Sign in to follow this  
Ackart

ArmA 2 Ingame: Sound Issues with Dolby Digital Live encoding

Greetings,

So, I seem to have been lucky and escape most issues with actually getting ArmA 2 and installing it. Game plays wonderfully with no real graphical issues. However there is one major problem and that is any sound that is not gunfire has the distinct tones of a monkey destroying a turntable. It's an unpleasant screeching, distorted sound that is, frankly, terrible. Sounds return to normal after disabling Dolby Digital Live, however this also prevents me from using Surround Sound with ArmA 2.

My system specifications are:

Windows 7 x64 RC1

Creative SB XFI Titanium

Intel Core2Quad Q8200@2.33GHZ

4GB Memory

GeForce 9800GT

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Edit! I've found a workaround for people that encounter the same issue.

If your receiver will support it, change your encoder from Dolby Digital Live to DTS Connect. This cleared up my audio corruption and brought back surround sound.

Edited by Ackart

I own Windows 7 x64 and SB Audigy. The Creative drivers for vista are working under Windows 7, but the sound quality is way worse, than in default W7 sound driver. For good signal i have to use the default driver that comes with system, but it does not allow you to use mic boost (but I do use secondary AC97-standard soundcard for recording).

Creative always down with drivers.

Btw. you should be able to use 5.1, 7.1 etc. sourround setups without DD Live. Just check settings in audio control panel.

Btw. you should be able to use 5.1, 7.1 etc. sourround setups without DD Live. Just check settings in audio control panel.

Creative has released Windows 7 specific drivers, at least for the XFI cards. Also, I do have to use DDL (Or DTSC) because I have my PC hooked up to my stereo receiver via an optical cable. DDL is actively encoding the five channel sound into something my receiver actually knows what to do with.

Ackart, I'm currently running the newer drivers on my Audigy SE soundcard. I've got Win7 Enterprise x64 RTM installed for my OS. They work great on every game except ArmA2. I've noticed that it seems to invert the sounds...or at least they're out of position. I might try installing the drivers that came with the card under compatibility mode.

@ sidhellfire, have you experienced anything like what I am? Sounds like we have similar soundcards.

*FIXED* (for me atleast)

It seems that the problem is with creative x-fi series sound cards. By disabling the CMSS-3D option from the sound card option you can enjoy 5.1 surround without screeching. Try it, worked for me

*FIXED* (for me atleast)

It seems that the problem is with creative x-fi series sound cards. By disabling the CMSS-3D option from the sound card option you can enjoy 5.1 surround without screeching. Try it, worked for me

It didn't work after all, the problem reoccured

Install the 1.4 patch

If that doesn't work, then lower your ingame volume below 50% and raise your speaker/headphone volume.

I get the same problem occasionally. All you need to do is open the creative audio control pannel and switch it from DDL to something else then back again and it will fix it. Just alt tab out and do it quick . A pain in the butt but it works for me.

What you have to do is to open the volume icon that is to the left of the clock on your desktop.. then find your loudspeakers and choos that they have to be the default..

Now you will not have problems with sound and arma again, the problem is really that arma not automatic can figure this out, so you have to one time to manual choose your speakers to be standard for playing sound ;-)

I play arma with all xfi features enabled without problems, in the past i had to play in stereo ( with 2 speakers and not 5.1 ) els the sound would scratch.