Page 82 of 140 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692132 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Developer post in this thread.  

Thread: The all new: Ask a moderator about the forum & rules

Quote Originally Posted by [APS]Gnat View Post
    Wow, if BI Forums was a product and you were a salesman, you just got sacked.
    Fortunately, that is not the case. And we are not talking about the whole forums, just one thread. Let's keep this in perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by DM View Post
    Seems to be a common theme lately, the new signup requirements are reportedly putting a lot of new folks off too...
    These two issues are not related. The sign up requirements are to keep spambots out. For what it's worth, it is working very well. I think if users are having problems with it, they ought to give appropriate feedback. I'm am not saying that no feedback has been given. I have seen one or two complaints a while ago, but nothing lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Sickboy View Post
    Makes it sound like the People are here to serve the Moderators, instead of the other way around. (Like governments!! )
    Well, the community has requirements, and moderators also have requirements, and sometimes these things don't line up 100%. In the case of the present thread, if it was all about me I would not have spent 3 days forming a proposal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sickboy View Post
    Personally I don't think it's bad trying to reduce noise when possible. I also know it can be annoying to create/have a thread with a specific intent/purpose, and it then time and time again being abused for the wrong things.
    Still - perhaps there should be two threads then - the heavily moderated workshop with a specific purpose in mind, and a separate thread for more common discussions / show of works etc.
    We have the workshop thread and the upcoming mod thread pair. Of the pair there is a thread for putting whatever you want in there and a thread for commenting on what is in there. The only requirements for the upcoming mods thread are that you post only your own work (or give all involved credit), and only addons and mods without their own thread.
    Last edited by Max Power; Mar 19 2012 at 14:43.

My inbox is fill and won't be emptied. If your PM is regarding requests to use my work, unfortunately I choose not to grant such permission. My work is for use with CWR2 only.

I think the point of contention is that everyone seemed to be happy with how the original thread had progressed, besides yourself (seemed, I'm sure there were others, but the majority were happy). Maybe the original intention of the the thread had changed course somewhat in the many years it had been running, but thats the nature of most threads. To it and its users credit it didn't exactly veer horrifically off topic, things were posted up, things were discussed, praised, commented on, etc. I, like many, saw it not just as a place to share and comment, but also a way of removing the thousands of new threads that used to pop up where someone wanted to show their bulldozer model, claim it to be the next big mod, and disappear into the sunset. The thread kept things in one place.

I'm not entirely sure how one thread being split into two/three threads reduces any burden, other than that they're horribly offputting. One seems better at place in the editing section along with all the other modeling related questions, and the other doesn't allow you to comment/discuss? If the intention is to force people to start a new thread every time they want to discuss something they made without it coming under the rules set forth by the developer workshop thread, doesn't this counter the notion of reducing burden and post count? The post reduction is down to people being put off even bothering with those threads, especially given the current climate of dictation. Allow people to comment in the up and coming thread, let them get praise, feedback, suggestions without needing to create an entirely new, potentially pointless topic.

One serious development thread, one casual discussion thread.

[edit]

appoligies, it seems that intention is there, so ignore a swathe of that post, but I'm struggling to locate the up and comming thread twin?

[edit 2]

ah, found it lurking towards the bottom. I would have expected it to be stickied and easier to locate so people could natter about the stuff posted? Would it be beyond the realms of possibility to have to stickied and located below the no discussion thread? At present it risks dropping off the front page and becoming lost.
    Last edited by Messiah; Mar 19 2012 at 15:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Messiah View Post
    I think the point of contention is that everyone seemed to be happy with how the original thread had progressed, besides yourself (seemed, I'm sure there were others, but the majority were happy). Maybe the original intention of the the thread had changed course somewhat in the many years it had been running, but thats the nature of most threads. To it and its users credit it didn't exactly veer horrifically off topic, things were posted up, things were discussed, praised, commented on, etc. I, like many, saw it not just as a place to share and comment, but also a way of removing the thousands of new threads that used to pop up where someone wanted to show their bulldozer model, claim it to be the next big mod, and disappear into the sunset. The thread kept things in one place.
    There were a few problems, most of which stemmed from the purpose of the thread being extremely vague. Vagueness is a problem for moderators and users. Both kinds of forum users need to interpret these situations, and figure out how a thread should be used. There was a bunch of wildly different opinions on that thread, leading to unnecessary conflict.

I'm not entirely sure how one thread being split into two/three threads reduces any burden, other than that they're horribly offputting. One seems better at place in the editing section along with all the other modeling related questions, and the other doesn't allow you to comment/discuss? If the intention is to force people to start a new thread every time they want to discuss something they made without it coming under the rules set forth by the developer workshop thread, doesn't this counter the notion of reducing burden and post count? The post reduction is down to people being put off even bothering with those threads, especially given the current climate of dictation. Allow people to comment in the up and coming thread, let them get praise, feedback, suggestions without needing to create an entirely new, potentially pointless topic.

One serious development thread, one casual discussion thread.
    The burden is reduced because there is no more dual purpose thread with conflicting applications. No one has to clamp down, complain, or moderate comments for not being 'meaningul' if there is no such requirement. I don't have to read 400 posts per day to make sure everyone is still doing their best to keep the comments meaningful, and the items put up for feedback can actually facilitate meaningful feedback, and the thread isn't duplicating the combat photography thread, and the items posted don't have their own thread already, etc etc. On the users side, they have to worry less about that stuff as well. Now the discussion thread is more like a regular thread, and only the usual posting conventions apply. You have to be on topic, and obey the forum rules proper, and that's all you need to worry about.

appoligies, it seems that intention is there, so ignore a swathe of that post, but I'm struggling to locate the up and comming thread twin?

[edit 2]

ah, found it lurking towards the bottom. I would have expected it to be stickied and easier to locate so people could natter about the stuff posted? Would it be beyond the realms of possibility to have to stickied and located below the no discussion thread? At present it risks dropping off the front page and becoming lost.
    The comments threads for other thread-pairs lately have not had their discussion portion stickied. I guess the possibility is there, but that forum is already full of stickies. If it gets a lot of use, the argument for making yet another sticky in that forum would become much stronger. Perhaps when people start to use these threads, we can consider stickying the discussion thread. For now I can link to the discussion thread in the first post of the display thread.
    Last edited by Max Power; Mar 19 2012 at 15:58.

4.   Click here to go to the next Developer post in this thread.   #814
    Quote Originally Posted by DM View Post
    Seems to be a common theme lately, the new signup requirements are reportedly putting a lot of new folks off too...
    reports and where? i have yet to receive single email myself or PM about it ...

i got 3 forwards and 5 skype messages related to it ... in meantime 100s users registered fine, fully ...

i guess You missed the minor detail "where is the spam" since i deployed various techniques to level the playfield

forums are for discussion, if you want be on them then spending 3-5 more minutes on filling registration form is not gunna kill You

if You in hurry, there is always support email

How do you make 2 posts in a row in one thead? This is post 1.

---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

Here then is post 2 in the same thread.

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

And here is post 3 in the same thread.

How can I make 3 posts in a row and have them appear as 3 posts?

There is a certain time limit on when the software considers it added material and a new post. I'm not sure what that time limit is.

I often access the forums from my iPhone and I note that forum navigation is rather clunky, most times it seems to be simply easier to use my browser's bookmark and start navigating "from the top".

Moreover, from the mobile version of the forum there seems to be no method of editing your posts.

8.   Click here to go to the next Developer post in this thread.   #818
    Author of the Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by DMarkwick View Post
    Moreover, from the mobile version of the forum there seems to be no method of editing your posts.
    This is necessary so we can all laugh at your auto correct errors

Please do not PM or Email me directly about your CD Key issues, follow the guidance in this thread instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Placebo View Post
    This is necessary so we can all laugh at your auto correct errors
    Ah, I see however I disabled my auto-text, so any errors are either errors, deliberate, or the result of Freudian lips.
    Fire And Smoke for ArmA2: JTD_FireAndSmoke v0.2

For better future effects addons, please vote for this ticket.

Question problems with verification

I'm new to this forum and i got the verification email, but i cant change my profile setting like avatars. please help!

Page 82 of 140 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692132 ... LastLast