Sign in to follow this  
thomas82

GAME Development (Texturing)

Hello

I'm also developing a game. Its a 3d-learning game, not a FPS-Shooter :-D

My question is how do u texture the roads, areas.. Do u have your own texture-application or do u use any plugin for 3dsmax or from a different company?

I'm also going to buy Arma2 (with 350km roads) coz i'm a ofp-veteran :-D loved your game! I made once the island lipovac and guess how i textured the road.. lol from quad to quad.. :bounce3: but there must be a way to automatize the texturing..

I would be very glad to get a short answer from you.

greetings

thomas aka GGX|John Lennon :)

PS: I'm working (modelling landscape) with 3dsMax2009

I agree completely.

I´m not sure but with Maya there is an plugin interface for Vue 7 that let´s you create a landscape in seconds and is fully embedded in Maya for easy use. I assume that it works with Max aswell. It´s fun to use and you get stunning results in minutes. Used it to visualize an architecture preview of a bridge in the real environment. For sure this is more meant for rendering scenes than for live virtual projects but programs like Unity or Quest already come with a landscape designer that is easy to use and customize. In the end it´s a matter of preference but as you have to use a 3D engine anyway I´d give the Windows version of Unity a shot. It´s not as expensive as Quest and the indie version isn´t bad. No realtime shadows and other eyecandy limitations though.

My hypothesis:

The roads are a repeating tiled texture. The runway for instance is not only tiled but mirrored aswell. As far as I know, what they have is all of the poligons of the roads share the same texture space, except for special sections like intersections and transitions.

check out cityengine... google it... if that thing could be somehow made to work for creation of arma islands... whoot!