Sign in to follow this  
hoak

Will ArmA II Have VAC Anti-Cheat

It seems virtually official as it was answered on Twitter that ArmA II would concurrently release on Steam. One of the compelling things about this announcement for Fans of ArmA that hate cheating, is that Steam gives the game Developer access to VAC (Valve Anti-Cheat) via SteamWorks which is a very capable, some would argue one of the best Anti-Cheat systems for on-line MP gaming.

But will ArmA II be using VAC?

Fingers crossed!

:butbut:

Edited by Hoak

Is Valve devoloping Arma 2?

No......

I don't even know if we need an anti cheat, I NEVER saw any cheating when I played Arma.

Is Valve devoloping Arma 2?

No......

I don't even know if we need an anti cheat, I NEVER saw any cheating when I played Arma.

I saw those cheaters shooting laser guided bombs on full auto every now and then.

Your lucky you never saw any cheating

You two both saw cheating?

The only time I saw cheating was when me and an admin on Sara life were messing around, other than that, in my 150 or so hours of Arma, I have never seen any cheating.

never saw cheating. only beaming caused by lag^^

arma2 isnt completly on steam dont know but can "normal" copies use vac too? i it is limited to steam user only its pointless.

I imagine the Steam copy of ArmA2 will be like ArmA1, it'll have no other ties to steam itself other than a means to download the game. After that the game can run stand alone without steam running. As far as I know, only Valve developed games run VAC, or games that were closely tied in with Valve in some way.

After 1.14 and BattlEye, no, but before that, it was very common. I saw a lot of extreme "bomb rain" over the base in Evo. :D:D

Any game published on Steam has access to implementing VAC through SteamWorks -- Red Orchestra for example is on the Unreal engine, uses VAC, and there is virtually no cheating. Many other MP games on Steam that use unique engnes employ VAC as well with same excellent results.

What VAC offers over other cheat protection schemes is that it uses virtually no client resources or bandwidth, and will globally ban a Player found cheating; the mere threat of global ban is potent anti-cheat measure all its own.

:)

Edited by Hoak

I encountered some hackers every once in a while. They used to teleport bases around, flip all objects by 90 degree, make the game stop, started to play music etc. etc.

Very annoying. But BattlEye should do the job :D

It seems virtually official as it was answered on Twitter that ArmA II would concurrently release on Steam. One of the compelling things about this announcement for Fans of ArmA that hate cheating, is that Steam gives the game Developer access to VAC (Valve Anti-Cheat) via SteamWorks which is a very capable, some would argue one of the best Anti-Cheat systems for on-line MP gaming.

But will ArmA II be using VAC?

Fingers crossed!

:butbut:

Got a direct link for that source?

I encountered some hackers every once in a while. They used to teleport bases around, flip all objects by 90 degree, make the game stop, started to play music etc. etc.

Very annoying. But BattlEye should do the job :D

This is what I like to hear when I hear about hacking to be honest, while this sux, it just proves that Arma/milsims do not cater to the immature needs of script kiddies, rather than hiding the cheats and consistently ruining other peoples game via 'pwnage', they go all out to ruin the game for others in order to satisfy themselves, this wont last as long and is easier dealt with.

Edited by Trauma.au

AFAIK Battleye together with signed addon works on stoping many cheating, how effective , however, I have no idea

You guys started playing ArmA after *** got bored (this post will see if *** still gets converted to KFC, lol) when people like Doolittle released their own anti-cheat scripts, and then BIS introduced BE. Believe me, before that happened, I would not touch ArmA MP for a while. Every public server had a cheater blowing up everything in a Evolution map or mic spamming. It was like any other game, if not worse. *** were griefers, not trying to make themselves look good.

Edit: Nope, just gets censored out instead.

Well said.

A tragic but somewhat funny story from myself: I didn't stop playing OFP because I wanted to. I were forced to because my CD key was banned after my game got hacked by some *** dick.

Yes, he completely took over my whole controls, spawned a few attack choppers on a full C&H server and flew off. Only thing I could do was like :butbut:

My keyboard was disabled as was my mouse. I just could stare at the screen and :confused: "wtf is going on?"

After I realized wtf was going on, I saw the chat filling with "Harhar *** strikes again" BS coming from my name and unplugged the power cable immediately.

But it was too late. :(

Banned on every major server. Lost my faith in OPF for nearly 2 years. Until I bought ArmA in the end of 2007 and was on the road again. :yay:

Incredible story, I know, but it's true.

VAC isnt very good at all. In valve's cs: source, hackers run free and never get banned on VAC servers. Good thing we have good admins to ban em themselves.

Now Im wondering will I be able to install any addons when i Use steam arma 2???

I would really like to own steam version cause I've had good experiences with HL 2 and Tf 2 and Left for dead and the whole steam service is usually top notch.

I've never seen a better service like it.

Now Im wondering will I be able to install any addons when i Use steam arma 2???

I would really like to own steam version cause I've had good experiences with HL 2 and Tf 2 and Left for dead and the whole steam service is usually top notch.

I've never seen a better service like it.

I don't see why you wont be able to use addons, the problem with the steam maybe will be the patches... they will have to be specific for steam...

Edited by Jorge.PT
typo

Steam and VAC is a good Online service and anticheat protection.

I hope Arma2 (all version) use friend list and all fuction of steam...

I hate gamespy, xfire and more....

Hi all

ArmA is not an ego shooter why cheat? Points do not mean that much to most ArmA players. It is team play game in the main.

By the way ArmA has BattlEye and DOACS. Which seems to have helped reduce griefers and the like.

Also the major ArmA clans use private locked and hidden servers and only use their public server for training in their clan ethos and recruiting.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

Simple answer is no. Longer answer is search for BattlEye and you'll find a few threads on it :)