Sign in to follow this  
suma

Incremental steering (no autocenter for mouse)

There is one feature I would like to highlight, and that is incremental mouse bindings, which allow more natural vehicle steering using mouse (no autocentering when steering).

To use them you need to bind them manually:

Unbind Mouse left / Mouse right from your Car left/Car right

Bind Mouse left / Mouse right to Car more left / Car more right

Incremental mouse bindings currently work for cars only, other vehicles (tanks, boats, bikes) are to be added in the final patch.

Your feedback is welcome in this topic.

Excellent! You need to get used to it, but that was the case after 10 minutes of driving whereas i did never get used to the auto centering system.

Tho it is only possible in first person view. I may need more practice but i just can't drive in third person view because I need to see the steering wheel.

Also, if the whole thing was more insensitive it wouldnt be bad. Right now i move my mouse a little bit and the steering wheel turned from full right to full left.

I can't find 'car more left/more right', neither can I find 'Czech & German'. sad_o.gif

Something I've missed perhaps...

I didn't find Car more left / Car more right, instead I found Czech & German in the options huh.gif .

Edit:

Screenshot

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums....-34.jpg

There does not appear to be any writing for it (in English language anyway), just a blank space

Turn left

Turn right

*Blank* (incremental left)

*Blank* (incremental right)

Forward

So just bind the keys to the respective blank spaces.

I thought this meant the view would not auto centre after 'looking', OFP style, but seems that is still there.

I don't have any blank spaces either.

This may be a dumb question, but are you using 1.15 or 1.14?

Quote[/b] ]New: "Absolute" mouse control bindings (no auto centering) are now possible.

I could not find a way to assign this at first (controls dialog).

However if you create a new profile, it contains these new entries (xxx.ArmAProfile):

Quote[/b] ]keyCarWheelLeft[]={};

keyCarWheelRight[]={};

---

Quote[/b] ]keyCarWheelLeft[]={1048576};

keyCarWheelRight[]={1048577};

This is mouse left and right assigned to the new keys.

Very sweet to drive now again. xmas_o.gif

At the start it needs some time to get used to, as you

are so used to auto centering. Probably depends much

on the personal mouse sensitivity too.

Quote[/b] ]keyCarLeft[]={203,196616,30};

keyCarRight[]={205,196608,32};

//A / D

I recommend you to keep the old "Car left" and "Car right"

available on your former keys as the new keys don't work

work tanks it seems.

Nice feature, I like it!

It does not feel 100% right, but way better then the overdone autocenter function.

You should really start OFP one more time an look how it is there:

- No autocenter when not driving.

- No autocenter when driving reverse.

- autocenter when driving forward(but not so overdone like in arma)

Another thing that is needed, is the possibility to look up and down a little bit when sitting in a car/truck/etc (like in OFP). At the moment the view is vertical fixed which feels very bad.

Last thing has been mentioned some month ago and I showed a small video for better understanding. It's about the head movement with activated freelook in cars/etc.

http://lee.plankton.ch/Freelook.wmv

Thanks for this topic Suma!

Discussions like this are needed to get:

- ArmA I better!

&

- ArmA II released in a final state.

Thanks again.

MfG Lee

Nice.

However, after driving with the new "no auto-centre with mouse", I think that using the old "auto-centre left/right keys" should still reset the steering back to centre like normally too, so you can use them in combination as needed.

It doesn't make sense to have the auto-centre left/right keys active at all otherwise, with it's current "centre" being offset to where you left the mouse.

I liked it at first but after toying around a bit with it i disabled it again.

What it needs is a bigger "deadzone" that does "center" it again. Right now it's just a bit too sensitive on my setup.

It would be great if i had to move my mouse more to get full left / right.

It's very hard to drive in a straight line in the current state.

I don't know how you guys did it in OFP, but that worked really well!

Hehe, yeah I'm driving like a drunken baboon now, all over unable to steer straight. tounge2.gif

I got my computer up and running again and what a pleasant surprise.  Thank you BIS and Suma for this update!!!

After checking out the new steering feature ingame, it works great!  IMO, the system itself is better even than original OFP (i.e. In new system the X-axis of the mouse essentially maps to the steering wheel vs "steering toward the dot" in original OFP).

It does seem like the sensitivity is set way too high though.  Thus it's almost impossible to drive straight.  A deadzone may help as well.  However, the main thing is to lower the sensitivity.

btw- I can't help but wonder if my Mouse-Auto-Center remover tool had anything to do with particular patch feature? tounge2.gif  Whether or not that was the case, we really needed this "toggle" and BIS delivered.  Merry Christmas indeed! xmas_o.gif

I think it would help to have a cursor available while driving (and

flying) like in OFP. It gives one a better response for the mouse

movement done.

Like stated the keyboard keys should have the old system to

auto center if needed and do hard turns easily.

Bit too sensitive indeed. Not sure though if a deadzone alone is

the answer. It needs to be combined with slower wheel turning.

A new slider called "vehicle mouse sensitivity" might be an idea to

allow people tweak it themselves.

Nice feature.

I agree with that it is a bit too sensitive. Even when I brought down the mouse sensitivity to almost 0 there was an considerable amount of steering.

I know it is hard to find the right balance when you have 900 degrees of steering wheel and when people have all sorts of mouse sensitivities.

You should have a bit higer sensitivity to be able to make a full left/full right with your mouse on a reasonable distance on your desktop.

So I think a "Vehicle steering sensitivity" slider in controls may be handy.

People ask for realism and sim and dont like it when they get it and when they try to drive a car with 900 degree wheel with a mouse. Get a Logitech G25 900 degree steerig wheel and you'll love this feature biggrin_o.gif .

As for the controls mapping...yea..it doesn't show up in the ingame controls for me too. Even tho when I create a new profile. The option is only in the profile file.

Thanks for the 1.15 patch. Many important fixes and hope you get the feedback you need.

Can't wait wait to try out the MP fixes in the IC-Arma Armored Battle this weekend with 70+ people.

Cheers,

i like this new feature, the only down side right now seems to be the over sensitiveness

for those who cant find the name of the feature in control setup menu, try to find "mouse left/right (Abs)"

Well, good luck trying to drive in 3rd person without autocentering smile_o.gif No autocentering or crosshair or other indicator makes it practically impossible.

OFP does have autocentering on both mouse/keyboard, believe it or not. Mouse centers on the crosshair (even if it doesn't show).

ArmA however applies the same rules to mouse as it does keyboard and it's probably just too harsh.. You need to move the mouse pretty violently to reach the max turning rate because it autocenters very fast and isn't very sensitive.

I can drive OK with just keyboard, even better with both, but not very well with just mouse.

I personally only want to remove autocentering from flying and ONLY if we get a pile of indicators/crosshair. (try Google Earth flying with mouse), but I realise it would take some getting used to.

i also found it more easier to drive in free look (TIR off) as the head turning rate is more close to the wheel turning rate, there is also a down side through, as you have to make sure that your wheel is line up at the center together with you view point, and thats hard to do without a very little help from autocentering

also when in free look there is a sort of torque stree effect happening, which is another side effect of free looking

Now that I've had some time to test it, I agree that it's too sensitive. We're moving the mouse a few centimetres and the steering wheel is turning a half revolution. It takes some time in real life to turn a steering wheel. I think that it would be easier to control and more realistic if it was less sensitive. Having to pick up your mouse and replace it to get at the very edges of the steering envelope may even simulate hand over hand turning.

What it needs is a bigger "deadzone" that does "center" it again. Right now it's just a bit too sensitive on my setup.

Yeah, some kind of auto center weight curve perhaps...

a405tf.jpg

Having to pick up your mouse and replace it to get at the very edges of the steering envelope may even simulate hand over hand turning.

please no. that'd just suck.

Having to pick up your mouse and replace it to get at the very edges of the steering envelope may even simulate hand over hand turning.

please no. that'd just suck.

Haha! I didn't mean in a 1:1 ratio... but if you're going to make it less sensitive then it will increase the amount you need to move the mouse to turn a given rate. Maybe if they gave it some kind of parabolic rate.