Sign in to follow this  
PhilippRauch

Custom 3D Heads

How about offering some service/franchise at Gamestores, where you can digitize your head and be able to use that ingame? Or some software useable with one of those DIYS 3d scanners? Or some import/export plugin or software or whatever to even use those simple 2d->3d head creation softwares out there (like http://www.facegen.com, although that one is quite expensive in full version, maybe the brandmarked head will work still? or some cooperation between both companies? Like a special ArmA2 OEM Lite edition, just exporting to ArmA or so...)

Maybe its a nice idea to set up a scanner on a tradefairs or so for visitors to your booth...

Just thinking of that one... maybe just a dream :rolleyes:

It still would be a problem to share that 3d data with others in mp.

The more applicable thing, would be something, like in-game build model pack in which you could choose "a host" for your face texture. There come games like KONAMI's Pro Evolution Soccer. Where if you're about to design own player using own texture it does allow you to define chick size, eyes position etc.

The ultimate tough would be ability to define like that the posture of player. Bars like choosing voice tone on a generic radio, but instead for regulating player's height, if he's slim/fat and others.

Yeah, or something like that... but my idea shouldnt be a problem with LAN games, where i really would like that... why is sharing that data a problem? All objects are 3d data and if so, lets have the ability to create "clan-head"packs/modfolders, where you can put your clanmembers 'heads' serversided into and all get their goons head...

I just liked the idea ... i know its a bit far fetched... thats how it is with dreams... :)

Well, to be honest, if you pretend to use in on LAN games, then you can simply create an addon of yourself, with your own face model and let friends download that.

Details like that are details, unlike changing posture which I believe is answer to the demands of players who want to distinguish fellow friends from a range above 3m facing your direction.

It would be great to improve quality of custom faces look but it's not essential. It does not give you any functionality.

Custom Faces were there since OFP. The method of sharing as well as limits to keep MP capabilitiy too.

To avoid problems during JIP any kind of customized data like tags/faces/whatever the MP code should handle this traffic with lowest priority.

Until full load of custom faces a standard face can serve as placeholder.

I would even force custom face to be hosted on a HTTP server and downloaded by the clients, thus lowering the stress of the gameserver. Not mentioning, that player would be able to filter thoose faces/decide if want to download them or not.

From my experience with laserscanners the data that you get out of it is pretty rough and still requires alot of work. Even if the point cloud is dense enough and can be meshed its still not good in terms of edgeloops required for animation. The only good thing about it is that it can be used as a sort of 3d blueprint (rather than photo's). In the end you will have to able to still model it urself and texture as well.