Placebo

The all new: Ask a moderator about the forum & rules

total stats are less demanding and way more informative,

SOM stats are sadly only on or off not per group optionable

also the list of 'active' users is quite long if there is 500+ of them :)

plus if You click on the NUMBER users online. it brings You to list anyway

so no functionality is lost, it's just not growing out of control on the main page

also be sure the admins, devs and mods see way more and longer statistics than normal users :)

Edited by Dwarden

To the right under settings and logout I'm told I have 83 unread posts. If I click on it I get a list of threads 95% of which I have never visited. Any explanations for this?

Why I mention it is the list grows ever larger and I was concerned resources are being used unnecessarily?

Edited by PELHAM

it's list of unread posts same as when clicking on 'new posts' with different from-time rules applied

resource usage is neglible as all this is one fetch go (not even query count raised)

So at what point is it the statistics are consider to show that a wrong turn was made?

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?74243-WIP-Stuff-you-are-working-on-2!

> 200 posts a month

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?131447-Addon-Developer-Workshop

Heading for < 20 posts in a month.

The last thing this community needs is a strangle-hold on people being creative and getting inspiration from others.

At least put WIP in the thread title ffs.

Agreed.

I never endorsed the "oh look i´ve made a retex/prefab" posts in the former thread,

but then again, at this point the whole boulevard´ish attitude has vanished from the new one.

Even though many will never understand the polycounting going on in it, the former was far more entertaining (& helpful for all polycounters around).

Gnat;2120863']So at what point is it the statistics are consider to show that a wrong turn was made?

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?74243-WIP-Stuff-you-are-working-on-2!

> 200 posts a month

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?131447-Addon-Developer-Workshop

Heading for < 20 posts in a month.

The last thing this community needs is a strangle-hold on people being creative and getting inspiration from others.

At least put WIP in the thread title ffs.

I don't know if post rate is necessarily indicative of thread quality ;)

The whole point of that change was to decrease the post rate. It was aimed to reduce the number of spammy posts and posts without any wip material being shown, and with no actual means of identifying what is wip and what is not. I specifically left WIP out of the titles of all of those threads to distance them from their predecessors. That thread was too high a burden on the moderators, which was told to me repeatedly by moderators when I was still just a user. This is an opinion that I now share as a moderator. Furthermore, that thread was replaced by three threads, not only that one. And, in addition to that, I think any statistical comparison in terms of post rate is totally impossible at this point, given that that WIP thread had years to get going while these ones have only had a few weeks. The first WIP thread's first post was also accompanied by artwork for people to comment on, which I chose not to include.

In sum, the lower post rate is indicative of the thread doing what it is supposed to be doing. People have got meaningful feedback, there has been no spammy garbage, and the moderator burden is very light. It is there if people wish to use it.

... The whole point of that change was to decrease the post rate. .....

Wow, if BI Forums was a product and you were a salesman, you just got sacked.

The whole point of that change was to decrease the post rate.

Seems to be a common theme lately, the new signup requirements are reportedly putting a lot of new folks off too...

Makes it sound like the People are here to serve the Moderators, instead of the other way around. (Like governments!! ;))

Personally I don't think it's bad trying to reduce noise when possible. I also know it can be annoying to create/have a thread with a specific intent/purpose, and it then time and time again being abused for the wrong things.

Still - perhaps there should be two threads then - the heavily moderated workshop with a specific purpose in mind, and a separate thread for more common discussions / show of works etc.

Edited by Sickboy

Gnat;2121780']Wow' date=' if BI Forums was a product and you were a salesman, you just got sacked.[/quote']

Fortunately, that is not the case. And we are not talking about the whole forums, just one thread. Let's keep this in perspective.

Seems to be a common theme lately, the new signup requirements are reportedly putting a lot of new folks off too...

These two issues are not related. The sign up requirements are to keep spambots out. For what it's worth, it is working very well. I think if users are having problems with it, they ought to give appropriate feedback. I'm am not saying that no feedback has been given. I have seen one or two complaints a while ago, but nothing lately.

Makes it sound like the People are here to serve the Moderators, instead of the other way around. (Like governments!! ;))

Well, the community has requirements, and moderators also have requirements, and sometimes these things don't line up 100%. In the case of the present thread, if it was all about me I would not have spent 3 days forming a proposal.

Personally I don't think it's bad trying to reduce noise when possible. I also know it can be annoying to create/have a thread with a specific intent/purpose, and it then time and time again being abused for the wrong things.

Still - perhaps there should be two threads then - the heavily moderated workshop with a specific purpose in mind, and a separate thread for more common discussions / show of works etc.

We have the workshop thread and the upcoming mod thread pair. Of the pair there is a thread for putting whatever you want in there and a thread for commenting on what is in there. The only requirements for the upcoming mods thread are that you post only your own work (or give all involved credit), and only addons and mods without their own thread.

Edited by Max Power

I think the point of contention is that everyone seemed to be happy with how the original thread had progressed, besides yourself (seemed, I'm sure there were others, but the majority were happy). Maybe the original intention of the the thread had changed course somewhat in the many years it had been running, but thats the nature of most threads. To it and its users credit it didn't exactly veer horrifically off topic, things were posted up, things were discussed, praised, commented on, etc. I, like many, saw it not just as a place to share and comment, but also a way of removing the thousands of new threads that used to pop up where someone wanted to show their bulldozer model, claim it to be the next big mod, and disappear into the sunset. The thread kept things in one place.

I'm not entirely sure how one thread being split into two/three threads reduces any burden, other than that they're horribly offputting. One seems better at place in the editing section along with all the other modeling related questions, and the other doesn't allow you to comment/discuss? If the intention is to force people to start a new thread every time they want to discuss something they made without it coming under the rules set forth by the developer workshop thread, doesn't this counter the notion of reducing burden and post count? The post reduction is down to people being put off even bothering with those threads, especially given the current climate of dictation. Allow people to comment in the up and coming thread, let them get praise, feedback, suggestions without needing to create an entirely new, potentially pointless topic.

One serious development thread, one casual discussion thread.

[edit]

appoligies, it seems that intention is there, so ignore a swathe of that post, but I'm struggling to locate the up and comming thread twin?

[edit 2]

ah, found it lurking towards the bottom. I would have expected it to be stickied and easier to locate so people could natter about the stuff posted? Would it be beyond the realms of possibility to have to stickied and located below the no discussion thread? At present it risks dropping off the front page and becoming lost.

Edited by Messiah

I think the point of contention is that everyone seemed to be happy with how the original thread had progressed, besides yourself (seemed, I'm sure there were others, but the majority were happy). Maybe the original intention of the the thread had changed course somewhat in the many years it had been running, but thats the nature of most threads. To it and its users credit it didn't exactly veer horrifically off topic, things were posted up, things were discussed, praised, commented on, etc. I, like many, saw it not just as a place to share and comment, but also a way of removing the thousands of new threads that used to pop up where someone wanted to show their bulldozer model, claim it to be the next big mod, and disappear into the sunset. The thread kept things in one place.

There were a few problems, most of which stemmed from the purpose of the thread being extremely vague. Vagueness is a problem for moderators and users. Both kinds of forum users need to interpret these situations, and figure out how a thread should be used. There was a bunch of wildly different opinions on that thread, leading to unnecessary conflict.

I'm not entirely sure how one thread being split into two/three threads reduces any burden, other than that they're horribly offputting. One seems better at place in the editing section along with all the other modeling related questions, and the other doesn't allow you to comment/discuss? If the intention is to force people to start a new thread every time they want to discuss something they made without it coming under the rules set forth by the developer workshop thread, doesn't this counter the notion of reducing burden and post count? The post reduction is down to people being put off even bothering with those threads, especially given the current climate of dictation. Allow people to comment in the up and coming thread, let them get praise, feedback, suggestions without needing to create an entirely new, potentially pointless topic.

One serious development thread, one casual discussion thread.

The burden is reduced because there is no more dual purpose thread with conflicting applications. No one has to clamp down, complain, or moderate comments for not being 'meaningul' if there is no such requirement. I don't have to read 400 posts per day to make sure everyone is still doing their best to keep the comments meaningful, and the items put up for feedback can actually facilitate meaningful feedback, and the thread isn't duplicating the combat photography thread, and the items posted don't have their own thread already, etc etc. On the users side, they have to worry less about that stuff as well. Now the discussion thread is more like a regular thread, and only the usual posting conventions apply. You have to be on topic, and obey the forum rules proper, and that's all you need to worry about.

appoligies, it seems that intention is there, so ignore a swathe of that post, but I'm struggling to locate the up and comming thread twin?

[edit 2]

ah, found it lurking towards the bottom. I would have expected it to be stickied and easier to locate so people could natter about the stuff posted? Would it be beyond the realms of possibility to have to stickied and located below the no discussion thread? At present it risks dropping off the front page and becoming lost.

The comments threads for other thread-pairs lately have not had their discussion portion stickied. I guess the possibility is there, but that forum is already full of stickies. If it gets a lot of use, the argument for making yet another sticky in that forum would become much stronger. Perhaps when people start to use these threads, we can consider stickying the discussion thread. For now I can link to the discussion thread in the first post of the display thread.

Edited by Max Power

reports and where? i have yet to receive single email myself or PM about it ...

i got 3 forwards and 5 skype messages related to it ... in meantime 100s users registered fine, fully ...

i guess You missed the minor detail "where is the spam" since i deployed various techniques to level the playfield

forums are for discussion, if you want be on them then spending 3-5 more minutes on filling registration form is not gunna kill You

if You in hurry, there is always support email

How do you make 2 posts in a row in one thead? This is post 1.

---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

Here then is post 2 in the same thread.

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

And here is post 3 in the same thread.

How can I make 3 posts in a row and have them appear as 3 posts?

There is a certain time limit on when the software considers it added material and a new post. I'm not sure what that time limit is.

I often access the forums from my iPhone and I note that forum navigation is rather clunky, most times it seems to be simply easier to use my browser's bookmark and start navigating "from the top".

Moreover, from the mobile version of the forum there seems to be no method of editing your posts.

Moreover, from the mobile version of the forum there seems to be no method of editing your posts.

This is necessary so we can all laugh at your auto correct errors ;)

meal-plan-justin.jpg

This is necessary so we can all laugh at your auto correct errors ;)

Ah, I see :) however I disabled my auto-text, so any errors are either errors, deliberate, or the result of Freudian lips.

I'm new to this forum and i got the verification email, but i cant change my profile setting like avatars. please help!:confused:

Anti-spam feature for new posters, once you're over a certain limit of "proper" posts such things will be possible, don't worry about your avatar just worry about finding valid discussions to contribute to and before you know it all will be available :)

You lack the required permissions. You will gain those permissions as your post count grows :)