Sign in to follow this  
AlteredTomorrow

Help to Improve Performance

Hello, just bought ArmA and loving the gameplay, but my performance has been somewhat hindering enjoyment. I get very poor performance. I've read around on this forum and the official forums and it seems like your settings need to be tweaked a certain way for your hardware set-up, so I was wondering if you guys could recommend what I should set things on.

Processor: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.8GHz

Memory: 4094MB RAM

Hard Drive: 304 GB

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTS

Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.080917-1612)

I'm using the beta version 1.16 and all my drivers are up to date as far as I know.

Edited by AlteredTomorrow

Well it depends on how big your monitor is and how large you need/want your resolution to be very much. If you have like 22"@1680x1050 or more then mostly on very low.

Well it depends on how big your monitor is and how large you need/want your resolution to be very much. If you have like 22"@1680x1050 or more then mostly on very low.

My max resolution is 1440x900 and I usually run other games on that setting with no problems.

~1.8GHz ???

than your PC not fulfills minimal requirements listed on box, which is 2 GHz minimum, recomended 3GHz

and Vista is *** and uses a lot of PC power itself, games work better on XP

~1.8GHz ???

than your PC not fulfills minimal requirements listed on box, which is 2 GHz minimum, recomended 3GHz

and Vista is *** and uses a lot of PC power itself, games work better on XP

It's dual core, so wouldn't that put it above 2 GHz?

Try turning off areo interface.

I don't know what that is.

EDIT: After looking that up, I do not use that inteface, I'm using a Windows Classic inteface.

Edited by AlteredTomorrow

If you have Vista Premium, the Aero is all that visual interface effects. Dunno if it will help, but you can turn game in a compatibility mode, where you can turn off some of windows features.

btw. I recall a T5550 is a notebook processor. I don't own a laptop, but friend had some bad experience with gaming on these toys. IE. that 8800M GTS is probably ~33% slower than desktop 8800GTS. Personally I don't believe there are gaming laptops on market.

If you have Vista Premium, the Aero is all that visual interface effects. Dunno if it will help, but you can turn game in a compatibility mode, where you can turn off some of windows features.

btw. I recall a T5550 is a notebook processor. I don't own a laptop, but friend had some bad experience with gaming on these toys. IE. that 8800M GTS is probably ~33% slower than desktop 8800GTS. Personally I don't believe there are gaming laptops on market.

It is a laptop, it's a gaming laptop, a Gateway FX system. I understand that it's weaker than a desktop but it can run other things very well. However I know this particular game is processor intensive, but I believe my processor passes minimum requirements.

I know people have all kinds of notions about gaming laptops but I'd rather not hear them.

Unfortunately ArmA is demanding, Hopefully ArmA2 will use both your cores, so should run better. There's guess, that Overclocking your cpu will help a bit, but have no idea about heat generated in that case, nor voltage.

Unfortunately ArmA is demanding, Hopefully ArmA2 will use both your cores, so should run better. There's guess, that Overclocking your cpu will help a bit, but have no idea about heat generated in that case, nor voltage.

I'd rather not overclock, so I should just put ArmA away and wait for 2?

Ah, I didnt notice its a laptop. Anyway, my friend has a bit better laptop and he cant get arma smooth at all. With proper_grass, lowplants and lowering sceneComplexity to 75.000 (besides everything on low and res around 1024. If res is less then its too ugly) it stoped laging but its still unplayable. Mouse very slow. Going on foot out of towns is almost good but flying or combat in towns is impossible. Only thing he can do in arma is fight with tanks. It seems good in tank, pretty smooth. Although, he can only fight AI becouse he needs to have vdistance on like 600 or so and everyone has atleast 900.

As said before, it doesnt matter how meny cores you have, arma only uses one. I really hope you can play arma2 normaly but I doubt.

Ah, I didnt notice its a laptop. Anyway, my friend has a bit better laptop and he cant get arma smooth at all. With proper_grass, lowplants and lowering sceneComplexity to 75.000 (besides everything on low and res around 1024. If res is less then its too ugly) it stoped laging but its still unplayable. Mouse very slow. Going on foot out of towns is almost good but flying or combat in towns is impossible. Only thing he can do in arma is fight with tanks. It seems good in tank, pretty smooth. Although, he can only fight AI becouse he needs to have vdistance on like 600 or so and everyone has atleast 900.

As said before, it doesnt matter how meny cores you have, arma only uses one. I really hope you can play arma2 normaly but I doubt.

Ah well.. that's a shame, I could really get into it if it ran well. Thanks all for the help. :)

you will need to turn down the settings to play, theres no doubt about that, do it by trial and error in the advanced graphics settings, you can also try Gamebooster http://www.majorgeeks.com/Game_Booster_d6148.html its a very well rated freeware app that turns off or on all unnecessary windows processes

Nice! That GameBooster program helped a lot. Before I was getting like 5-15 FPS but now it's about 20-30, which is much more playable. I have everything on low/disabled, except textures which is on Default. I heard changing it from default can cause problems.

Personally I don't believe there are gaming laptops on market.

hmmmm

:butbut:

9280.jpg

Edited by SWAT_BigBear

Your computer doesn't really pass the minimum requirements. Your processor is only 1.8GHz, which does not change if it is dual core or not. It's quite low for a gaming laptop. My old laptop was 2GHz, and it's almost 2 and a half years old now. Plus, your 8800M GTS is quite a weak card. The 8800M GTS is not the same as the 8800 GTS, it has a much lower performance It's probably equivalent to a 8600 desktop card. So, you'll have to either turn down ingame settings or upgrade, unfortunately. Make sure you patch up to v1.16 beta, though. That will help improve your performance, as will using performance-helping addons.