Sign in to follow this  
Pyronick

Volvo the game

The free race simulator/concept car demo from Volvo and Simbin has been released today.

It's based on the adapted gMotor engine used in the RACE and GTR series.

3s.jpg

You can download it here or here.

Unfortunately it's arcade game, even if powered by Simbin's engine.
Yeah, I found out after I installed the game.

The driving physics in terms of momentum do feel realistic, but corner speeds are crazy. The grip is near impossible and traction control can't be disabled on most cars.

Also the Volvo 240 Turbo isn't as skittish/snappy as it is in real life.

Yes, the M3 game was more realistic, but I guess the M3 is so awesome it didn't need any "makeup".

I tried to powerslide the only rearwheeled drive car in the game and couldn't do it. Maybe keyboards don't give enough input.

Here's the page on the Volvo site:

http://s60game.volvocars.edgesuite.net/Volvo_TheGame_1.0_Setup.exe

I recommend you get it from there because it seems some people have ended up with a preview build..

Strange, besides the S60 I don't see complaints about the physics being arcade from the race sim sites. Remember these aren't the fastest cars around.

Will give it a go myself later.

Nearly managed to powerslide it! Using my mouse for steering makes it much easier.

These racing games have always been weird, you simply don't have enough input to accurately judge anything. You don't get pulled out of your seat, you don't feel the car starting to float

Edited by MehMan

Yeah I did manage to do a few of small powerslides, but I wanna do a huge drift :P . Probably won't be possible.

At least not without practice!

Tested it yesterday and as I have somewhat a favour for old cars I used the oldest one offered. With settings on Pro it gives you quite a challenge and I don´t think that the physics of the car are that bad. In fact the car sometimes gave me a hard time with it´s rear-drive, the power and the bulkiness of the car. I liked it.

You can swing the car from one corner into another with a constantly drifting car. That´s not that easy to achieve as you need to have precise control of the pedals but it works lovely once you´ve found the right points.

The latest Volvo model is overdone in my opinion. It feels like driving on rails, no matter what you do.

Not bad for a free advertising game though and I really like the idea of implementing older beasts aswell. (Dreaming of a followup to GT Legends, my alltime favourite simulator).

You should play it with a wheel though.

That's it, i'm buying a cheapo wheel for this sort of stuff!

NO NO NO that's just wasting money. Better save it for a better car than a polo.

But it'll be so much fun to...

No save it.

And that is why I play with a keyboard and mouse.

NO NO NO that's just wasting money. Better save it for a better car than a polo.

Not buying a cheap wheel like a Momo sure isn't going to get you a better car than a Polo :p

Besides a Polo isn't bad, I learned to drive in one :D

It's not a bad car but it could be better. I'm talking about a 1998 Polo though. I'm a bit split on trying to see what I could do to it to make it get more umph from it without changing the engine, and improving the handling(god this thing is scary in roundabouts, way too much body roll) and fitting a xenon kit with clear lenses(xenons are the only way to go, WAY better visibility!) OR just not bothering with that and save up to buy a new car. According to my insurance company I need to have my drivers licence for 3 years before I fall out of the beginner driver category(20% EXTRA FFS) but according to the state I'm fine after two years. But yeah, you know, now I'm just rambling.

A saitek wheel looks tempting, but I know I'm only going to use it as much as my joystick. It's also rather cheap, 80€...

Hurf.. maybe.

Edited by MehMan

That's one of the typical Polo issues. We had lots of Seat Ibiza's with the same problem, get one of those aftermarket anti-roll bars and extend it to the point where it's tight. Then check the spring plate bolts, make sure there is no room.

Don't tighten it too much use loctite instead, otherwise it will make your car very noisy with loud thumps and can twist the chassis.

Also check your shocks, if any of them feels different replace them all.

Broken shocks can cause serious problems, especially in hard braking conditions even with anti-lock.

I can recommend you the Logitech G25, it's very precise, 900 degrees (shame most games don't use it) has a clutch pedal and is one of the few wheels that actually does secure itself properly to your desk/table.

In combination with GTR Evolution or Live for Speed and TrackIR it's just pure bliss.

Edited by SgtH3nry3

I'm thinking of lowering it with some replacement shocks, maybe coilovers. I'm afraid that'll just screw the gearbox as I've heard from people who like to go low.

Quick question. I've got a problem with my car whistiling at high speeds or very strong winds. I've excluded wheel bearings and belts because they don't care about wind. It sounds like a hurricane blowing through a straw. The door seals seem fine, no leaking, no tearing, I had a session with baby powder and a Kärcher, none of the baby powder was gone. So I'm pretty confident that the door seals are fine. As a cause I've heard that the doors could be fitted badly or some panels. The problem is on the right side of the car and I did a bit of testing with a pencil to see if that can be the problem:

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo312/Gorak_2008/IMG_0002.jpg

The drivers side is fine, passanger side is out by 1mm at the top, .5mm at the bottom. Could this really cause a lot of noise?

Also, the G25 is way out of my fun-gaming budget. I'm much more inclined towards a cheapo saitek solution.

EDIT:

This game is tons of fun actually, now that I got the hang of getting the car out of a soon-to-be-complete-mess is fun.

Edited by MehMan

I can't imagine a 1/0.5 mm gap causing that much turbulence or flow interrupt at those speeds...

Some cars just whistle by nature, lots of Fiats, Citroëns and Peugeots have these problems.

If you want to know how much space you have left when you want to lower your car using shocks only, pile up some stuff (weight) in your car until it won't go much lower.

Now you have a fairly accurate indication on how much room you have left.

Just dropping a few centimeters usually does the trick.

Lowering your car too much and the presence of the crumple zone is negligible...

Anybody familiar with the Saitek R660 GT? It's cheap and I'm half tempted to buy it.

I would much recommend to put some money in the pot and go for a G25 instead.

It's 230ish €. And I'm not deep into the racing sims. Mainly because I don't understand half of the fiddly bits. But this volvo game is kinda fun. wee

I'm thinking more in terms of logitech momo...But even that's a bit on the harsh side.

Edited by MehMan

Logitech Momo is good for a cheap wheel. I use it and I'm pretty happy with it.

Don't buy MOMO Racing now. Almost same price and you've got Driving Force GT (which works well on PC, not only PS3)

900degree turns are vital.

Hmm, gonna hit the shops tommorow, thinking of maybe getting a second hand momo.

Ok quick bump, momo or Driving Force GT?

They're both the same price.

EDIT: NICE the GT seems to be PC compliant now, that's the wheel I'm buying.

Got a bonus at work, now I know where it's going!

Edited by MehMan

I'm gonna triple post this becauseeeeee:

How the hell do people get a 1:36 time on Chayka? Did they mod the files? Because I loaded a track and just on the start straight the loaded volvo C30 was going faster than me even though I had full power and I was going 216 km/h at the very end of the straight, at the bridge, then comes the braking point otherwise you get sent into the fence. I can't get my time under 1:44:252 though. But eh, I kinda suck, and don't keep to the best lines. But still, I can't imagine I could take more than a second off.

Also, how can the S40 be slower than a c30 even though it's lighter and more powerful?