Vietnam: The Experience - final alpha

Bridge prob on map vte MDSZ single tree hope this helps

Map with location

mapq.png

Can't drive on bridge some parts aren't at same high

bridge.png

Edited by 70gunner

Sgt.spoetnik,

Ienjoyed last night's game session immensly.I hope we can do it again soon m8.

70gunner,

Thanks for your feedback and bug pictures.

The bridge is noted as needing a fix.

Steve.

i made a first beta of a revive mission on the parrots beak single trees map.

no respawns, only revive possible so ppl have to stick together as a squad like it was in real life in nam:).

if all unconscious mission is over.

you start at dawn in the dark and u have bad weather, visibility very limited by fog and rain.

the mission is to clear the area from vietnamese sams and zsus and destroy the radar station and to liberate 3 vietnamese villages.

choppers respawn after 2 minutes when destroyed, but you have to make ur way on foot back to a chopper or rejoin the server if u are too lazy :)

perhaps i will try to implement a repair script in it, to make it possible for engis to repair the vehicles.

if some1 could give me a hint for a good engi script it will be much apreciated:)

i will name this mission : the longest day in vietnam 1.0 beta.

@anzasas

i saw your new missions and i like them,

perhaps im allowed to implement the revive option in ur missions, so players can choose in the beginning if they want to play on their own with recruting ai or without recruting ai just with a few fellows in a tour of duty style mission without respawn?

Horror1,

If anyone wants to edit my missions just write Horror1 Edit or add Revive at the end off the name so people can see it is different to the normal mission.

Also, have a look thru OFPEC.com for an engi script.

I have fixed a cupple of bugs in the V2 aircav mission and am doing some more work on it tonight and will post up a version 2.2 this weekend at some point. :)

niQ®,

Cool video m8.Good stuff.:cool:

I read your thread about a possible SEAL team campaign. Was anything ever produced?
I have the backbone working, but it needs all kinds of "mission stuff" to make it enjoyable. I guess its more like proof of concept now. Basically its insertion, extraction, target placement with briefing markers and triggers, then the whole campaign save variable stuff etc. But its not really anything playable yet.
Do you have any plans to update the SEAL units?
Yes I plan to complete the units to the OFP level regarding gear and textures. Same goes to all other units.

I would be very pleased if some modeler would join in and help me on this, as its going to take me quite some time to accomplish it alone.

Have you thought about maybe giving two or three SEALs tiger camo boonie hats? Perhaps another two could get camo beret hats they commonly wore. Talking of clothes, SEAL's and ASAS regularly wore denim jeans into combat.
Like I said above, they will be updated to the OFP VTE v0.4 level which Ebud did his masterpiece work.
We are interested in how everyone's pc's are coping with the single tree terrains.
Its all about how many objects are stacked together, not how many there are in a terrain.

I have made absolutely slowdown/lag free 25km terrain with 1.3 MILLION objects, however on other trial terrains only few thousand objects causes huge slowdown.

Is this a general bug with a bush mesh or is it something that has to be fixed in every location it's found?
Its a known bug for the 50m jungle blocks. ArmA engine wont align them to ground properly like OFP did.
pmt server
That would be PMC server :)
Are there any plans to re-populate the MeeKong map with single tree/bush objects?
I'm cautiously looking into converting the 4WVR single texture terrains into "native" ArmA 8WVR satellite texture terrains. Dont hold your breath though, it might never happen.

I do have Ia Drang as the mentioned native terrain already, but the satellite texture in my configuration looks like pure crap, the scale is way way off, you're flying in 400m altitude and it looks like youre nap of the earth at 4m altitude. Not good. Sure it needs tweak, work and trials, but haven't got there yet.

With ARMA2 around the corner ,i would say there wont be anymore VTE releases for ARMA1.
Well luckily you're no authority so it does not really matter what you say.

There has been no official word if there will be more VTE releases for ArmA (1) and there is no word when we go into ArmA 2.

So anything anyone is saying at this point is pure speculation quess work.

hmm somehow the warfare mission doesnt work it says "no entry´bin/config.bin/cfg.vehicles.claymoresammobox´."
Its now fixed. I also did my own warfare port for VTE, its semi ok at the moment except that many US soldiers spawn without rifles. Will have to work on that.
the glass in the planes and choppers seems to be white, i cannot see properly through
I was just thinking about this last night when I flew AH1, I have no problems seeing out from the cockpits. Maybe its my settings (low settings) that cause it, dunno?
the empty us jeeps dont seem to be drivable,the actiomenu dont show up
Yep I wrote this bug down and it will be fixed for next release.
in the huey gunship the feet of the passengers stick outside
Damn I thought I fixed all of these. Will have to recheck again.
4.)the shadows of the rifles are displaced.
There is no shadows in ANY models, so if they are displaced or not doesn't matter, just turn off shadows when playing VTE, for now.
5.)tanks cannot drive through high grass
Hmm can you identify this grass please?
6.)ai soldiers cannot go over the ricepaddys barriers
Known bug, been trying to figure it out for a long time now. No luck so far.
i allways filter out pwed server
PMC Tactical VTE server has no password for now, by miracle there hasn't been a flood of joe users who have no idea what mod we are using. So password is not used for now.
server is the vte-mod server but i think it should be CLEAR in the servername what kind of server it is.
Right now the name is

PMC Tactical, Vietnam: The Exeperience (VTE) alpha

server description it should state clear WHERE to dl the mod and that ONLY this mod is needed to play so ppl dont get lazy as i do when i see i need 20 addons to play on a server
Server description, you mean the welcome message?

Right now our welcome message says where to download the addons, but yeah it only lists the forum root, user have to search for them. I think if we add a topic name, nobody in their right mind can remember that difficult/long link.

and please get back the radiostations in the sounds, i miss radio saigon alot
I don't recall removing any sounds, can you be more specific?
Bridge prob on map vte MDSZ single tree hope this helps
Yep thats they are called (test version use at own risk) heh.
i made a first beta of a revive mission on the parrots beak single trees map.
Downloaded and placed on PMC Tactical server, will have to try it tonight :)
i really like this mod good work...i did a little video
Good video niQ, thanks for creating and posting that.

If you have more, please let us know.

BTW would anyone care to record some multiplayer mission video, I would love to see VTE in MP action?

If anyone can help us to build mission repository PHP code/web page, please let us know. I'm going to setup a temporary mission repo but naturally it would be a lot of manual work to update it and nobody could upload missions on the fly. So please if any php/web guru is there bored, code us a file-send mission repository system, would be very much appreciated by many people :)

we had a bit of fun on the vte mod .

heres some footage:

and some VTE footage in this compilation

... i have to have a look at the bits'n'bobs and see if i can collate it to a vte only vid.

Edited by Mc Speedfreak

I tried the latest version I think I got it from Armaholic or armedassault.info :D I visit both sites frequently.

Anyways the sounds soldiers shout when spotting and enemy ect. are missing or something. I just get the report text but no sound. Weapons and vehicles and trigger sound fx all works but voices are gone.

It removes alot of the immersion if everything is dead silent except for the ocasional weapon sounds.

I've spent several days playing the Mod. Really very nice and impressive although still have some bugs on maps, soldiers and etc. I think the texture and some details could be improved in the following release. Any way, like it very much and just like a new game of Vietnam War instead of only a Mod.

@snakeman

There is no shadows in ANY models, so if they are displaced or not doesn't matter, just turn off shadows when playing VTE, for now.

hmm i see the shadows of the soldiers but the rifles cast a strange shadow to the ground, however i will let shadows on as they add very much atmosphere into the jungle.

"Hmm can you identify this grass please?"

high grass at poleikleng map u cant drive through it with a tank, no matter where , didnt try any other vehicles yet.

I don't recall removing any sounds, can you be more specific?

when i used triggers i used under effects>anonymous>rradio1 to 4 the radio broadcasts.

this was original radio broadcasts from vietnam radio hanoi and such.

but when i remember right there was an addon wich modified the vte mod , perhaps they were into that addons?

however i will implement it in my next mission in the mission file, it makes it more atmospheric with live nam radio:)

Downloaded and placed on PMC Tactical server, will have to try it tonight

i have updated this mission with LOTS of enemys and moving convoys and realistic sam sides in a 5 starshape and added an extraction script to make the sl able to call a medievac to his location and to get flown out into the base.

i ported it to quahnbinson single trees too on wich we played yesterday untill 3 oclock german time.

i will test it today, all welcome.

perhaps we can add this mission after testing, into pmc and remove the other as it was just a first beta to test how it works.

the new one is: longest day in vietnam revive + extraction 1.1beta

Right now the name is

PMC Tactical, Vietnam: The Exeperience (VTE) alpha

my server name is: VIETNAM @Vte-mod all welcome

yesterday nef and me were playing at pmc and than i asked nef if he would like to test my updated map on my server and believe it or not or ask nef ,i start hosting and within 5 minutes we had more than 20 connections of wich 7 guys played on my server and i stopped counting how many tried to connect after the first minutes.

the point is that VIETNAM is a magnet for ppl and it will need some time until ppl are so curious that they will try out this VIETNAM thing but the more they try to connect and fail , the more they will get curious of what is that about.

however i test the missions on my server so i can use my armaeffects mod but i would be glad to see all interested ppl on pmc tactical, but the name just dont stick out of the other masses of servers while my name does.

i suggest again to rename the server to something like: VIETNAM @Pmc´s Tactical server.

the point is, if pmc tactical is not the magnet itself u must change the name to something it is.

perhaps pron server would be a magnet too, never tried it though :)

ppl just see the first words in all the masses of servers and they often dont even look for a vietnam scenario but for a domination or evolution server , so out of curiosity they would just try to join another server if it is straight in their face :)

cu in nam

EDIT: uh i just noticed that the radio vietnam files are 200 mb and carry 3 hours live broadcast in nam but it would be too big to add in a mission ;)

perhaps snakeman could add them in an updated vte - mod :)

Edited by horror1

i will let shadows on as they add very much atmosphere into the jungle.
As I have stated on the alpha "features" there is no shadows, I have tried to remove all shadows from all models (LODNoShadow = 1) as there is no ShadowVolume LODs. So what ever you see, is some leftovers which I overlooked (except soldiers have the default BIS shadow).
high grass at poleikleng map u cant drive through it with a tank
Copy that, I'll look into it.

Strange as I though I fixed these already.

when i used triggers i used under effects>anonymous>rradio1 to 4 the radio broadcasts.
Hmm I'll look into this. I really don't remember removing anything though.
updated this mission with LOTS of enemys and moving convoys and realistic sam sides in a 5 starshape
Good to hear. We played the mission last night on PMC Tactical server, it was great. It was great because there was the anticipation of battle, first time to play that mission for me so every meter I proceeded on the terrain was in scare of some VC lurking nearby. After some unnamed person *cough* crashed our Huey, we had to walk long way between targets, that was great experience, however I wouldn't want to do that twice since there was no contact but it was great indeed.

I hope the units you added aren't that excessive that you end up with it being slaughter where you constantly revive team mates. I think on the big terrain picture you should add like 2-4 men patrols on large random waypoint radius ranges, then few guard waypoint squads (full 9 men or more) to cover a larger area, like, patrol would make contact with you which would then call the "sleeping" guard group to engage you if you are staying too long time in the contact position. etc. Anyways I'd hate to see the current mission turn into lagging slug fest, right now the atmosphere and anticipation of battle is awesome.

I can't wait to test the new version. Please let me know when its ready.

believe it or not or ask nef ,i start hosting and within 5 minutes we had more than 20 connections of wich 7 guys played on my server and i stopped counting how many tried to connect after the first minutes.
PMC Tactical server runs linux 1.14

Your server is latest win 1.16

Wonder if the latest version is so "hot" in the MP community, that people just don't want to join much on 1.14 servers anymore?

the name just dont stick out of the other masses of servers while my name does.

i suggest again to rename the server to something like: VIETNAM @Pmc´s Tactical server.

I have no changed the name to start with vietnam in capital letters, our group name comes after that. We'll see if that makes any difference :)
uh i just noticed that the radio vietnam files are 200 mb and carry 3 hours live broadcast in nam
Well I can guarantee those were never in VTE and would not be. Perhaps in cut and tweaked versions, but never in that size.

I got on the PMC server tonight and the mission was superb. Great teamwork and the server was busy, the huey insertion/extractions were crowded. I did quite a bit of flying and a fair bit of crashing.

I count 11 including myself.

vte_online_01.jpg

Higher than the sun!

vte_online_02.jpg

There were countless people joining the server, and then disconnecting because they didnt have the mod.

Cheers

@snakeman

PMC Tactical server runs linux 1.14

Your server is latest win 1.16

Wonder if the latest version is so "hot" in the MP community, that people just don't want to join much on 1.14 servers anymore?

naaah im 1.14 and im a private host so its the name believe me.:)

as i saw today u changed the server name and ur server is FULL and countless players are connecting without the vte mod but soon they will get the mod , thats for sure :).

most players are at 1.14 , the 1.16 is mostly used by ace servers bcause the avgani and afghan village missions perform better there than with 1.14

@alphadelta

hey alpha i was ur sl on that hill remember? -=TB=-HORROR ingame, this match was awsome and i think u took me while crouched in front of u :)

i was carrying a stoner mg and i had a marines helmet and u were standing on my right at that hill.

hope u will on tomorrow too, and im sure lots of ppl will get this mod soon :)

cheers

I'm in a difficult timezone so I can't really play on sunday nights. I was up until 4am last night!!

I'm on now if anyone wants a game.

Cheers

Getting CTDs, some strange looking clothes, vehicles that dont drive on roads (even on "safe") and a full arma.rpt. Its ok for an Alpha (OFP import). Imho less units/vehicles/islands with better "ArmA quality" are the way to go. Those OFP cardboard plants (grass, bushes) are absolutely no-go. Please create something that fit more into ArmA/Arma2 world or is it done intentionally - to show the contrast between OFP-ArmA-Arma2? ;)

I may actually stop in for this one, looks like fun!

Getting CTDs

Read the FAQ in our online manual.

Cool mod, I had fun with it online because there's a sever with 1:16 named something like "Vietnam", 24/6 opened.

horror1 will you be updating your longest day in nam mission before Saturday May 23rd?

Perhaps you could drop in the VTE chat at IRC or we could talk in MP sidechats as usual heh, I'd want to have the best mission coverage for the event as possible.

Anyone else reading this, if you have missions, new ones, ported ones, under work ones, tests... you name it, please let us know, even if your mission is not complete we definitely could give a test run for it.

I'm so looking forward to next weekend now.

@Snake Man

yes i updated my mission to 1.2 beta and ported it to the beautyful ashau map and to quahnbin singletrees map both are MINDBLOWING, pure vietnam, 18 obj with moving convoy, moving sampan , sam sites in starshape guarded by mg bunkers, zsus objectives, i added "clear the area" objectives to all destroy missions and lots of enemys:)

so it differs alot from the 1.1 version.

when a pilot crashs with a chopper he respawns at base ,while when he get only shot in th chopper he falls down and must be revived.

added second rescue heli.

i will test ashau map today again, all welcome.

i have played it yesterday with 3 ppl and it was awsome, no problems so far but had no time to end it so i have no idea if it ends correctly,need to be tested :).

ashau is a really good looking map.

btw i compressed the jimi hendrix song now,mapsize is 2,5mb:)

i have fixed now the mising seize zones on longest day in vietnam on ashau map.

i have made 2 versions now with coop 20 players or 10 players.

still have the issue with 20 players and 2 groupleaders that both can call the same chopper but the chopper will fly to the assigned groupleader.

couldnt find any hint how i could make it that only the assigned groupleader can call his own heli for extraction.

i tried lots of hide radio commands but nothing was really what i was searching for.

i have to report a new bug , the flare gun disapears sometimes when starting a game.

happened yesterday several times.

Edited by horror1

I enjoyed playing with you guys today, that was freaking sheer awesomeness. I'm Augustine btw.