Sign in to follow this  
quiet_man

How close to the original? (don't know the books)

Hello BI,

having seen the teaser everything looked pretty similar exept that there seam to be Pilots. The original had range limited "remote control" which added interesting tactical limitations.

So I wonder what design phase the game is at? Are the mechanics already fixed? How close are they planed to be at the original? Very close or only loose?

Thank you,

QuietMan

We stick with the mechanisms of the old game including remotely controlled vehicles as close as possible.

We also hope that a new possibility of going right into the action with your character could be good and refreshing enhancement of the original game concept.

I'm quite interested to see how this game will turn out. Namely the multiplayer aspects of it. Hopefully we get some info soon :)

Wow! That is awesome! That was one of my all-time favorite games back in the early 90's (actually might have been late 80's) when I played it on my Commodore Amiga 500 computer. I've been amazed that nobody has done a modern version of this classic game.

There was also another game similar to Carrier Command, but unfortunately I can't remember the name of it. It had a nice variety of vehicles including a cool looking stealth bomber... I just wish I could remember its name. Anyways, I'm really happy that someone is doing a remake of Carrier Command.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Wow! That is awesome! That was one of my all-time favorite games back in the early 90's (actually might have been late 80's) when I played it on my Commodore Amiga 500 computer. I've been amazed that nobody has done a modern version of this classic game.

There was also another game similar to Carrier Command, but unfortunately I can't remember the name of it. It had a nice variety of vehicles including a cool looking stealth bomber... I just wish I could remember its name. Anyways, I'm really happy that someone is doing a remake of Carrier Command.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I think you're remembering Armour-Geddon by Psygnosis. Another fantastic Amiga game.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Yep me 2, had loads of fun on that game back on the old 286.

I had heard that there was a remake in the works, didnt know who was doing it, and as I am following ArmA2, I just noticed this forum.

At first I thought, nah, this is too different to OFP / Arma etc, but when I think about it, the prior experience that Bohemia have, as well as their engine are perfectly suited to this. Really its just like Arma, except you incorporate different vehicles etc. So I think this project will turn out well.

One question: Are staff working on this also involved with ArmA ? I would think they would have to be because the experience they have would be relevant to this project.

@thaFunkster

There was two for some time, only one was looking good ... i was tracking him for five years now :D

http://www.gamedev.net/profile/profile.asp?mode=view&id=53792

@MilesTeg

Maybe you are talking about Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising - same concept, much better graphics, but with missions - you cant do what you want :(

its for 6$ today, if you want to try it (this game really helps to survive until CC:GM is released :D )

Regarding the chap who was writing a remake since 2003: could one of the BIS team clarify that no legal threat was made towards the guy?

I have read most of his development notes and I haven't seen him hint at any intention to eventually release his code as a commercial product. It started out, and seemed to remain a project for himself and a community of enthusiasts of the original game.

Considering he has been working on his project presumably long before BIS decided to get their mits on the IP rights, can you justify any legal threat made to the chap (IF any were actually made)?

If I was in BIS's shoes I'd be getting this guy onboard - he knows the game inside-out, and has an obvious passion and commitment to the project...

Regarding the chap who was writing a remake since 2003: could one of the BIS team clarify that no legal threat was made towards the guy?

I have read most of his development notes and I haven't seen him hint at any intention to eventually release his code as a commercial product. It started out, and seemed to remain a project for himself and a community of enthusiasts of the original game.

Considering he has been working on his project presumably long before BIS decided to get their mits on the IP rights, can you justify any legal threat made to the chap (IF any were actually made)?

If I was in BIS's shoes I'd be getting this guy onboard - he knows the game inside-out, and has an obvious passion and commitment to the project...

it would appear as if bis indeed did threaten the guy, since they never even bothered answering your question.

also ive found no indication of bis actually owning any of the IP for carrier command or any news to the fact, one is left with a rather bad taste...

i for one would also love a clarification as to what has been going on and a simple clarification as to who owns the IP currently

but it is lovely to see one of my favorite oldies remade, even if it is going to be consolif*'ed :rolleyes:

Hello,

I am sorry for taking so much time to respond to this - I was swamped by work and I must have unintentionally missed this thread.

To answer your question:

To the best of my knowledge there were no legal threats made towards the guy behind the remake of CC.

In any case he changed the name of his game to Archipelago and decided to continue his work. :thumbsup: (check the link posted above)

Looks like all the fans of his remake think this release will be bad, and dumbed down for the console generation.

I hope for everyones sake BIS will do what they do best and keep this hardcore and realistic :)

Worth noting: Some game developers create individual versions for each supported platform - not - ports. Ports of games from one platform to another is what causes grievance among fans. We've yet to learn how CC:GM will be handled.

The controls for walrus, manta etc have always been very easy. So I don’t think dumbing it down for the consoles would even be necessary, its already fine as it is. Controlling the carrier is just about navigating different menus, so the consoles should be able to handle that aswell...