Sign in to follow this  
Obroa

UAV guide ?

Hey All

ok, I have had a shot at controlling the UAV... but if someone could explain how you use this lol.

It banks every 2 seconds and I find impossible to get information from it that I can understand quickly.. probably me and my old brain mind you :)

If anyone has any tips I would really appreciate it.

cheers all

AFAIK, the UAV can only use the rectancular search pattern you see in the campaign, which is a shame as it would be nice to be able to make waypoints for it on the map screen. I also have trouble seeing anything because it keeps turning all the time. One way to avoid this atleast for a few mins is to wait till the UAV starts to fly to the direction you want and use the PageUp key to set it's altitude to something like 2000m. While it's climbing it remains on it's current heading, ignoring the waypoints.

Yep, it needs either a larger circuit, or a ground stabilizing sight. As is, it's like trying to use a telephoto camera lens while riding a bucking horse.

cheers guys for the help.. yep, can alter its flight path by entering map view. And q and z will speek up and down but.. still a tad useless lol

Are you suggesting UAVs can be only programmed to patrol and can't be piloted in real time from the ground?

BTW, waypoints are the most basic thing for an autopilot, I can't believe there's no such thing.

You can set a waypoint for the UAV but the turret camera at this time is not really usuable. It really needs a gyroscopic turret cos the banking of the craft makes it highly unsuable (lol try using the laser sight :) )

@axure: Actually a wing leveller is about the most basic thing for an autopilot, then advancing to a heading hold function which is prone to gyroscopic precession causing that heading to change over time. Autopilot for waypoints is actually quite complex.

Rectangular search pattern? Ouch, that sounds quite limiting. But it's a start nontheless and will likely be improved by modders if not officially.

I'd wish the slightly easier HuntIR was also implemented as standard equipment.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

Can somebody help me set up a UAV?? I got the MQ-9, set to FLy. I got the UAV Logic, and I got the UAV Terminal, now What do I do and how I am supposed to link them so they work together?

Just little OT but on the matter of UAV's.

I saw the UAV have FLIR and it looked good to me. but i heard the zoom was kinda close in (not able to move it far out) and therefor it was easy to loose targets as the UAV is turning etc. A longer range of zoom would help a lot for that im sure. As you can easily see landmarks etc from further away.

Number 2: Can the UAV lock camera to vehicles/ground? Thaught i heard "no", but i think they can in RL. Pretty sure but not 100. Would be much easier to count units, identify things without having the camera swooshing by and changing view as the UAV moves.

Maybe you can lock and maybe the zoom goes out far enough. But my info i got is what i wrote, and if that is true - please BIS look into it for a later patch. would be very nice to have a UAV that is perfect for what its designed for. :) But i hear its great so just get it easier to spot with.

Alex

How can I destroy targets with the UAV? Hellfire missiles fire but I never see them and I don't know where they are going. Laser marker doesn't do anything for me.

Unless we can map the waypoints better, lock a position of the camera, set altitude, and speed its pretty useless in missions.

MANDO WE NEED YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Unless we can map the waypoints better, lock a position of the camera, set altitude, and speed its pretty useless in missions.

MANDO WE NEED YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Even if we could change the waypoints etc., what value does the UAV provide? How would I use it to gain an advantage?

I used it in the mission where I am tracking down the traitor but it doesn't show anything of value as it circles around.

I think the view has been stabilized a little in one of the patches but I could be wrong. I don't think it needs stablizing anymore than it is now, it just needs to fly al lot higher by default and have wider flight pattern. Also when you fire the laser designator the camera should lock on that spot. I would like to be able to chose set the altitude, speed and perhaps select different flight patterns.

To fire Hellfires you want to make sure you have the Box+Circle present which is the Designation Box and the Lock Circle. The Hellfires can only lock in a 30 degree wide or so cone forward so the aircraft has to be pointing at the target more or less. Shooting with only a box around the target means no-lock and the missile will fly straight and dumb.

Ground stabilization would be awesome. I'm pretty sure the real things have a laser rangefinder and "hands off" can be made to point at a single point on the ground even if the craft is flying around it.

Be aware that Nose Up and Nose Down set speed which doesn't seem to do jack diddly. Climbing does give the most stabilize profile but of course you're getting farther away from what you're looking for. 700m is a lot easier to look around than 300m though.

can anyone list the controls to adjust speed, altitude, etc? Also, it says press RMB to exit; but it won't for me (I've remapped my controls and changed the RMB). Once I use it I'm stuck unless it crashes or I revert and don't use it

I agree with mrcash .... we need Mandoble's magic. He's nowhere to be seen !

Maybe he's locked himself in room until his bomb and missile scripts are complete!

NoName, it's Nose Up and Nose Down for speed setting. Increase Thrust and Decrease Thrust (default Q Z) are altitude set. The exit is programmed to be whatever "Backspace" is when you back through the interface menus.

How can I destroy targets with the UAV? Hellfire missiles fire but I never see them and I don't know where they are going. Laser marker doesn't do anything for me.

same problem here. How to fire and hit with the UAV?

You need a designated and locked target with the hellfire missiles. The laser designator is for designating for laserScanner=true vehicles which the UAV is not.

You need a designated and locked target with the hellfire missiles. The laser designator is for designating for laserScanner=true vehicles which the UAV is not.

And how do I lock a target or tell the pilot to lock it?

For targets that are red dots on the radar and are in the forward 60 deg x 30 deg cone in front of the UAV. You can step through the available target designations using "Next Target" which is default tab. If the target is not red or is to the side or behind the UAV you're out of luck for the moment.

Once you designate a target a box will appear around it. You then have to get the UAV to turn to face the target enough that the Hellfire is in angular launch parameters at which time the lock circle will appear along with the box.

Then fire.

Ground stabilizer and more zoom would be very nice for the UAV. Scratch "nice to have" - we need it. Also longer draw distance in the game itself. Now you get within firing range of vehicles if you want to see them resulting in they know your there and they shoot you down.

Also remove the UAV's weapons will make it obey you. With weapons it will turn and turn and not listen to your input.

Also i cant get it to work in MP. I can use it, but no one else. Even if they take the leader slot where i synched it to. Saw someone said it IS possible though. Maybe i just have to learn "how to".

Alex