Sign in to follow this  
fjaekel

graphics bugs with ATI 4800 series (4850/4870/4890)

It is not hotter at all. Having had a 4870X2 x2, so Quadfire, thats hot, nothing will ever be hotter than a 4870x2...and having 260GTXX2 ,4970, they are much hotter than any 7XXX series card...A 7950 is twice as fast as a 4970. And has all the best filters.

yeah, compared with 40nm two-chip monsters, 79xx are cuties ;)

I found a solution of "triangle-texture" trouble on my HD 4870 with 512MB.

Hardware: Core2Duo E8400 @3GHz, 8GB memory (3.5GB visible), ATI HD 4870 with 512MB (localVRAM=536870912, 512M).

Software: XP SP3 32bit, A2CO 1.62 with latest beta patch.

Reason (I think): bad "nonlocalVRAM" value detection.

How to repeat: fly with a plane over the Chernarus big cities from one to another.

Solution: install Catalyst 10.4 driver and boot at least 1 time with pagefile >= 512MB.

How to bring the problem back: reinstall the Catalyst 10.4 driver with disabled pagefile or install any other version with any size pagefile (in fact I tested only these driver versions: 8.10, 9.8, 10.3, 10.5, 10.12, 11.1, 12.4, 12.6).

Full description is under

Any Catalyst versions gave me nonlocalVRAM=257294336 (245.375 M). I tried very many suggested solutions but only one (accidentally found) gave positive result. Catalyst 10.4 driver and big pagefile gave nonlocalVRAM=525729792 (501.375 M) and I couldn't repeat the bug. After that I disabled pagefile but the bug wasn't back (further research showed HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{xxxx-xxx-xxxxxx}\0000\ATILKGSysConfig which is used by driver to store some unknown settings).

So you can install driver, enable pagefile, reboot, disable pagefile and the bug never appears.

Requirement 1: the pagefile must exist during boot - only then the driver writes right value to registry. Before I used pagefile that had been created every boot in user mode on hidden memory RAM disk. Such pagefile doesn't affect driver behavior.

Requirement 2: I think successful pagefile size must be >= video memory size. I tested smaller sizes and they failed.

Could anyone test my solution please? I want to report the bug to BIS or even to AMD if it need.

Edited by Dystopian1

I found a solution of "triangle-texture" trouble on my HD 4870 with 512MB.

Hardware: Core2Duo E8400 @3GHz, 8GB memory (3.5GB visible), ATI HD 4870 with 512MB (localVRAM=536870912, 512M).

Software: XP SP3 32bit, A2CO 1.62 with latest beta patch.

Reason (I think): bad "nonlocalVRAM" value detection.

How to repeat: fly with a plane over the Chernarus big cities from one to another.

Solution: install Catalyst 10.4 driver and boot at least 1 time with pagefile >= 512MB.

How to bring the problem back: reinstall the Catalyst 10.4 driver with disabled pagefile or install any other version with any size pagefile (in fact I tested only these driver versions: 8.10, 9.8, 10.3, 10.5, 10.12, 11.1, 12.4, 12.6).

Full description is under

Any Catalyst versions gave me nonlocalVRAM=257294336 (245.375 M). I tried very many suggested solutions but only one (accidentally found) gave positive result. Catalyst 10.4 driver and big pagefile gave nonlocalVRAM=525729792 (501.375 M) and I couldn't repeat the bug. After that I disabled pagefile but the bug wasn't back (further research showed HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{xxxx-xxx-xxxxxx}\0000\ATILKGSysConfig which is used by driver to store some unknown settings).

So you can install driver, enable pagefile, reboot, disable pagefile and the bug never appears.

Requirement 1: the pagefile must exist during boot - only then the driver writes right value to registry. Before I used pagefile that had been created every boot in user mode on hidden memory RAM disk. Such pagefile doesn't affect driver behavior.

Requirement 2: I think successful pagefile size must be >= video memory size. I tested smaller sizes and they failed.

Could anyone test my solution please? I want to report the bug to BIS or even to AMD if it need.

Tried loads of different things on my sons PC and the only way to delay the issue is to go into the BIOS and increase the AGP Aperture to its maximum then that delays the problem. Please note that this is the only game that gets this issue, its the only one that still has it since A2's release, obviously AGP is dated and I won't be buying a copy for my sons PC as it doesn't work which is a single lost sale. Works a treat on my PC but hey ho.