Sign in to follow this  
headspace

ArmA 2's Artillery Module

So here's the scoop:

I'm trying to set up a direct fire mission, and have a script put together as follows

_myBattery = _this select 0
_targetUnit = _this select 1

_WPBarrage = [“IMMEDIATEâ€, “WPâ€, 1, 10];

_targetPos = getPosASL _targetUnit;

[_myBattery, _targetPos, _WPBarrage] call BIS_ARTY_F_ExecuteTemplateMission;

hint format ["%1, %2, %3",_Targetpos, _myBattery, _targetUnit]

Exit

In game I have a vehicle that I am using as the target referenced _targetUnit

An artillery game logic referenced _myBattery, which is synched to the group leader of four US mortars with the WP magazine added

and the whole thing is triggered by a radio trigger.

And it doesn't work :confused:

Any ideas? It's my first script since the old OFP days so things may be rusty

EDIT: On top of that, if I use the line:

[["artillery_barrage"], player, [[_myBattery, [3]]]] call BIS_SOM_addSupportRequestFunc;

(where _myBattery references the leader of the mortar team, not the game logic) (tried that and it didn't work), it tells me the location is outside the firing envelope no matter where I click on the map.

Edited by DaveP
  • Like 1

DaveP: The script looks fine but your target may not be in range. How far away is it?

EDIT: You need to reference the Artillery Module game logic.

Edited by Headspace

DaveP: The script looks fine but your target may not be in range. How far away is it?

I've tried within 500m, I've tried a km away; I've tried distances that the system lets me target using the manual aiming system, but for some reason the AI is playing dumb on it.

(Of course, all this said, the Game logic system is a great idea and the effects are great, especially for the WP rounds)

EDIT: It seems the only solace I have is using the virtual artillery system generated by SOM

[["artillery_barrage"], player, [[]]] call BIS_SOM_addSupportRequestFunc;

It works perfectly. Not exactly what I'm after, though.

Edited by DaveP

(where _myBattery references the leader of the mortar team, not the game logic)

Just noticed this. You have to reference the Artillery Module game logic.

Try this, too:

[["artillery_barrage"], player, [[_myBattery, [1,3,4,7,8,9]]]] call BIS_SOM_addSupportRequestFunc;

That will let you use the SOM method with your battery.

Could somebody please post a simple mission with arty that can be opened in the editor. Despite the documentation Im unable to get it to work.

Could somebody please post a simple mission with arty that can be opened in the editor. Despite the documentation Im unable to get it to work.

I 2nd that :S

Just noticed this. You have to reference the Artillery Module game logic.

Aye, I had it referencing the game logic in the script originally; I just need to remember to use different names for stuff when I'm using it in different places, lazy me :rolleyes:

Headspace,

Could you please post a mission showing us how to use at least virtual artillery?I have tried to use it as your tutorial but i cant make it!

Headspace,

Could you please post a mission showing us how to use at least virtual artillery?I have tried to use it as your tutorial but i cant make it!

Using Virtual Artillery through SOM is easy, just make a trigger with a few seconds to activate (to make sure it activates after the SOM package) and then on activation put in:

Then just set up SecOps the usual way (make the Secondary Ops GL, then sync it to the player)

and that's it! Contact SecOps and you'll have one artillery strike available

@Dave P

Hi Mate can you explain a little more in detail please mate

Many thanks in advance

Make a player unit

Make the SOM Game Logic Unit, synch that to the player

Make a trigger that's activated by Radio Alpha and set to be repeatable (if you want multiple strikes available), then in the on activation field of the trigger put in:

Then when you want the artillery, go to the map and trigger radio alpha, then use the communication commands to contact SecOps and request the support

DaveP,

Thanks for the info,for me it worked,but it would be very usefull if sometime we could have a mission(tutorial) with virtual and real artillery explained!!! i was wondering can AI have artillery support? :)

DaveP,

Thanks for the info,for me it worked,but it would be very usefull if sometime we could have a mission(tutorial) with virtual and real artillery explained!!! i was wondering can AI have artillery support? :)

You could set up triggered fire missions, I think the counterattack sp mission does this; as to them using it on the fly, I believe there was a script package for Arma or OFP that simulated this, can't remember.

@DaveP

Many thanks for that mate most appreciated!

Man this just gets better and better every minute

Couple of questions:

Has anyone managed to make the arty module work with rocket launcher artillery yet? I tried replacing the ammo but Grads and MLRSses won't even budge when I try to initiate a fire mission. Mortars work just fine.

Is there a way to add more dispersion besides fudging up the target coordinates themselves?

Couple of questions:

Has anyone managed to make the arty module work with rocket launcher artillery yet? I tried replacing the ammo but Grads and MLRSses won't even budge when I try to initiate a fire mission. Mortars work just fine.

Main thing I've noticed about the rocket launchers is they have a really long minimum range, could be why.

I tried rewriting my script again today, no dice yet again :confused:

Some demo missions are now located at http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Artillery_Module#Example_Missions. This should answer (most) of the questions that have come up, and are within the scope of the biki documentation.

Excellent Work!

So, you think BIS Arty is "close" to CoC Unified Artillery?

Do you think i can be modified in future?

thanks!

Thanks Headspace! And yes, I have to agree mr.g-c this reminds me of CoC Unified Artillery. Pretty similar with radio commands etc etc.

So, you think BIS Arty is "close" to CoC Unified Artillery?

That's a loaded question...no pun intended. But I'm not sure what you mean by "close." Obviously the Artillery Module was meant to be different than CoC:UA in many aspects. While I am sure it shares some features by virtue of being about the same thing, there are bound to be major differences.

Keep in mind also that I haven't actually ever played CoC:UA.

That's a loaded question...no pun intended. But I'm not sure what you mean by "close." Obviously the Artillery Module was meant to be different than CoC:UA in many aspects. While I am sure it shares some features by virtue of being about the same thing, there are bound to be major differences.

Keep in mind also that I haven't actually ever played CoC:UA.

The major similarities are due to a mix of the strive for realism, and the complexities involved.

Both systems use similar radio commands, as I assume that this is the standard parlance for requesting this form of fire support

Both systems have the same ammo available, as these are the most common forms of artillery support

Both systems have similar Artillery Pieces available, because an MLRS is kickin rad :rolleyes:

Both systems require a short period before engaging firing with physical artillery, because it's not that easy to calculate it all that quickly.

This system most definitely improves upon it though, mainly with the player controlled aim system; that's going to be bloody great for PVE/PVP Tac Coop Groups

Edited by DaveP

Has anybody figured out how to setup AI controlled ARTY without the SOM?

If so, could that someone post a simple example missions?

I am unable to get it to work, and the examples in the biki use SOM, too. This actually works fine, it is just not what I want to have.

On the other hand, is there a way to disable the SecOps in the SOM so one would just have the support options available?

Thanks.

Make 2-3 MLRS, sync them with arty module. Make a trigger with "on activation":

[group m1, getPosASL a1, ["IMMEDIATE", "HE", 1, 10]] call BIS_ARTY_F_ExecuteTemplateMission;

m1 - leader of mlrs battery; a1 - target unit.

Mission Type: “IMMEDIATE†or “TIMEDâ€

The IMMEDIATE mission type will complete after a requested number of rounds have been fired.

The TIMED mission type will complete after a specific number of seconds have elapsed.

Ordnance Type: This is a string indicating the general type of ordnance to fire. Ordnance types are defined either by default or by calling the BIS_ARTY_F_AddOrdnanceType function. For each type of artillery, there are one or more ordnance types. Common default ordnance types include:

“HE†- High Explosive

“WP†- White Phosphorous (“Willie Peteâ€)

“SADARM†- Search and Destroy Armor

“LASER†- Laser guided artillery shell

“ILLUM†- Flares

“SMOKE†- Non-Incendiary Smoke

Rate of Fire: The delay, in seconds, between each shot. This delay will be applied globally throughout the entire battery. For example, if gun 1 fires, there will be a delay between that event and when gun 2 fires (and so on).

Duration of Mission OR Round Count: This depends on the mission type. This value is used as follows:

For IMMEDIATE missions, the number of rounds to fire.

For TIMED missions, the number of seconds to sustain fire.

PS: I have a problems with GRAD, it crew geting damage after fire, and get out from arty. I placed it in many directions, but crew are still dying

PSS: Sorry for my english. :)

Edited by MiXeR

Well, thank you very much, Mixer!!!

I have attached a sample mission to my last post in this toipic at OFPEC:

http://www.ofpec.com/forum/index.php?topic=33437.0

My problem was that I tried to use the arty-module itself and the lead unit as the first variable, but not the group.

I think the biki documentation is unclear about this (or maybe I am unable to read it the right way).