Sign in to follow this  
sk3pt

Floating Zone

Please make it possible to bind a key to the 'floating zone', a toggle between 'floating zone' and 'non-floating'.

In addition, I would like the floating zone for normal view/non-zoomed to be equal to the zoomed out one (max before you NEED to turn your body), even if it means the rifle would go "off screen". That would be great for those who use TrackIR/FreeTrack.  Maybe you would have to un-tick "weapon always visible/restrict to screen" in floating zone settings.

[EDIT]

Removed <s>strikethrough</s>

Floating zone is totaly useless and its better to disable it. It offers nothing... I think it might be useful in VBL (for training) but in a game it just makes it difficult to play.

Floating zone is totaly useless and its better to disable it. It offers nothing... I think it might be useful in VBL (for training) but in a game it just makes it difficult to play.

Not really. It's extremely useful when you play with crosshairs disabled as you can look through your sights without blocking any view by moving the gun down in a low ready position.

Isnt looking down the sights not "locked" enough?

My guess is that you want it for CQB, so you have your sights up most of the time anyway.

Honestly I dont see the need for another key "wasted" (however its optional to use the key ofc)

Not really. It's extremely useful when you play with crosshairs disabled as you can look through your sights without blocking any view by moving the gun down in a low ready position.

Yeah, I like it with the cross hair disabled so it's not just 'target with the center of the screen'.

Exactly! Would be great if it was possible to set the floating zone for X and Y separately (two sliders). That way you could choose not to use the LEFT/RIGHT floating zone, and maybe even set the UP/DOWN zone wider than what's possible ATM.

You always know where the center of your screen is and you can make kills without crosshair.

Floating zone takes ages to turn and makes it feel strange, compairing to everyother FPS games.

Why would having the option to toggle free aim hurt you? Why are you so much against it? You could still play exactly like you're used to in CS.

It exists.

There's an option to toggle it on/off.

why change or remove? Preference of any can be met, nothing to bitch about

It exists.

There's option to set floating zone size. There's no option to bind a key to quickly toggle floating zone on/off. Ie, toggle free aim.

You always know where the center of your screen is and you can make kills without crosshair.

Floating zone takes ages to turn and makes it feel strange, compairing to everyother FPS games.

Thats your main problem, ArmA is not your everyother FPS game and you should not expect it to be.

It exists.

There's option to set floating zone size. There's no option to bind a key to quickly toggle floating zone on/off. Ie, toggle free aim.

I was answering the "better remove it", but now that I re-read the sentence, the suggestion was not to remove it but for players to disable it, my bad.

I use maximum float and press Alt for precision shooting, works fine exept you can do 360 sweeps in "Alt mode".

Hmmm... maybe you should be forced to use the floating zone when prone , even if you disable it.  wink_o.gif

I find floating zone quite useful - it allows you to position yourself to aim on an angle while your body is still facing straight ahead. The most common use I can think of is shooting while prone around a corner with only your right shoulder being visible - which isn't possible with it turned off, or some crazy use of the Alt key. Then again, I remember the first time I played OFP when it just came out, and I was thinking "wtf is this?" - it takes some getting used to.

Why not make it a bit more customizable ?

idwqxl.jpg

Why not make it a bit more customizable ?

Good point, it does get a little annoying when jogging.

Setting "restrict to screen = no" would allow the floating zone to have the same limits as the ALT key currently does in iron sight mode, which has a far greater span than the max floating zone. That means the weapon would move "off screen" (if you don't have TrackIR/Freetrack this setting should be set to 'yes' ) .

A hot key (press and hold) would be very beneficial when in iron sight mode while playing with no cursor, as it would allow lowering your weapon ; release the hot key and the weapon snaps back up again.

Actually, I think people who don't normally play with the floating zone, might start using it if this was possible.