Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

M32 needs a longer reload time same for Gustav and Javelin, why should they be able to reload so fast.

Please make them take longer, they can be exploited in battle too easily.

Looks good, review isnt using a very high resolution though or AA.

Cant wait for 29th June!

Edited by Flash Thunder

It's possible. It's my understanding the Scar models as well as maybe a few others were from ACE.

ACE 2 doesn't have any SCAR models, and I doubt BIS would use mods as official stuff. This is like saying "Bohemia took ACE's M2A3 Bradleys!" which doesn't make sense as it's still the same vehicle and there's only so few ways in which you can render it.

Edited by Hamm

ACE 2 doesn't have any SCAR models, and I doubt BIS would use mods as official stuff. This is like saying "Bohemia took ACE's M2A3 Bradleys!" which doesn't make sense as it's still the same vehicle and there's only so few ways in which you can render it.

You know that there was an ACE 1 before ACE 2, right? :p

The SCAR's (and most likely the M-32 and M-110 as well) from ACE 1 were purchased by BI... hence the reason why the SCARs weren't present in ACE 2. (although I'm not sure why the M-32 and M-110 still are... maybe the SCAR was meant to be exclusive?)

Funny you should say that. There's a reason ACE 2 doesn't have SCAR models, and I wasn't talking about ACE 2, I said ACE, but I should of specified. And also I was not implying that BIS "took" anything. It's my understanding that some of the modelers sold their models (or were offered a price) to BIS. Theres nothing wrong with this as you may have seen, some of these mods, like RH's weapon packs are some fantastic stuff. Anywho once with the models, BIS can fix them up and retexture all they want. Along with the SCAR models I believe the HK 417's are also in the same boat, last I heard. So ACE team is not allowed to include a SCAR model in the current ACE2 mod at least until Arrrowhead is released.

---------- Post added at 02:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 AM ----------

You know that there was an ACE 1 before ACE 2, right? :p

The SCAR's (and most likely the M-32 and M-110 as well) from ACE 1 were purchased by BI... hence the reason why the SCARs weren't present in ACE 2. (although I'm not sure why the M-32 and M-110 still are... maybe the SCAR was meant to be exclusive?)

Late additions maybe, as they, M-32 and M-110, were never mentioned or suggested to be featured in OA until the recent previews this past month. Soon enough to fit it into the finalized builds of the game, but too late for exclusivity rights as they were already in the mod upon release.

Edited by Steakslim

My bad, didn't know they'd purchased the SCAR models! Thought you guys meant they were going the cheap way and using modders' work.

Oh, no. If that was the case this entire forum would be on lockdown from the shitstorm that would have ensued.

This new training area is very nicely made. I doubt anybody will now be able to complain about not having something in the game that eases them in. Hopefully there will be similarily comprehensive (and stable) trainings for vehicles too.

The new toys look beautiful too. Only things that are now missing for the weapons are targeting brackets for the Javelin, and the holographic reticule on the scar needs to look like its actually a projected light, not a very fine stencil on the glass.

Thank you in advance for this new training area, BIS, now I finally might be able to drag my friends who refused to play the game over the complexity of the keyboard layout into Arma 2.

Only things that are now missing for the weapons are targeting brackets for the Javelin, and the holographic reticule on the scar needs to look like its actually a projected light, not a very fine stencil on the glass.

For the Javelin, BIS needs to just port Mandos Javelin into the official game, since he did an excellent job on the interface and the sounds.

Reload times need to be longer

agreed with the holograph sight, maybe make it higher polygon, it looks too blocky in this game compared to the real thing.

Improve the hand textures please BIS, they still look like playdough and the small shadow bug on the left hand is still there.

nitpicks but this is called the polishing phase hopefully BIS has time to make sure theres no significant problems on release.

Love the training area, maybe add some people to it though....some guys doing push ups and a mortar pit. :)

So ACE team is not allowed to include a SCAR model in the current ACE2 mod at least until Arrrowhead is released.

Im a bit confused by this, Is it a question or a statement, If its a statement then surely its utter BS as ACE being a modding team, like any modding individual can create anything they like, Why would they be stopped from creating something?

Is it really BIS's way to say 'dont put scars in ace2 or else!'

In all honesty, i cant really see BIS caring to much about the scar, its just a gun.

Yes that would be a really good Idea, give the Training site some Life

Nice training area, but the weapon reports and particle effects really stand out like a sore thumb, compared to the quality of the rest of the game.

Will the audio from the guy explaining everything be included as well? I believe this makes it even easier to follow all the steps. Like in the original you're trained by someone who is actually there and he's giving you instructions, now I don't see anybody but I do hope we will still hear someone.

Im a bit confused by this, Is it a question or a statement, If its a statement then surely its utter BS as ACE being a modding team, like any modding individual can create anything they like, Why would they be stopped from creating something?

Is it really BIS's way to say 'dont put scars in ace2 or else!'

In all honesty, i cant really see BIS caring to much about the scar, its just a gun.

Nope, Nobody is stopping ACE from adding SCARs to their mod, but the specific model p3d that's probably been licensed by BIS can't be added to the mod.

Then again only the creator and BIS will know what the exact terms of the agreement were.

More positive feedback about the preview version makes me positively more excited.

It´s nothing really new in there, I guess, but by now it´s pretty obvious how consistently good the press response was, even from places that were previously pretty harsh about Arma 2.

In a mix of alchemy and computer code, these procedurally generated landscapes will, it's promised, be the same on everyone's computer. Which means that you could, if you were so inclined, create a mission that takes place 100km away from the main areas included in the game, and the randomly-generated terrain to reach it as well as the area itself will be exactly the same for everyone who plays it. The AI will also be able to find itself around this terrain as well. It's a stunning display of computer wizardry, and has unlimited potential for mod teams to play with.

Now that's a wonderful piece of news for MP and "journeys into the no man's land". Also it's a next step to my dream of generating objects (trees and stuff) in the not-so-random terrain after all.

Now that's a wonderful piece of news for MP and "journeys into the no man's land". Also it's a next step to my dream of generating objects (trees and stuff) in the not-so-random terrain after all.

I hope the map limitations on the editor will be removed, for example, one cannot create a mission 100km outside of the main island if the editor won't allow them.

So what we're going to do with the now really infinite terrain? :D We reduce it to an artificial size of 4 squad kilometer of course :p

No, seriously ... that sounds great! I wonder if this feature will be patched to Chernarus as well. The map would surely benefit from it.

Where is it promised that the procedural terrain will have trees, bushes, stones and the rest? Or is it the procedural landscape as given in ARMA2? The clean one. Anyone have the text where BIS says this? Or any reviewer that has seen it?

Might hog the performance even more also since there will be tons more objects - infinite terrain around the island itself... Or maybe its handled in a way that it doesnt take a toll before your actually there? No clue, but it sounds fun.

Where is it promised that the procedural terrain will have trees, bushes, stones and the rest? Or is it the procedural landscape as given in ARMA2? The clean one. Anyone have the text where BIS says this? Or any reviewer that has seen it?

Might hog the performance even more also since there will be tons more objects - infinite terrain around the island itself... Or maybe its handled in a way that it doesnt take a toll before your actually there? No clue, but it sounds fun.

Hi Alex,

As for your question - there was no such promise... that's why I wrote "my dream" :)

The infinite terrain must already be handled in such a way that it doesn't affect you before you're actually there - otherwise it would always require infinite processing power. :D

I think adding basic clutter to the infinite terrain shouldn't be too hard, because clutter is static. You just need to create a procedural algorithm that makes it look random and believable.

^^ Yeah i know MadDog, but i thaught about "object count" wich is said to be lower in OA. But with infinite land + all vegetation and rocks etc object count to load up would be...infinite number of objects. :D

Thats how i imagined it. But maybe it would be handled in another way. Dont know tbh.

New video from OA maybe today, but rather later than earlier. Michal from IDEA is seriously busy right now ;)

Hi all

...Which means that you could, if you were so inclined, create a mission that takes place 100km away from the main areas included in the game, and the randomly-generated terrain to reach it as well as the area itself will be exactly the same for everyone who plays it. The AI will also be able to find itself around this terrain as well. It's a stunning display of computer wizardry, and has unlimited potential for mod teams to play with...

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/108/1086536p1.html

If you are a pilot this is gravy.

I hope there is a get random seed function so we can discover and recreate great terrains. Please Please BIS!

ArmA will become the safari and exploration game par excellence!

Kind Regards walker