Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: G36 dual sights and correct optical sight reticle pattern

G36 dual sights and correct optical sight reticle pattern

May I ask three questions:

1.)
    The G36 features dual sights: "a 3.5X scope sight beneath, and a 1X red-dot sight above."
    Will we have two „sight buttons“ in Arma2 to directly switch to one of the two sights?

2.)
    Will the 3.5X scope sight have a proper and functional sight reticle pattern:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:G36Reticle.png

3.) The last question is not related to the G36 in particular but on aiming in ArmA (ArmA 2) in general: One thing that really is annoying is the possibility to zoom in and change the FOV three times if using iron sights:

a. You can zoom in on something in the normal viewing mode.
    b. You can zoom in on something in using the iron sight mode.
    c. And if you are using the iron sight mode you can zoom in again.

The possibilities of zooming – in my opinion – are not only complicated, moreover they always felt very unrealistic and killed the immersion a bit. There should even be no zoom and change of FOV if switching to ironsights; the same applies to magnificacion scopes in regard to the landscape viewed outside of the scope:

Example: http://viriato.net/airgunning/ft/lou...9/DSC_1438.JPG

Will Arma 2 use the same complicated viewing system that Arma 1 used or are there signs that the developers modified it?
    Last edited by Recta DP; May 14 2009 at 12:14.

Warrant Officer
    Not sure about the dual sights, but the viewing and scope system looks to be about the same. Not sure how you think it could be handled without zooming in and out, as the eyes resolution, area of distant interest, and field of view cannot be imitated without it. Basically, hard pixel counts and small screens prevent you from doing wide peripheral work like CQB, and distance shooting in the same FOV.

Welcome to the forums,

Scrub
    Last edited by Scrub; May 14 2009 at 12:06.
    -Rabid Arma 3 fan-

Yes, like millions, I also throw my money at the BIS homepage and it refuses to take it.. Finally took it!

Quote Originally Posted by Recta DP View Post
    3.) The last question is not related to the G36 in particular but on aiming in ArmA (ArmA 2) in general: One thing that really is annoying is the possibility to zoom in and change the FOV three times if using iron sights:

a. You can zoom in on something in the normal viewing mode.
    b. You can zoom in on something in using the iron sight mode.
    c. And if you are using the iron sight mode you can zoom in again.

The possibilitys of zooming – in my opinion – are not only complicated, moreover they always felt very unrealistic and killed the immersion a bit. There should even be no zoom and change of FOV if switching to ironsights; the same applies to magnificacion scopes in regard to the landscape viewed outside of the scope:
    Do you know why there is a zoom in the first place? It's because the resolution of a monitor can never match the human eye and zooming simulates concentration on a faraway object that you could see irl with your bare eyes but not on a computer screen.

Hi I may be completly wrong but on the arma 2 website it has 4 varients of the G36.

G36, G36C, G36C-SD, G36K

The G36k has a scope, G36c + G36c-sd have a red dot by the looks of tings so Im guesing the G36 is just an ironsight.

But having never played the original arma I have no idea how your weapon selection is. Weather you have to choose one of the above variants or you choose the gun then start equiping things like supresors and scopes etc.

Thanks for your answers!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrub View Post
    Basically, hard pixel counts and small screens prevent you from doing wide peripheral work like CQB, and distance shooting in the same FOV.

Scrub
    I can see the point and I understand why zooming is advantageous especially for small screens, but most people who will play hardware intensive games like ArmA 2 will – as I presume – also have proper screens (24“). On such screens it will not be that necessary to be able to zoom and change the FOV in normal viewing mode.

And for "distance shooting" you will - as in real life - need the help of magnification scopes or binoculars...

For me the possibility to zoom does not feel like simulating the capabilities of the human eye, it feels (a) a bit like "cheating" (as I read in another post on this forum) and (b) there are much more other things to battle with (for example tactical considerations) then having constant battles with the viewing system:

Often the procedure is the following:

1. Normal viewing mode.
    2. Zoom in on something (for example an enemy).
    3. Quickly zoom out by switching to iron sight mode.
    4. In iron sight mode: quickly zoom in again.

The constant zooming and FOV shifting is annoying and furthermore zooming does not sucessfully simulate spatial perceptiveness you lack in a computer simulation. Quite the contrary: In ArmA I am loosing orientation and spatial perceptiveness because of it!
    Last edited by Recta DP; May 14 2009 at 16:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Recta DP View Post
    Often the procedure is the following:

1. Normal viewing mode.
    2. Zoom in on something (for example an enemy).
    3. Quickly zoom out by switching to iron sight mode.
    4. In iron sight mode: quickly zoom in again.
    But thats your decision....just keep the zoom button pressed and switch to ironsight -> no zooming around!
    Greetings Dr.Pulp

Zoom is there for a reason, as others have stated above. Though ff you don't like the zoom feature, you can always disable it by unbinding it in your keyboard config. Of course that would put you at a disadvantage in PvP, because others could still use it.

Gigabyte P67X-UD3-B3 Motherboard | Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.0GHz | NVidia GeForce GTX770 4GB
    16GB Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz RAM | Kingston HyperX SSD | ASUS Xonar D2X
    sound | be Quiet! 700W PSU | Windows 7 x64

Warrant Officer
    Hell, yeah. If you have the uber 24" screen, you are one of the blessed chosen that has no need to do so. A major bonus from BIS in Arma is that you have OPTIONS for everything, because they as developers cannot 'assume' anything less than the player that has the minimum required to play, and therefore has to make accomodations for them.

And for distance shooting, I mean within ironsights range 300-400m out. Unless you have the setup you assume we all have at maximum resolution, the target would be a pixel or two without FOV adjustment. It isn't cheating. It's making up for the fact the eye has infinately more resolution than your CRT/LCD, allowing you to squint a bit and make out features at those ranges.
    Last edited by Scrub; May 14 2009 at 16:23.

24 inch screens at high res still don't give you visual accuity that someone with 20 / 20 vision has.

Quote Originally Posted by MadDogX View Post
    Zoom is there for a reason, as others have stated above.
    I am convinced that zoom is there for a good reason, thanks for your answers. But even if this is the case, there is no need to have four different stages of zoom and FOV.

Let me explain (for example use the M249 SAW in ArmA):

There are 2 viewing modes: (a) normal viewing mode and (b) iron sight viewing mode. Every one of this two modes allows zoom (on/off).

If you are in normal viewing mode (a) (zoom: on) and you switch to iron sight viewing mode (b) (zoom: on) it zooms in a little bit more.

It would be better if the two viewing modes (a) and (b) would correspond to each other for the case that zoom is on/off. If you are in (a) (zoom: off) and you switch to (b) (zoom: off) there should be no zoom and change of FOV; the same for (a) (zoom: on) --> (b) (zoom: on).

For short: There should be no change in zoom and FOV when changing from normal viewing to iron sight viewing mode, because in this case you are only elevating the weapon to look through the iron sights. Zoom should occur only if you use the zoom button.

This would be - in my opinion - much more immersive. The reason for zoom is to simulate the better "resolution" of human sight, but this has to be separated from lowering or elevating the weapon to look through the iron sights.

The vantages: On the one hand there would be lesser FOV and zoom variations and on the other hand you would have the full vantages of zoom.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast