weeks. I've never had any issues with Steam, but with a game like ArmA 2 I would prefer a hardcopy version.

Hi Sniperwolf572

Currency fluctuations make assessing prices like that pointless, check back in a week and will have all changed.

You think that is bad, try having thousands in a multi-currency business accounts over the last year. The relative value of our money has devalued by 25% then rose 50% then back down again, then up, then down, etc.

Commodity price fluctuations are impossible to predict; ditto currency fluctuations, in the end all you do is take a punt and if companies like BA and Ryan Air get caught out by it and Virgin guess it right you can see how hard it is to guess right.

So you just buy the game and take your chances.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker