Sign in to follow this  
mr.g-c

Units drawing Distance in relation to Viewdistance

Hello BIS Devs, there is one Problem in Arma which bothers me a bit and i suggest to solve this for Arma2.

Its the Drawing Distance of Units, in relation to your set Viewdistance.

Since MODs like ACE are available, which are featuring realistic engagement ranges of weapons like TOW (~3.6km), Hellfire (~8km), etc. it is in current Arma almost impossible to use them without either a very bad framerate or to having the ultra-killer PC of the century. tounge2.gif

Problem is that it seems, that the Rendering is only done to about 2/3 or ~66% of the set Viewdistance. wow_o.gif

So as i tried to engage enemy Tanks at 3000m Distance, i had to set my VD to 5000m.

As i wanted to attack enemy Targets at 4000m, i had to set it to almost 6000-7000m in order to see enemy units rendered and so on.

So please BIS, render Units until the "End" of the Set Viewdistance if possible.

Thank you!

although i havnt played arma, i completely agree... i cant stand knowing an enemy is on the next hill but i cant engage because i can see the hill, but i cant see them!!!

Yes, please. There should be an object drawdistance slider.

This variable is controlled via the object detail drop down menu. It's not total control over that but it does govern the distance at which units are drawn.

This variable is controlled via the object detail drop down menu.  It's not total control over that but it does govern the distance at which units are drawn.

Does not help at all.

It seems that the last "3rd" of the viewdistance is always blended out somehow, withput rendering anything besides the pure ground.

So again, if you want to have real 3000m Viewdistance, you have to set it to 5000m.

This variable is controlled via the object detail drop down menu.  It's not total control over that but it does govern the distance at which units are drawn.

While this may not completely fix it it does 'fix' the last invisible LOD of some objects which causes them to dissapear even before the 66% render distance, which is IMO much more annying when you have to play with lower object detail settings because of a crappy PC. I hope this wont be in ArmA2, even a flat texture is better then nothing.