Sign in to follow this  
vektorboson

Useful tools

I don't know if there is already such a thread (probably yes, in that case please direct me to it/merge it into it)

In case you have suggestions/tools that fit into this theme, please post your toolset/solution.

---

Collaborative text-editor: Gobby

I've stumbled unto this seemingly very nice program, which enables collaborative text editing; this can be useful for editing together scripts and configs (and other text-based files). I see a use for editing ad-hoc MP-missions, or helping people with scripts/configs directly instead of having to repost the changes over and over again in new posts.

Gobby (collaborative text-editor)

---

Version control: Mercurial

Some people here are already using version control systems like Subversion (svn); the downside of svn is, that it requires a central repository, so you can only make commits/changes if you're having a connection to it (eg an Internet connection).

Mercurial in contrast is a Distributed Version Control System; you can make commits at any time. Every repository is a so-called branch, and sharing your branch is pretty easy: Either you start an ad-hoc server or you simply upload your .hg-directory somewhere on the web.

You can use Mercurial to track your changes to an 'official' release of a mission, like your changes to Warfare a.s.o., even there isn't an official repository.

There are two variants for Windows-users, the command-line official release, or the GUI-version TortoiseHg:

Official mercurial homepage

TortoiseHg homepage

Hg Book (a manual to Mercurial)

---

Text-file merging / "Diff": KDiff3

KDiff3 is a (threeway) text-merging application, especially useful for merging svn- and mercurial-conflicts.

This way, whenever your favorite script was changed, you can easily track the differences between the original script version, your edited version and the new 'official' version.

KDiff3 homepage

---

Text-search/'grep': SourceGlob

In case you need to search for some text in many text-files, you can use SourceGlob. This is nice to browse a collection of scripts/configs and to find out how they work together; or you want to find every occurence of a specific class-name.

SourceGlob homepage