Sign in to follow this  
Dr.Pulp

Set Server Password while Server is running

Hi Folx,

is there any way to setup a server password while a mission is running?

I tried it with changing the server.cfg and using the #init command...but that didn't work.

I am using a V1.14 dedicated linux server.

Greetings

Pulp

As far as I know thats not possible, but why dont you just lock the server with the lock command? You can also unlock it again when you want.

I dont think the lock command is the right tool to use...but maybe i am wrong:

We got a public server...but sundays our clan plays coop there. sometimes there are nice people on the server...the mission is interessting, etc. and i don't want to shut it down to use a password.

soemtimes we play evolution...and our server runs as a persistent battlefield. That way we could play the mission the whol week (or how long it takes.) If i lock the server....will somebody be able to join? I think nobody is able to join, if the server is locked right?

Edited by Dr.Pulp

If the server is locked no one can join - although, when the admin logs out, the server unlocks automagically. We at IC use the lock command when the server is getting touchy, we can see people attempt to join and we have a procedure that they know to come to the admin channel in TS and queue up for rejoining.

In your case, I think you want to keep random people from joining a particularly good session. I think #lock would work for you, as you can easily #unlock when you want to allow people in - say while there is a lull in activity.

Other than that, the only way I know is to stop the server, enable the password and restart the server. If all you want is a temporary limit, lock is easy. No need to constantly give the password out to everyone that jumps in TS, just unlock when ready and off to battle you go! ;)

Thx for the Info!

But locking the server won't do for us, cause we like to play some mission like evolution for a week. (once we played a mission 1 month *g*).

Naturally we log out after playing, and want to rejoin where we left.

Can anybody explain the #init command to me then?

i thought it would re-read the server.cfg. what does it do???

Isn't the server.cfg file locked while running server?

So it woulden't help to fix a password while the server is up...