Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Don't know much bout it but Ill be registering with Nvidia's Step Up program which apparently lets you upgrade to latest release within 90 days by just paying the difference.

OT: Does ATI have a similar option as Digital Vibrance? I've been looking everywhere but can't find any way to add back my over saturated goodiness to Arma ;)

Sort of - not as good as DV IMHO.

Open CCC --> Desktops and Displays --> LCDs or whatever --> Display Color

The first box (Color correction) is what you are looking for. Playing around with those 2 sliders sort of emulates DV.

Ahh Saturation and Hue -finally found them in >My Digital Flat Panels > Display Color (Digital Flat Panel). I had been trying with Desktop Color Properties to no luck. Looks better now.

Sounds similar to some results I found when clocking my 6950 - I found upping the GPU speed rarely impacted the results and concluded the CPU was holding back the card in the benchmarks. I also saw decreases when using a RAMDisk - I think (but am no techie) that the CPU/GPU get the data faster and so have more processing to perform, hence the slight decrease in fps. When running from a slower disk the system processes what it can with the data to hand so fps goes up, but the you see texture pop ups when the data finally arrives and is added. I should add I am using fancycache these days as all the files are on SSD disks so there not much in it for a RAMdisk.

cj

Now heres something curious - I upped my cpu from 4.4 to 4.5; still using RamDisk and only Benchmark 8 (OA) jumped in FPS and twas a hefty 7-8 fps consistent averging at 103-105 fps. The strange part is that was on stock 7970 settings (1000/1425), when I Oc'ed the VC again (1125/1575) Bench 8 lost all of that gain averaging at 94 fps...

This really is too much :p I'll leave these benches alone now until 680.

Edited by froggyluv

Yep, it's a shame that Nvidia opted for a 2GB card on release. It seems a little short sighted with so many people gaming at high resolutions/multi monitors etc.

Considering the GK-104 is a very solid card, I can't wait to see what the GK-110 is capable of.

not that many people play games at over 1080p. Besides, these cards were supposed to be the new 560Ti's, the top of the line gpgpu oriented powerhouses will lauch later in the year.

still, a 4GB model would've been nice, but I guess it's slightly more complicated then just sticking chips with twice the size on :P how hard can it be right?

not that many people play games at over 1080p. Besides, these cards were supposed to be the new 560Ti's, the top of the line gpgpu oriented powerhouses will lauch later in the year.

still, a 4GB model would've been nice, but I guess it's slightly more complicated then just sticking chips with twice the size on :P how hard can it be right?

I should really clarify my statement, many in the segment that buy that kind of card do game at high resolutions and/or use multiple monitors, not many people in general.

Even though it is 'supposedly' a midrange card, it is not at a mid range price point, neither is it a mid range performer.

It's not much more complicated than putting more VRAM on the PCB but given the size of the physical card and the limited yields on the 28nm GPU, it was probably more cost effective to stick with a 2GB model for product runs etc.

Edited by BangTail

Which would be better processor for Arma 2 (and 3)?

i3 2120

FX-4100

Phenom 965BE

Phenom 1045T

I've read that i3 beats those first two AMD processors but is it the same thing in Arma? And does that 1045T perform better than i3 2120? 1045T is only 5€ more than i3 2120.

/edit added 1045T

Edited by St. Jimmy

Which would be better processor for Arma 2 (and 3)?

i3 2120

FX-4100

Phenom 965BE

Phenom 1045T

I've read that i3 beats those first two AMD processors but is it the same thing in Arma? And does that 1045T perform better than i3 2120? 1045T is only 5€ more than i3 2120.

/edit added 1045T

I'd get the 1045T, arma 2 might not be able to use all cores effectively but arma 3 will probably make good use of it.

I got this laptop a few weeks ago and i was wondering if it would be safe to buy this game.

Im looking to play it on medium quality i guess but i really dont want to buy it if i have to play it on the lowest settings.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215267

Intel Core i7-2670QM 2.2GHz

8GB DDR3

1TB

AMD Radeon HD 6650M ,Video Memory 2GB DDR3 (this is probaby going to kill me)

Edited by czbuendel
to add link

Try the operation arrowhead demo or arma2:free, and see for yourself.

kind of weird suggestion especially when he can't test any of the above without buying that laptop first. He is asking if he should buy it or not. see the problem ? :P

Hey dere, perhaps you guys can help me tweak out my stuff to get a better performance with OA, or help me figuring out what I may need to buy to make the game run better. I've left most of the settings as Default, but I don't think I'm happy with how it's running anyway. I'll post a screenshot of the settings; beyond that the only thing I changed was the AToC setting to 0 instead of 7.

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/1109/2012041000001a.jpg

What's strange is the game never uses all of my CPU or my memory, so I'm boggled that I tend to get performance issues with the game. Perhaps knowing my specs may help you guys help me figure out what it is.

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.20 GHz

RAM: 4.00 GB

Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

Operation System: Windows 7 64-bit

Mind you, I'm not a super hardcore PC gamer, but I'm just annoyed that it seems to be the ArmA 2 and the Take on Helicopters demo that run absolutely poorly for me. On the settings I've posted, the first benchmark clocks in at about 30 fps, the second clocks in at 15 fps, and the eighth clocks in at 30 again. The thing is, running it on Very High or whatever only has a 3-to-10 fps drop compared to the numbers I posted, and that minor bump has me to believe that perhaps there's something I should be doing to make the game more stable, or to have it run better. I hope you guys can help me figure it out, and if you need more information, please ask. I've never done anything like overclocking or what have you, so any potential boosts will probably be new to me. I'd like to be able to run the game without performance studders, which tends to happen a lot. I'd like to be able to run the game with more bells and whistles, or maybe even at a higher framerate..maybe even have a machine ready for ArmA III, as I feel with the issues I have running ArmA II smoothly seem awfully impossible.

Sorry if my specs or my requests are comical, by the way. :P

@Foffy: I'd try these options in the following order:

1. Try these tweaks

2. Overclock your CPU (3.6, 3.8? on stock cooling)

3. Upgrade your GPU (GeForce 570? Radeon 7850?)

1: Those tweaks give me a mild boost, but not enough.

2: I have no idea on how to overclock...:<

3: Is my GPU the only thing that's the big bumper to my performance? I was thinking of getting a GeForce GTX 580, but with my newbiness, I have no idea if I need anything extra besides the card. I suppose getting a new card will be helpful, considering Take on Helicopters and ArmA III will also be studdery messes on my machine. So perhaps I should aim for a rig ready for those games, too..but as I'm assuming here, it's the GPU that's the singular thing that needs an upgrade.

My Dell XPS can run BF3 in Ultra mode, but struggles to play Arma 2 even with things like shadows and post processing disabled. Is this proper?

Also my windows index graphics rating just dropped from 5.9 to 4.8 with a reassessment, i recently got some malware that wiped everything out of my start menu, could this have affected it?

Edited by frankchickens
doublepost

kind of weird suggestion especially when he can't test any of the above without buying that laptop first. He is asking if he should buy it or not. see the problem ? :P
I got this laptop a few weeks ago

5 chars

Hey all!

Will my PC run arma 2? Sorry if this isn't the section Im mean't to post in!

CPU Intel Core duo E7300 2.66 GHZ

2GB Ram

GPU Geforce 8400 GS

I've been searching other forumns and i've been getting contradictory information :S

Thanks!

GPU Geforce 8400 GS

That's way below minimum requirements.

You might be able to get a cheap replacement secondhand if you're on a budget. You'll have to make sure it fits and the PSU can handle it of course.

So whats letting me down? The GPU?

---------- Post added at 14:04 ---------- Previous post was at 14:01 ----------

Isn't it faster than the geforce 7800?

Hey, if anyone can answer this I'd be pretty happy. As I posted on the last page, I want to get more out of the game. Talking to a few friends, it seems the reason I get poor performance for what I need dominantly has to do with the GPU, so I was thinking of getting a GeForce GTX 580. But, based on the specs I've posted, how exactly do I know if I need anything else? I've never bought individual parts for a PC before, so I'm worrying the card may not function properly or something.

If anyone can help me out here, that would be swell! I want to order the GPU soon.

Hey, if anyone can answer this I'd be pretty happy. As I posted on the last page, I want to get more out of the game. Talking to a few friends, it seems the reason I get poor performance for what I need dominantly has to do with the GPU, so I was thinking of getting a GeForce GTX 580. But, based on the specs I've posted, how exactly do I know if I need anything else? I've never bought individual parts for a PC before, so I'm worrying the card may not function properly or something.

If anyone can help me out here, that would be swell! I want to order the GPU soon.

to upgrade to gtx 580 1st you will need to have a power supply unit of 600w,or any that has a 12V current rating of 42 Amps.

that is according to the EVGA website.

to upgrade to gtx 580 1st you will need to have a power supply unit of 600w,or any that has a 12V current rating of 42 Amps.

that is according to the EVGA website.

How do I know what power supply I have? :<