Sign in to follow this  
Guest RKSL-Rock

Creating new Factions

Guest RKSL-Rock

Not exactly a mission editing question but since we don't have other forums yet i'll ask here.

We are obviously going to port addons over to ArmA2. Like a lot of none US related mods I don't want to but them under USMC faction.

I've been going through all the available info and i haven't found the answer yet so does anyone know if or how we can create a new faction?

Adding a new one to the config should work I guess:

class CfgFactionClasses
{
class USMC
{
displayName = "$STR_DN_USMC";
priority = 1;
side = 1;
};
class CDF
{
displayName = "$STR_DN_CDF";
priority = 2;
side = 1;
};
class RU
{
displayName = "$STR_DN_RU";
priority = 3;
side = 0;
};
class INS
{
displayName = "$STR_DN_INS";
priority = 4;
side = 0;
};
class GUE
{
displayName = "$STR_DN_GUE";
priority = 5;
side = 2;
};
class CIV
{
displayName = "$STR_DN_CHERNARUS";
priority = 6;
side = 3;
};
class CIV_RU
{
displayName = "$STR_DN_RU";
priority = 7;
side = 3;
};
};[/Code]

Guest RKSL-Rock
Adding a new one to the config should work I guess:

Fantastic, thanks a lot! Out of curiosity where was that? Which file?

Guest RKSL-Rock
Ca/config

Cheers. I must have been blind to miss that :D

It would nice when an Dev can tell for what the priority parameter stands for !

Ok, it's an counting list, but there could be a little problem when two addons use the same priority ?!

In any case the community have to set standards before any addon/mod use them, otherwise a lot of incompatilities standing for our doors. :rolleyes:

Maybe a list in a own Forum thread (or in the Biki) would help who has defined which priority for which side and fraction.

The Dev questions are:

- are the 'priority list' able to work with gaps ?

- are floating values work ?

I assume priority handles the order of the factions in the editor factions list. If the priority is the same the first faction that occured with that priority is probably set before the other one. So I wouldnt waste much attention on that.

I forsee a problem with multiple mods trying to create the same faction? Shouldn't someone, say, create one unique addon that will add various factions to the list?

I forsee a problem with multiple mods trying to create the same faction? Shouldn't someone, say, create one unique addon that will add various factions to the list?

Yes, it would be best to introduce some standards for this before everyone adds their own addons. The names should have proper capitalization and the same priority cause i dont feel like having 5 different US Army factions. :D

Guest RKSL-Rock

Messiah, Chris and I discussed this a little while ago. We agreed (i think) on publishing a standard setup. So for British Forces we have a (public) global title that anyone can use with the (private) mod groups underneath it. eg:

• UK Armed Forces
    • British Army (UKF)
    • British Army Utility (RKSL)
    • Royal Air Force(RKSL)
    • Royal Navy (RKSL)
    • Royal Marines (UKF)

So each mod team retains their own class but under a common faction.

Code sample below:

class CfgFactionClasses
{
class UK_ARMED_FORCES
{
 displayName = "UK Armed Forces";
 priority = 8;
 side = 1;
};
};
class CfgVehicleClasses
{
class RKSL_RAF_Air
{
	displayName = "Royal Air Force (RKSL)";
};	
};

If other could do the same with other factions that might ease the problem.eg

• US Forces
    • US Army (ACE)
    • US Army (JGR)
    • US Air Force(RKSL)
    • US Navy (CBF)
    • USMC (Not really needed obviously)

It would certainly make it easier finding addons in the mission editor.

There's already a somewhat semi-official standard for naming, the 3-letter acronym. For example, all our addons will be labeled "JTD". We're listed someplace with that acronym, but I cannot remember where that list is.

Sounds great Rock, seems like a good solution to me. Very straight forward and easy to use.

the faction, how would that be implemented? I mean, if we were to both define it in one of our configs, would there not be some sort of error, or will it waddle on happy enough?

Guest RKSL-Rock
Sounds great Rock, seems like a good solution to me. Very straight forward and easy to use.

the faction, how would that be implemented? I mean, if we were to both define it in one of our configs, would there not be some sort of error, or will it waddle on happy enough?

Well as long as people use the same class name for the Faction then its no problem. It will work just update (or negate) the pre-existing class.

eg: If you have a UKF addon and RKSL addon that both contain the following they will both appear in the ""UK Armed Forces" Faction under what ever vehicle class you choose to use.

class CfgFactionClasses
{
class UK_ARMED_FORCES
{
 displayName = "UK Armed Forces";
 priority = 8;
 side = 1;
};
};

If one uses a different class but the same display name then you will have two "UK Armed Forces" factions listed.

As long as you add the code above to your own configs they will appear in the correct faction. After that you can use whatever you want for CfgVehicleClasses.

Hello, I want to create a Faction for Arma 3. Arma 3 have a guerilla named FIA in the game and it is linked to Bluefor. With an addon, The versions available for Opfor and Independents have been changed so them are not private anymore and now them are available.

But I would like to have FIA as a totally diferent faction.

Where is that CA/config file in arma 3?

By the way... where is it in arma 2? i haven't seen it.

Also, to be sure you understand what i want to do, is to have at the game lobby the option to Select BLUFOR, OPFOR, INDEPENDETS, CIVILIANS and FIA.

ttkb.png