Sign in to follow this  
Segwin

Black Screen

Just built a new computer and am seeing a strange effect.

I'll be playing and all of a sudden the screen goes black (looks like it is going to CTD) then after 5-7 seconds I get the word receiving and then it's back to normal game play.

Asus Rampage II Extreme, i7 940, nVidia 285 GTX.

Vista 64bit

Thoughts?

Edited by Segwin

is it just in Arma that that happens? And when you say "then after 5-7 seconds I get the word receiving"; is that the game that reports that (like after you load a map); or something that your monitor says (like Signal acquired)

I have the same issue. It's the nVidia driver crashing and reloading again. After your screen turns black, try Alt tabbing to see this icon :exclamation: (actually a triangle) appearing in the tray. If you wait a few seconds you'll see a pop-up saying the graphics driver have been restored.

If you switch back to the game you have the "receiving..." screen a few secs and then all is normal again as you said.

I don't know if there's any solution to this, but it can be really annoying when in midst a fire fight.

kind of sounds like a power issue. what kind of PSU are you using? Either that or your GPU is overheating and going into 'safe' mode so it doesn't fry the processor/memory. check your temps under load also

Edited by No Use For A Name

I had to underclock the memory clock of my MSI 8800GT 512 OC-E because ArmA used to crash after 30 mins, resulting in red fragments all over the screen and then a BSOD.

The same on Hitman Blood Money but just in very rare cases, so I guess it's not ArmA's fault.

I know this card was a RTM case back when I bought it, but I was too lazy to change and I was fine with 900 MHz instead of 950 MHz, so...

Also neither temp nor power is lacking. I don't know which power supply I have because I'm kinda on the other side of the world right now but my cousin set up the rig for me and I told him I wanted a rig that could smoothly play Crysis with max details (ArmA didn't ring a bell for him so I had to give this embarrasing example. Oh btw, Crysis ultimately ran with about 15fps on max settings, but ArmA was fine (except for the red fragments of course)).

Also temperature is in green zone all the time. I check it with EVGA tools (forgot the name), since the newest version of Rivatuner wouldn't run on my x64 Vista (too lazy to turn off driver check crap ...). But anyway it's the same author and the same program.

Well, to come back to topic: Maybe the driver crash is because the card is just fubar :D Gonna get a 285 GTX or something when I'm back home I guess (except ArmA2 will run fine on the current one, but I doubt it since it's the same engine).

I have the same issue. It's the nVidia driver crashing and reloading again. After your screen turns black, try Alt tabbing to see this icon :exclamation: (actually a triangle) appearing in the tray. If you wait a few seconds you'll see a pop-up saying the graphics driver have been restored.

If you switch back to the game you have the "receiving..." screen a few secs and then all is normal again as you said.

I don't know if there's any solution to this, but it can be really annoying when in midst a fire fight.

Which drivers are you using? I've installed the latest but may roll back to the ones that came with the installation disk.

kind of sounds like a power issue. what kind of PSU are you using? Either that or your GPU is overheating and going into 'safe' mode so it doesn't fry the processor/memory. check your temps under load also

It's not power supply - I'm running a 850 watt supply. It's not over heating either, I'm not OC and the new cabinet has 6 fans - with one 120MM on the top. I though it might be an over heating issue but I'm running the ASUS temp monitior and every thing looks OK.

With me this happened with all the drivers that were coming out since Arma release. I stopped playing in February so the latest driver I used was from that time.

hmmm, that is weird. Never have had anything like that happen to me. Maybe try some older drivers like andi suggested and see if that narrows it down. Probably not really a solution since newer games (if you have any others) typically don't run as well on the older drivers. Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge can help