Sign in to follow this  
hit-man

Arma on 4850 X2 2GB vram

Good morning,

does anybody know how Arma would run and benefit of 2 GB Videoram (e.g. 4850 X2) comparing to a single GTX280 (890 MB) ?

thanks a lot,

cheers,

hit-man

You don't gain anything,because it's double gpu card.So there is 1gb of memory/gpu.

So Arma can't handle this ? Does it take any advantage at all of a 2x Card ? Regarding this, is there any statement by BI what Graphicards perform best with Arma ?

Arma and Ati drivers cant handle crossfire in arma.So your second gpu would do nothing(sigh,4870 x2). sad_o.gif I think best cards are 4870 (x2 also,effectively 1gb card) and gtx 280,or if there is newer nvidia card.1gb card reduces lag when turning/zooming,don't go for less.Someone said he got nice boost when he upgraded from c2d to Q9550 cpu with new motherboard.I have bombed Ati supportAti feedback for profile for arma,but nothing yet.Everybody should bomb them daily,so we could get profile some day.

Judging by my previous experiences, I believe there will be a performance benefit. When I switched from an NVidia 7950GT to the 7950GX2 there was definitely a performance increase. Albeit it wasn't 2x as much as before - more like +20 or 30%.

Arma and Ati drivers cant handle crossfire in arma.....

CF and CFX work in ARMA. Have to rename the arma.exe I use fear.exe.. As for ATI getting a profile out... well lets hope BIS does some code for multigpus in ARMA 2... well i hope for it in ARMA 3...

Best card for ARMA would be the fastest 285, you can find. Tho my pair of 4870x2s in "quad" fire is awesome up intill it CTDs..., do to some BIS/MS/AMD_ATI usage of RAM and Vidram... Also the large RAM (2g) vidcards cant run more than 3gigs of system ram in Vista64. or its black screen or run in window... i just turn down the boot.ini's maxmem.... sad...

Oh CF scales fine too.

Using fear.exe with 2 3870x2s in crossfire x appreciates the game performance considerably when compared to arma.exe. Unfortunately, there are some HDR lighting artifacts you have to learn to live with.

Yep,but enabling cat a.i raised my fps(in editor with just bmp2)from 260 to 290,so it's not much.But 2d/3d flickering is so bad that i can't take it.

Thanks to all for your posts. I can understand that Game Producers generally should not recommend one or the other GPU producer. But as we all know, Arma is tough to find out your best quality/performance settings.Anyway i read that e.g. nVidia's 260s run a bit better than my first favored 4870.

Some questions remain unanswered, maybe you can help:

1) If not a CF/X2 card, would Arma benefit of 2 GB videoram anyway ?

2) I've read too that Arma needs CPU power, but what i've seen, my C2D E6600 was never stretched to the max ? Afai remember it was about 50-70 % ?